Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 06:03:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation Products  (Read 1636 times)
Lostranger
Sophia

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »

I like rigid polyisocyanurate foam with foil on both sides. I seal gaps and cracks with wait for it Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks.

My research indicates that polyiso board has the highest R value of anything readily available. Considerably better than any color of styrene board. Impervious to moisture. Does not lose R capability over time. No chance of heat buckling outside panels.

My only problem is that it is hard to find where we live other than in 1/2" thickness. I'm getting ready to order a full unit of 1-1/2" boards from a local building supply. Don't need that much for the Gillig, but I think I can sell the balance on Craig's.

I'm using 1-1/2" in ceiling and most wall space. Floor and balance of wall area get 1". Planning to double the locally available 1/2" where I need 1".

To install 1" of any kind of foam, strips of 5/4" treated decking make great furring. I saw nominal 6" boards into three equal strips.

Used this system for ten years in our Flx Metro. That bus had many problems, but lack of insulation was not on the list.

Jim Huskins
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »

I like rigid polyisocyanurate foam with foil on both sides. ...

Sound good Jim.   Seems to be hard to find near me - do you have a "trade name" or brand on this?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »

Bruce -  They sell it at homedepot in Wilmington...at least they did when I was there.  Its foiled on both sides and says RMAX on it...I think.  They only had 1/2 inch but I tripled in areas that I needed to fill and it worked great.  Most of my bus's outer steel framed walls had the 1.5" already in them and I added another 3/4 of the blue board on top of that.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Lostranger
Sophia

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Seems to be hard to find near me - do you have a "trade name" or brand on this?

Bruce, the half inch stuff Lowe's sells here is called R Max. Year before last I ordered 17 sheets of 1-1/2" to do our step van. It was Dow brand. Don't remember the trade name, but it was also something that ended in max. Same lumber yard can no longer order partial units.

I'm also putting a layer of foil bubble wrap inside everywhere.

Jim Huskins
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

Bruce, the half inch stuff Lowe's sells here is called R Max. Year before last I ordered 17 sheets of 1-1/2" to do our step van. It was Dow brand. Don't remember the trade name, but it was also something that ended in max. Same lumber yard can no longer order partial units.

I'm also putting a layer of foil bubble wrap inside everywhere.

Thanks, Jim and Sean!  I'll look!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: