Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 02:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lopsided bus  (Read 1034 times)
solodon

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

Hi, well the relay valve is on the way.  Bought 50' of hose and 20 ferruels, and it's time to move on to the next problem.  I but in new bags on the rear with plates, and new air lines from the valves.  When the bus is aired up it sits level from side to side as it should.  When I shut the bus off the passenger side deflates in about 20 minutes while the driver side takes a few hours.  I've checked the fittings, lines, and the bag to mounting surfaces with soapy water and cannot find any leaks.  What am I missing?Huh

Thanks

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »

Have you checked the front leveling valve? Seems like a remember there is a leveling valve for the front and perhaps in the space for the spare tire.

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »

The 2 rear valves control the side to side leveling,so check the leveling valve on the side that leaks down

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »

Too much of a coincidence to be anything but directly connected with the work you have done. Bags or airlines.

georgemci102a2

1988 MCI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »

I had this same issue,and it was the level/height valve sticking.I found a 3 to 4 foot metal rod and with the bus running,reach in there with the rod and keep tapping on the valve and see if helps .It did in my case. Hope that works for you.   Ps ive since replaced the valves,but carry the rod in the bus as part of my tool box.  George.

1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

You are on the right track looking for a leak because that's the only possibility.  If you did not leak test the valve, of course do that including the fittings on the valve.  Also carefully check the lines for a crack.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »

Tag Bag or lift valve that switches deflate for that side and inflates lift can?  first would be leveling valve that side as many pointed out. 

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »

Leveling valves are very sensitive, it takes very little movement to make one leak. They have internal check valves which leak.

This leak has nothing to do with anything upstream of the LV once the bus is parked and the valves have time to even the axle/body space.

Your leak is between the LV and air bags.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
solodon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »

Okay, it's been a while with the lopsided situation.  I removed the valve, added air and stuck in a bucket....lots of air bubbles.  Pressurized each side individually after the valve and neither lost even 1/16 of an inch in 24 hours.  Since both sides would go down, and the one side was still an original valve I got 2 from Mohawk (only $40 each).  All installed and works perfectly.  Installed new bump stops and now reinstalling the wheels.....finally will get to drive it.  Now it's on to insulation and interior work (finally), and driving at least once a week.  Have to check fuel for algae also.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Don

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »

"Have to check fuel for algae also." diesel gunk and little crushed bugs and tar that is formed over time from old fuel oil that are attracted to Diesel fuel. It can't be Algae unless you get sunlight in your tank. Just put in some fuel conditioner once or twice a year. Just saying. HTH Grin
Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:33:32 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

Purplewillie

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

I threw some snails in my tank to eat the algae...no problems so far
Mark

Mark & Char
1976 P8M4905a 8v71 v730
British Columbia Canada
MightyThor

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »

Look at that "S BUS GO"  Nope, screws up the punchline completely.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »

Now thats funny.................... Grin

solodon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »

dave5cs, Thanks for the info.  I was going by things I've read about using a bus with old fuel.  Fuel conditioner has been added in the past while this bus wasn't traveling however it has been run a few times a year just to let it run, and maybe to move it around some.  I've recently added about 60 gal. of fresh fuel.  I'll add some more conditioner and hope for the best.  Hate to have the filters clog while traveling even if it is under 20 miles the first few times.

don

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: