Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 06:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions. Need Help!!!  (Read 1074 times)
lou432

1966 MCI-5A 35`

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »

Hi All!! Still tying to get her up to the Nawth East but running into road block after road block.
 Need a few questions answered or pointed in right direction.

#1 Want to put Integral power steering on her ( I can do myself if up here) but Service center ( Fla) says they dont do any modifications and they want $3,500 to rebuild all existing steering components...
 Question..... Can I drive her with out power steering ??

#2... Tires I only need the tires for the drive up then sit for 2-4 years to re-do or convert? so dont wana spend $500 a tire then mount and balance then Fla tax so found these
Samson Radial Truck GL274A ....for $390 per tire.  .....Will they be applicable?

#3 If I cant work the mechanical issues out from 1500 miles away and drive her up here who,how and approx how much to transport her to me??
 Really been banging my head on the wall with this and hoping for some clear minds to help.
 If non of the above are in my reach I`ll post her on CL or E-Bay and be done.
 Thanks!!!!!! A bit discouraged.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:29:55 PM by lou432 » Logged
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »

Just an opinion not a fact and anything could happen with a old coach that you don't know yet. #1 you can steer it without power steering and was done for years but they are a handful at slow speeds. That's if all components are working.

Check date codes on tires and if they have been sitting any length of time in a field somewhere or in the sun and heat you might want to change them out. Look for recaps, or good take offs used tires. Keep in mind if the date codes after the DOT letters say they are 0504 they are 2nd week in Feb. and the year is 2004 ( 10 year old tire are generally not long for this world. If it say DOT 589 that would be same week of the year but the year would be 1989. Old ones had 3 and the newer ones after 2000 have 4. Tire life IMO is anything less than 9 years but some will say longer. Look for sidewall cracking some small ones are OK but if they are all over then they are toast.

Transport just call a transporter and ask for a quote from where ever to where ever, its free. You will need someone with a landall or lowboy that will haul a bus one way.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:43:18 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »

If this is the bus! buy recaps for back and drive them home.. Sell them to someone else--keep old tires off bus and remount when you get home. If you can get transport for under $5grand it would be a surprise..(that includes loading and unloading)  Used take offs in the 11 -22.5 are going for about 100-150 in our area.   Best case find a busnut in the area that knows where deals are.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »

If it has power assist take the assist cylinder off and drive that puppy it will drive normal just leave your self enough room to get out of places when parked remove the pump and cover with a plate and go for about the best price you will get on hauling will be 4 to 5 bucks a mile that will buy a lot on Ben Gay or Jr.

good luck   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:56:14 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

buy a spare and go....maybe  bring a pancake compressor.
many will say buy tires...have them all send pictures of their date codes...
i am a take a chance kind of guy...my tires pre date my ownership.
ok not really...but i've been around a lot of old tires. if they'll hold a 100psi at 60 mph for 60 miles...they'll mAke it home...
besides the closer you get to home the cheaper the tow... Grin

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
lou432

1966 MCI-5A 35`

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »

Thanks Dave! I thought so on the Power steering but needed confirmation ! And remember driving a schoolie 30 years ago without PS and she was ok but as you said  a handfull at slow speeds.
 The Tires are 15 yeas old and the spare I think is the original with factory air still in it  Cheesy so replacements are imminent ! I will check on retreads but how bout the front/steers ??
 Put two transport calls out yesterday and one came back  at 8K and the other at 5K and called back to book the 5k and said he recalculated miles and said 10k was new # so a friend told me about  U Ship so i put an add on it. We`ll see!!
 If I have to  spend 10K to transport I`ll spend it on RV service in Fla.

johnjem
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905

1970 gmc 4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

sent u a pm !!

Never stop thinking,it"s what keeps us going till tomorrow
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

Where is it at now, and where does it have to go?

Enjoy

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »

IF the bus is otherwise safe to drive - brakes, suspension and lighting - then take the power steering assist off, block off the lines, put used tires on it and drive it home.  That's what I would do.  But I'd have to be sure I was driving a safe vehicle as far as brakes and the rest are concerned.  Power steering isn't a must have, my whole first career as a driver I never once had a bus or a truck with power steering (or an automatic transmission, but that's another story).

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »

Agree with Brian, if you are going to put out even 5K then buy the used tires and drive her home!.....

UNLESS YOUR NOT REALLYyyyy A BUSNUT uhmmmm, Lol Grin Roll Eyes Shocked

Dave5Cs

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »

He going to need tires anyway when he gets its home buy the tires like Dave said and drive it home just be safe,me I would buy tires for the steer and drive it, why meet a couple of payments for a guy with a new Pete and lowboy

Life is short drink the good wine first
lou432

1966 MCI-5A 35`

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »

WOW!! Thanks folk!! John , She`s in Port Charolette Fla and I live in Milford NH.
 Brian, Brakes are on the list to redo down there while tires are off  there is a leak in the suspension but thats on the identify list with no brake or head lights .
 and the radiator gearbox seals prolly need to be replaced as theres oil all around it when engine runs. reverse solenoid  aint working and the clutch is hard to press. other wise she purrs like a kitten !!  Roll Eyes

Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »

Did you ever find out if the Presidents really used it or not?

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »

I think this has already been answered.  If your bus has power ASSIST steering, then MAYBE you can just disconnect the power steering pump.  I did this with my Crown Supercoach when I blew the too small Victors VT-something pump. (VT42?)   I just removed the two belts with my trusty knife., then drove it 400 miles.  Designed that way.  TRW steering box if memory serves.

But....if you have a power steering pump that is mounted directly on the mill like some do, then I do not know how to safely and properly disable your power assist.  I do not know where or how your power steering pump is mounted.  Again, have others already answered this?

Can you just find and buy some good used safe tires that are not too old?  However the problem there is that you will be out mounting and balancing expenses TWICE; once now and once when you get the Bus Conversion nearly livable and get new tires, plus the cost of the old tires.  Dilemma.  HB of CJ (old coot) 
shelled

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »

I've never seen this addressed here, but does anybody have information or experience on shipping a bus either by rail or by boat Huh

Seems like that might be cheaper tho' slower which doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

edward

Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: