Hey guys - We are still stuck in Ronan MT. I finally got to replacing the seals on the drive wheels on the bus. We found that the rear passenger side seal was leaking and made a mess. The bearings seemed fine though on both sides - No scarring or gouges, bearings in good shape.
Still trying to figure out what the noise is.
When we turn the axle on the passenger side of the bus (short axle) we are hearing a clacking (gear) noise in the differential and or dropbox. We tried using a screwdriver to narrow down where it is coming from but cant quite put our finger on it. It seems to be more prominent on the short axle side.
I have a video down the bottom that you can hear the noise we are hearing (around 8 seconds in) but here are my questions.
1. Is this clacking noise normal with both wheels off and the oil drained? (We didnt hear or feel it on the drivers side until after we pulled the passenger side)
2.If the drop box needs to be repaired can the drop box be taken off without having to drip the whole rear end?
3. If this is a rear end issue can any truck repair place do the work?
4. Are the parts for the dropbox and rear end availble or are they made from unobtainium?
5. What type of oil should I use in the rear end? (Synthetic preferred) and how much?
6. Anyone know the part number for the gaskets on the axle caps?
Ive got a million things flying through my head right now and Im a little stressed
If you can number your answers to match the questions it would be helpful.
Im off to the parts place to get new seals.