Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 06:58:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Much Does It Cost  (Read 1626 times)
Lostranger
Sophia

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »

This thread underscores one of the many reasons I swore off two strokes while we owned the Flx Metro. 6v92TA. Ran great. Peed oil. Expensive to repair.

The 40 Series DD in our Gillig appears to be fine. I know they get mixed reviews among "professionals", but if it does crap out, I have several reasonably priced options. Some of those options are spelled c-u-m-m-i-n-s.

The death knoll for the Metro was when I found out that it is next to impossible to convert that body to tee drive. I was hoping to install a 50 series. If I had a two stroke bus facing major engine work, and I could repower, I would not hesitate.

Best of luck with your engine woes.

Jim

Jim Huskins
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

This thread underscores one of the many reasons I swore off two strokes while we owned the Flx Metro. 6v92TA. Ran great. Peed oil. Expensive to repair.

The 40 Series DD in our Gillig appears to be fine. I know they get mixed reviews among "professionals", but if it does crap out, I have several reasonably priced options. Some of those options are spelled c-u-m-m-i-n-s.

The death knoll for the Metro was when I found out that it is next to impossible to convert that body to tee drive. I was hoping to install a 50 series. If I had a two stroke bus facing major engine work, and I could repower, I would not hesitate.

Best of luck with your engine woes.

Jim

Hmmmm now I'm thinking........ Clifford, since you know my bus, if I ever get to the point of needing a new engine, how hard would it be to put a Cummings in my 4104?

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »

Hmmmm now I'm thinking........ Clifford, since you know my bus, if I ever get to the point of needing a new engine, how hard would it be to put a Cummings in my 4104? 

Probably about as hard as putting a 8.3 ISC (with Allison B400R) in a 40 year old British bus.  I hope to have more for you soon on that! 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »

Probably about as hard as putting a 8.3 ISC (with Allison B400R) in a 40 year old British bus.  I hope to have more for you soon on that! 

I already have a T-Drive and auto tranny in my bus, so was hopeful it would be easier?

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »

A six cylinder engine will be about 12" longer than your current engine, a 4 cylinder like the S50 will be about the same length or 3" or 4" longer.  Both will be about the same height.  Your conversion will tell the tale.  How much more room out the back do you have?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »

Problem with any engine in conversions they are not driven enough nothing wrong with the 2 stroke if it is kept up and drove they don't use anymore oil than the 4 strokes when in good shape, it is just that a 2 stroke will bring you home with a lot of problems going on with the engine, the electronic 4 strokes are dead in water with the least bit of problems.

I didn't start the topic to bad mouth a 2 stroke it was just info on cost, have you guys bought any Cummins or Detroit 50 or 60 series parts lately price some  it will wake you up from a deep sleep. ::)LOL how about 62 grand for a out of frame on a DD 13 @ WW.Williams I saw a invoice today while visiting my friends at Arrow in Phoenix a little over 1/2 of the bill was covered under warranty still  it was a chunk of money 

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »

One of the main reasons any of the DD engines are so high to overhaul, is when something blows, it usually takes out the catalytic converter, DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and the Selective Catalyst (where the DEF [Diesel Exhaust Fluid] is burned) that costs alone around $18,000.

When I had my 8V-71 overhauled in 2000, it was $11,000 then. Spent another $6,000 turboing it and another $11,000 overhauling the V730 transmission. Detroit 2 strokes are very hardy and will most times get you home. I went from New York back to L.A. on 7 cyliners when I blew an injector lifter-barely knew the difference. I have seen so many instances of being able to start a 2 stroke or running one when either a Cummins or Caterpillar wouldn't even dream of running. Truckers in Alaska still love the 2 strokers because of winter starting ease. I just wish they still made 2 strokers. If Detroit or MTU applied the same engine technology to the 2 strokers as they have to the DD engines, many would still be running them. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »

I already have a T-Drive and auto tranny in my bus, so was hopeful it would be easier? 

My original engine transmission is "X-drive" (you don't really want to know - the engine and transmission are transverse) -- but that leaves a great big wide hole for lots of stuff to go in.  Another big benefit, the original engine/trans is approx 3350 lbs; the Cummins/Allison is 2200.  There's going to be some custom engine mounts and added weight like bigger radiator but there's still going to be a BIG weight saving c/gravity about 7 feet behind the rear axle; also, I'm using the Gillig (Meritor) rear axle, also a lot lighter with more weight rating.  It's going to be fun!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: