Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 05:56:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help planning my route from Florida to Texas  (Read 1367 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »

Hi Friends,

Heather and I will be attending Arcadia this year. Looking forward to it! From Arcadia, we will be driving to Keene, TX where we'll be parked for 6 months while I tour there giving concerts. I am well-traveled and have visited nearly all 50 states, but the few I have never set foot in are Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. We are trying to choose the best and safest route to Texas from Florida. Also interested in scenic, but since we are in a bus with a 9 inch roof raise, we'll have to stick to major highways. Please share your input. If you want full-disclosure and honesty, what I'm really looking for is advice on the safety of the areas we'll be driving through esp in Louisiana, etc. We love to stop at Truck Stops for our overnight stays while on the road, but I won't beat around the bush....I know some parts of these southern states are rough areas and I want to avoid that. We have armament, but my targets of choice are clay pigeons...not people. So please, someone with experience driving this route, chime in and guide us. Here a photo of the three routes possible. My naive preference is to take the southern-most route since it looks like it would be pretty.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

Follow the coast you won't have any problems and one cannot afford to miss New Orleans with the food then head north from Beaumont to bypass Houston, Texas has great state highways through the small towns we drove our bus all over the state plenty of parking along the coastal route

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »

Um.....What the heck dude....are you scared of white people or black people....gay people....straight people.....all people?......alligators?.....mosquitoes?...ok.... you have guns.....got it.....in the words of David Bowe....I'm afraid of Americans......treat everyone with dignity and respect and you will have not any worries....ever!
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »

Um.....What the heck dude....are you scared of white people or black people....gay people....straight people.....all people?......alligators?.....mosquitoes?...ok.... you have guns.....got it.....in the words of David Bowe....I'm afraid of Americans......treat everyone with dignity and respect and you will have not any worries....ever!

Apparently you have not experienced the worst of humanity...unfortunately, being an Indian, and my family being Muslim, me being Christian, married to a Caucasian girl...I've seen some interesting stuff. I get stopped for hours at customs (never fails) pulled over 3 times in 1 hour driving through Arizona to be asked if I was planning on taking my rental car across the border to Mexico, and helped to catch a fugitive in an African American community which made me enemy number 1 there...yeah, I'm asking for obvious reasons. I just want a nice drive...no stops in rough towns. Check this out. New Orleans has one of the worst violent crime rates of the country:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/new-orleans/crime/

Scott & Heather
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »

New Orleans is nice but not easy in a coach on the cheep...
Tallahassee to Pensacola....I would spend a week or so on the west end of Santa Rosa Island...Fort Pickens...

Orange Beach in Alabama...
There is a cheepnice RV park in Buffalo TX near Palestine TX ...

There's a bus nut in Franklin TX..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:02:54 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Follow the coast you won't have any problems and one cannot afford to miss New Orleans with the food then head north from Beaumont to bypass Houston, Texas has great state highways through the small towns we drove our bus all over the state plenty of parking along the coastal route

Thanks Cliff. That's helpful. I definitely want to try the local cuisine Smiley Anything or anywhere special we should look for?

Scott & Heather
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »

head over towards College Station...up to Waco...
New Orleans is nice but not easy in a coach on the cheep...
Tallahassee to Pensacola....I would spend a week or so on the west end of Santa Rosa Island...Fort Pickens...

Orange Beach in Alabama...
There is a cheepnice RV park in Buffalo TX near Palestine TX ...

There's a bus nut in Franklin TX..

Nice..thanks!

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »

On the west bank of the Mississippi is a wonderful state park at Westwego La named Bayou Segnette State Park we park there and do our tour of NO about 15 minutes from downtown and the French Quarter

good luck  

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

On the west bank of the Mississippi is a wonderful state park at Westwego La named Bayou Segnette State Park we park there and do our tour of NO about 15 minutes from downtown and the French Quarter

good luck  

Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for...prices are reasonable too. Thanks Cliff

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »

287 from Beaumont to Ennis is a lot better drive then over to Cleburne for me any way and traffic is a bitch around Bryan and Collage Station, Scott you need not worry about New Orleans you are not going to be in the Wards there or shouldn't be  Roll Eyes

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »

Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island FL.

http://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/campground-openings-in-florida-and-mississippi-districts.htm

PS Clifford I was thinking more like turning north out of Beaumont to Crockett the Palestine to Bufffalo to Mexia...Hillsboro to Cleburne...

Keene seems awful close to DFW/Arlington for me...If a few more miles away works I would look down in Glen Rose....real nice city park there...IMO.

or maybe Cleburne....is that area still saturated with them there scary oilfield hands...Smiley

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:00:59 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »

Apparently you have not experienced the worst of humanity...unfortunately, being an Indian, and my family being Muslim, me being Christian, married to a Caucasian girl...I've seen some interesting stuff. I get stopped for hours at customs (never fails) pulled over 3 times in 1 hour driving through Arizona to be asked if I was planning on taking my rental car across the border to Mexico, and helped to catch a fugitive in an African American community which made me enemy number 1 there...yeah, I'm asking for obvious reasons. I just want a nice drive...no stops in rough towns. Check this out. New Orleans has one of the worst violent crime rates of the country:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/new-orleans/crime/

Honestly man you gotta chill with this fraddy cat stuff......all beings can smell fear......but no one is out to get you...there is no you radar......and anything you have seen I and others have lived....twice...just relax, smile, be nice and for god sakes leave the weapons at home and if your that scared stay on the interstate where you only have to fear serial killer truck drivers, soccer moms in mini vans and drunk crackheads with bodies in their trunks....and really, honestly your post is kinda racist, I mean what the heck is an African American community? Could you offend anyone else....you never mentioned Asians, Indians, Europeans, Canadians or Moon people. May God bless you and have safe journey.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »

Wow where did that come from I never met a bus person that didn't have some type weapon to protect him and his family,hell at the advice from a police officer here I upgrade from a 9MM to a 45. I never leave home without the American Express Card and brother Colt  Roll Eyes

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »

Smith and Wesson are pretty good pals....
Inside the bus I'm the judge and jury....

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »

From Arcadia, I would stay on 19/98 all the way to Pensacola-I drove that route many times in my big rig. I would not go to New Orleands, but instead stay on I-12 to bypass. Be sure to see the SS Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. It is the only battleship that you can see the inner workings of the big 17" guns. Then take I-49 back up to I-20 and go into the metro area that way. Course, once you're in Texas, any road is good. How much interstate you do depends on the time you have. The Fort Walton Beach/Destin area is one of my favorites-course most anywhere along the pan handle is great. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: