Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 10:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having our first mechanical issue...  (Read 1303 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »

in my career (40+ years) wrenching i have resurrected a lot of idle heavy equipment and replaced a lot more fuel filters....i have burned a bunch of 2-3+ year old diesel and have never encountered "bad" diesel.
the diesel i am burning now is a mix of old and new.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
DriverGT5

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »

If anyone wanted a little more hint that we are going in the right direction I just found an inch of standing water in my starboard fuel filler box. The fuel caps for the starboard and center tank are in a box with a clogged drain. That box is also filled with what I would describe as slim or algae, probably mixing with the diesel I spilled while filling the last time. There's also signs the water level has been going higher than the filler cap so presumably water has been leaking in around the seals of the cap. I cleaned the drain out and I'm guessing I'll find some of that sludge further in the fuel system as I go, probably clogging the injectors.

Filters still look clean but they smell like paint thinner. It looks like it's time for some fresh fuel and to flush out the lines and injectors.

1968 Eagle Series 05 - 7616
8v71
www.tinyhouselife.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »

You don't need to pull the injectors they have a rock filter on each injector on the supply side on the injector just remove the line and take the fitting out and check one if it's clean they will all be clean 

Start with the pressure check 1st it will tell you if it is a pickup problem from the pump back low pressure, a high reading will tell you if it is the injector filters anything from 40 to 70 pounds is good, the old beast will run on 5 lbs FWIW it just will not have any power you are not dealing with a pencil type injector   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »

... probably crap in the tanks. ...

Yeah, that will stop you in a hurry.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »

(just hard to resist ....)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 08:00:47 AM »

Do you have a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank?   If so, try gently cracking it open and see what comes out.   Any water in the tank should settle below the fuel and drain out.

Just for fun a while ago (I know, I need to get a life) I opened my tank's drain to see what would come out, but there wasn't anything to worry about.   I'll make a point of checking this every year.   Better safe than sorry.

John 

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »

John, next time you crack open your tank, let's make it into a NRG in Orange county, we will have a tank cracking party, the bus with the worst looking diesel drip will get the ugliest drip award, a tye with diesel drips on it! Tom, lvmci..

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »

John, next time you crack open your tank, let's make it into a NRG in Orange county, we will have a tank cracking party, the bus with the worst looking diesel drip will get the ugliest drip award, a tye with diesel drips on it! Tom, lvmci..
I like it!   But I don't own, let alone ever wear, ties.   Perhaps instead a hippyish tied-dyed T-shirt, except with different-colored oil and grease stains in artistically-expressive patterns?   A sort of wearable Rorschach test, but maybe that would reveal too much about us.

John
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:06:29 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
mikke60

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

hi
I may be way off here,but I had similar situation with my bus this spring. Bus was very slow getting up to speed. Took me a while to realize that I was not in drive,but rather staring off in second. Could be as simple as a linkage issue?
mike
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »

Does your engine have an oil bath air filter , if it does...... drop the bottom pan pull down the screen filter .  There could be blockage up in the intake  wasp nest etc . 

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: