Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 06:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spin on fuel filters  (Read 2219 times)
thekid745

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »

The less messy change out on the road is why I wanted to convert. I'm leaning towards the spin on for sure. This was all great advise, thanks.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »

One time digging the sock filter out of the fuel pump you will love the spin on filters btdt  Huh

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »

One time digging the sock filter out of the fuel pump you will love the spin on filters btdt  Huh

and be thankful the pump was there to stop it... Shocked

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »

Kid,

Having dealt with both installations, there's no doubt in my mind that spin on filters are better. Even if it's only for the convenience factor, there's nothing wrong with convenience for the mechanic, especially if the mechanic is you. Smiley

Money well spent, IMHO.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »

What would cause a sock filter to come apart? If you keep them changed and not put one in that was dry rotted and stored in the battery compartment you should be fine. That scenario would be a side of the road downer for sure to deal with. How often does that happen? Rare enough that I am sure I probably would never see that failure. luverbus being in the business has seen every type of failure known, and in my book he is the authority here on this board. I am for weighing the cost vs. benefit of changing what you have that is working. If it was 1 in 100 odds I would change it, 1 in 1000 I would not.  I would agree that the oil filter spin-on is much better, but I change my socks without a mess, no problem there. I must have gotten the hang of it.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

The old socks with the metal center were not all that bad coming apart but they still would sometimes,the new one with the plastic and cardboard centers are terrible, there is not much difference in price of the spin on and canister type in fact the canister type are costing more at most places

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »

The best would be to convert the canister socks to paper type filters. Most engine manufacturers are now using canister type filters with paper (like what spin ons have) filter elements. My bus came with the spin on fuel filters, but I have since changed the oil filter and the transmission filter to spin on. Much easier to change. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »

Tom-- I assume you meant that your bus came with canister filters.

My previous bus had canister filters, and I managed with them although they are more of a nuisance to service than spin-ons would be.  My normal tendency would be to do just that.  However, if the change was a mere $50 bolt on, I would definitely do it.  This bus has spin-ons-- definitely preferable.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 07:03:20 PM »

My fuel filters had already been changed to spin on when I bought the bus. But the engine oil filter and the transmission filter were both canister using paper element. Always seemed to leak. Changed both to spin on and love the difference. Surprisingly, the big spin on filters are not that expensive. Good Luck, TomC

digesterman

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »

Spin on filters, it was an improvement, just go with it.

Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
97,250 original miles (10-2014)
thekid745

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:50 AM »

Going with the spin on. Thanks for the information all. Very helpful and insightful.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:20 AM »

Go with a Fuel Pro.  You should be able to pick up a used one at a truck junk yard.  Much better than spin on's.  They are way better than spin on's just as spin on's are way better than canister.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »

The main advantage to the Davco FuelPro filter, is that you'll always know when to change the filter. The FuelPro looks like an upside down filter with the clear bowl at the top of the filter. As the filter gets dirty, the fuel rises in the filter till the fuel comes even with the "change filter" line. No debate when it needs changing. Plus, it can be ordered with either electric or coolant heating and it is a drainable fuel/water separator. The main reason I haven't changed is that my starter override is on the secondary filter (after the fuel pump before the engine). I would have to eliminate that with the FuelPro. Course, maybe run the FuelPro with the secondary?  Good Luck, TomC

solodon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »

Well my coach came with the spin on filters.  I've always hated changing things that are still usable and it's impossible to tell when to change a spin on until you have a problem.  After looking at this thread, and googling the Davco, and how to change the filter (youtube videos are nice) I've decided that I'll be getting used fixtures (I'm frugal [cheap]) and switching.  Seems that since you always have fuel in the housing there is less risk of having start up problems and not having to prime the system both of which seem to be a big plus.  Thanks to all for the info.

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
thekid745

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »

Bob, 
I received the filters. Thanks and that was quick Smiley

Thanks,
Dan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: