Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Need help troubleshooting rear end  (Read 2921 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »

Hey guys -  We are still stuck in Ronan MT.  I finally got to replacing the seals on the drive wheels on the bus.  We found that the rear passenger side seal was leaking and made a mess.  The bearings seemed fine though on both sides - No scarring or gouges, bearings in good shape.

Still trying to figure out what the noise is.

When we turn the axle on the passenger side of the bus (short axle) we are hearing a clacking (gear) noise in the differential and or dropbox.  We tried using a screwdriver to narrow down where it is coming from but cant quite put our finger on it.  It seems to be more prominent on the short axle side.

I have a video down the bottom that you can hear the noise we are hearing (around 8 seconds in) but here are my questions.

1. Is this clacking noise normal with both wheels off and the oil drained?  (We didnt hear or feel it on the drivers side until after we pulled the passenger side)

2.If the drop box needs to be repaired can the drop box be taken off without having to drip the whole rear end?

3. If this is a rear end issue can any truck repair place do the work?

4.  Are the parts for the dropbox and rear end availble or are they made from unobtainium?

5. What type of oil should I use in the rear end? (Synthetic preferred) and how much?

6.  Anyone know the part number for the gaskets on the axle caps?

Ive got a million things flying through my head right now and Im a little stressed Smiley

If you can number your answers to match the questions it would be helpful.

Im off to the parts place to get new seals.  

Thanks guys.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

Here is the video...you might not be able to hear the noise unless your in a quiet room with decent speakers or headphones. http://youtu.be/FY9jxR1Z-D4

'Cause you know we,
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »

the gaskets are easily made with gasket stock, (heavy)  and a ball peen hammer. i would not buy them.

2. Yes the drop box is removed without " having to drip the whole rear end..."

3. I would not trust "just any" shop...a transmission shop/ drive-line builder is from whom I would seek a reference....

5. Synthetic would not be my preference.....you'll get answers all over the map on this...use what Eagle suggests/recommends SAE 80W90 EP.

Someone will be along to correct me...I'm sure.
I think the drop box covers can be removed without removing the unit....to inspect it....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:09:20 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »

Sounds like the ring gear has come loose on the carrier being the ring gear is on the short side,you can remove the drop box without removing the differential, any truck place can repair the differential,you can rebuild the drop box your self bearing are all most ever need and any truck repair will have the gaskets for very little cash.

If the ring gear has broken or come loose and if you have the 3:73 go to a 3:36 ratio the little 6v92 will love you forever and they hold 19 qts of of grease cheaper to buy a 5 gal bucket

Have you drained the grease to see how much metal is in the case ? that will tell you in hurry if something is going on that is where you start first then worry if it is full of metal Cool

good luck
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:19:38 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »

Cliff - can we replace the ring gear without having to drop the rear end? 

Thanks.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

The center comes out of the housing  to replace the ring gear if that is what you are asking ,pull both axles remove the circle of bolts and you have 2 places to screw bolts into to force the center ( or pumpkins some call the center) from the housing 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »

I will guess side gear or spider pinion....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »

Is this where the proctologist line goes....sorry Undecided
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Cliff - can we replace the ring gear without having to drop the rear end? 

Thanks.

-Sean

the pumpkin comes out .... the axle housing stays .... the bus needs to be raised high enough to get a jack in and out  Grin

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »

There are several shops south of you in Missoula, Mt
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

Pretty difficult to diagnose from the video.

I would get a flexible magnet and search around in the fill hole
and see if I could drag anything out.

The "clacking" noise may just be normal gear noise.

Were you having any problems bdfore replacing the wheel seal?

It's real easy to imagine the worst and start throwing money.

Let us know what you find.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »

Sean, there is a good truck repair shop in Kalispell an hour or two North of you. They have helped me out once really well. And the people who bought my old bus as well when they blew the clutch out. I'll be back at my bus tomorrow and can send you their name and number if you need. Good luck.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »

Hey all -

Thanks again.  Its been a crazy day here.  Finally found some brake pads.  The shop I am at now is not comfortable pulling the pumpkin as we dont have the right jacks/lifts to do it.

We are both concerned about driving it an hour or two but tomorrow we are putting the seals and wheels back together and Im going to give it a drive around and see how it does.  I think I am a little more nervous than I ought to be.  Hopefully its all in my head.

JC - Please send that shop info.  Im calling around tomorrow to see if I can find a place. 

PS - When we dropped the oil there were not any parts or pieces.   Just shavings on the plug.  Nothing to raise an eyebrow at. 

Thanks guys.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »

Sean,

Try http://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/missoula-mt.php

and its not to far from a craft brewer http://bigskybrew.com/

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:54:08 PM by Lee Bradley » Logged
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:06 AM »

Hi Sean,

I would not be concerned about the drop box since I replaced the one on your bus with a new off the shelf from Jefferson. They are supposed to run 300,000 miles and the original had 500,000 on it. Also when the drop box was replaced the entire pumpkin was removed and taken to a shop that rebuilds them and inspected. He told me that it looked great and needed no repairs. Also cleaned the entire axle assembly just in case there where some drop box debris that got in there. Things can break but it should not be worn. Be interested to see what you find.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: