Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help planning my route from Florida to Texas  (Read 1290 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:40:38 AM »

Honestly man you gotta chill with this fraddy cat stuff......all beings can smell fear......but no one is out to get you...there is no you radar......and anything you have seen I and others have lived....twice...just relax, smile, be nice and for god sakes leave the weapons at home and if your that scared stay on the interstate where you only have to fear serial killer truck drivers, soccer moms in mini vans and drunk crackheads with bodies in their trunks....and really, honestly your post is kinda racist, I mean what the heck is an African American community? Could you offend anyone else....you never mentioned Asians, Indians, Europeans, Canadians or Moon people. May God bless you and have safe journey.

You are either naive or uninformed.  Scott originally asked opinions on the safest route. When pressed, he said he was equipped to handle problems but would rather avoid them. Having traveled the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, I can attest to the fact that there are places where trouble will hunt you down and cause problems, no matter your actions or attitudes. The best way to avoid them is to not go there.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:29 AM »

My wife and I just did a motorcycle trip across AL and MS on 278 and angled up to Little Rock area. It's a little north of your indicated route, but it's a good road
with some scenery. I did this same route in the bus a few years ago. I had no qualms about the safety issues. There were plenty of places to stop where I would
have felt safe, and overnighted in a truck small truck stop parking lot with no problems.

You're right to question this, and prudent to have your protection with you and anyone who claims otherwise is a fool.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:51:19 AM »

You are either naive or uninformed.  Scott originally asked opinions on the safest route. When pressed, he said he was equipped to handle problems but would rather avoid them. Having traveled the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, I can attest to the fact that there are places where trouble will hunt you down and cause problems, no matter your actions or attitudes. The best way to avoid them is to not go there.

TOM

I am neither naïve nor uniformed.....it was the racial overtones that I refer too and object to....safe roads are one thing.....hate and bigotry are quite another and could be a violation of federal law....surly the folks that moderate this board are not complicate with these actions.
And you are correct trouble may at times find you.....but your gun will make it worse in almost all situations....I personally don't require a gun( though I do own several  ) to defend myself nor to cause harm to others.....and if in fact you are stating that you illegally took your gun to Mexico or the Canada then you violated their federal laws and you deserve the punishment get when break the laws of other counties.

So race should have been left out of the post....because race, hate, fear and guns don't mix and it was no I who brought it up I only pointed it out.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »

Man you need to take the race card BS to MSNBC it doesn't happen here

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »

Man you need to take the race card BS to MSNBC it doesn't happen here

Wow really? Ok lets change race to NRA and MSNBC to Fox....I happens everywhere...man.

Scott I'm very sorry about hijacking your post as I said race should have been left out....you seem like nice guy, but you also seem to be aware that race bias is hurtful as you stated. when comes down to it I'm on your side.

Stay on State hiways or the Interstates less clearance issues and bad road conditions as for "people" your on you own....but I got your back. peace!
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:25 AM »

Hey pvoth, what kind of bus do you own?

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »

Scott:

Let me second the suggestions of Orange Beach/Gulf Shores Alabama area. Very beautiful! Also, as former news director and DJ @ KHIM Christian Radio in Palestine, TX, East Texas has some amazing places to visit. Dogwood trees, the Rusk TX historical railroad, etc. I cannot remember if you are pulling a toad or not. 60 miles from Palestine, Tyler TX has the rose festival. Tyler is one of the major rose-producing areas in the U. S.

We have several board members in Tyler and Palestine.

Then there is a lot to see farther South around Brenham, TX., such as the Bluebell Icecream plant and the awesome hamburgers at the Brenham Municipal Airport.

You might consider NOT skipping Houston and seeing the NASA Space Center. I am sure more than one here can give you details of doing it in a bus. (I have not.)

Yes: The SS Alabama is certainly worth a visit. What is the name of the submarine docked next to it?

Mexico and arms are mentioned above. WARNING!! Unless you would like to enjoy 3 years as a guest in a Mexican federal prison and donating your bus and its entire contents to the Mexican government, do not ever cross the border with ANY firearm in your vehicle.

And yes: Hopefully mister Pvoth will radically change his tune. Totally uncivil and out of line.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:32:20 AM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »

We White Wing hunted in Mexico for 25 years all it took was a permit with a letter from the sheriff to carry your shot gun in but no pistols of any kind 

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »

We White Wing hunted in Mexico for 25 years all it took was a permit with a letter from the sheriff to carry your shot gun in but no pistols of any kind 

How long ago was that? Please be sure to check with the Mexican Consulate.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/world/americas/mexico-u-s-marine-detained/

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »

It was back in the late 60's through the early 80's I never had a problem with my shot guns. It"s no big deal if you want a gun in Mexico our DOJ and Holder here in the USA will ship one to you Roll Eyes

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

Scott, if you do stop in the New Orleans area, Jefferson Transit has bus service from Westwego that'll take you into downtown New Orleans - if you don't have, or don't want to uncouple a toad.  I've worked with them a couple of times, they provide pretty good service.

Leaving Westwego, the most direct route back across the river is the Huey P. Long Bridge. If you think you're going that way, you might want to do a Google Maps Street View.  Two narrow lanes, steep climb/decent.  Trucks & buses use it regularly, but street view will let you gauge your comfort level early.  There's another crossing further west (310), but I've never gone that way.

When you get to our area (Dallas), it looks like you can skirt the southern part of town -- I-20 or 287 to 67, depending on how you get into the area.  That's your safest routing.  Dallas traffic is a mess, and roads are torn up all over the place -- so stay as far away as possible.  I pucker up in my car when I have to go from the north side through Dallas to the south side.  Easy to be in the wrong lane through multiple mixmasters.  If you come through the area of I-35 (East) and I-20, the 60 MPH speed limit means what it says.  A couple of cities get a lot of their revenue from the interstate.

Arthur  

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

I love that old Huey Long Bridge the lanes are narrow I remember 11 ft wide each but plenty of room for a bus , the view and crossing the mighty Mississippi is well worth the pucker factor, people are never in a rush crossing the HP bridge they just have a slow even pace

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »

Pitvoth, The poster asked questions regarding a route. No racial slur or comment was made. Please refrain from making such statements. Yes this board is moderated, and nothing he said was out of line.

Please go back and modify your replies or one of the moderators will.

No personal attacks are allowed here.

Let's keep the topic in line with the questions asked.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »

Scott,

No matter which road you take from Florida to Texas you have already taken the high road on this thread and I commend you for it. I also commend the guys that spoke up politely and firmly for you.

The states you will be passing through have some great beauty and nice things to see and enjoy. Take your time if possible and soak it all up. They also have some of the best food you will ever stick a fork in.

Davy

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »

If you drag your feet till spring a crawfish boil anywhere east of Beumont is a special treat....if you see people eating with surgical gloves on you know your in the right place.... Grin

PS the tent feeds allow you to bring a cooler full of beer and pop to sit on...
PSS I eat the ones that are for the less practiced... Undecided

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: