Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation Products  (Read 2090 times)
thekid745

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:21:38 AM »

So we are just about ready to start the inside build. I wanted to get some opinions on what products work best for insulation? I only want to rebuild this once so I want to be sure to insulate properly.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »

No question - have someone come in and do Spray Foam.  I was reluctant, but VERY glad I did it that way!

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »

BEFORE you do spray foam or any other kind of insulation, remove all of your ceiling and wall panels, thoroughly clean insides of walls and ceiling, then buy, beg, borrow or steal (not really!) a power washer. Give a good wet-down from outside. Be carefull: Not TOO much pressure for very long at any point. Go inside and find your water leaks. Mark with a water proof marker. Dry everything off (hint: Use a large home floor fan on HI.) and then do proper silicone sealing at all leaks. We found MANY leaks in ours. This will save you grief later: water stains and/or fungus in your ceiling and wall panels, etc. My two pesos' worth of free advice.
 Grin

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »

I have an AMGeneral transit which is very similar in construction to your fishbowl. I removed the entire interior down to the shell. Had to weld up cracks above each entrance door (I kept both doors. The front for normal entrance, and built the bathroom around the rear door for direct entrance to the bathroom from the outside. Nice when at the beach). I then power steel brushed everything, primed with Rustoleum. The next step was to install 1x2 fir strips longitudinally at 12" centers so to have something to screw into for the ceiling. Where the overhead cabinets were to be, I installed 1x3 ash strips for better strength. After all strips were installed, I called and had spray foam installed-best money spent-about $1,500. They sprayed the foam, ground it back down, and hauled away the ground out foam. The spray foam is 2.25" thick. I then covered the ceiling with 1/8" plywood that bends to the curve of the ceiling and used 1/4" on the wall. I simply painted the ceiling semi gloss white, and overlayed the screws with 1.5" finished oak strips. I liked it so much, I have repeated it on my truck conversioin. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Better than Silicon would be to use 5200 marine sealer. silicon will eventually start pulling away. 5200 you can get at Home Depot.
Clifford I think it was was telling someone about talking to the people at a semi truck Trailer place and see when they are spraying a refrigerator trailer and maybe they would do yours at the same time for a lot less!..... HTH

Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:28:48 AM by Dave5Cs » Logged

My personal skills are fine.. it’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »

When I was looking into what the best way to insulate was, I basically got the same answer, spray foam.  I priced it out vs pink board and found the R value for spray in foam was not that much higher, but the spray foam was more expensive.  So I weighed the two and figured If I was living in the bus, I would go the spray in route without question, but my plan is just occasional use, camping and some traveling, so I decided to go with the pink board.  Looking back at it, the spray in foam would have been much faster and easier.  With the pink board I had to cut and fit, and layer, which was very time consuming.  After working on this for four years now I think I might have gone with the spray in just to save on time.  When I took the inside panels off I did not find any indication that my bus had been leaking water from the outside sheeting, but I did find some rust from the windows leaking, I repaired the rust and the leaking window were planed for removal anyway.  Here is a video showing some of the work.

http://youtu.be/rIGpNbC3vHY?list=PL24A5AEC8B27BDD79

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »

I used pinkboard on mine and foamed the cracks and spaces.  Its easy to cut the squares short and foam around the edges and in the cracks.  If I could have emptied the bus out all the way I'd have sprayfoamed it for sure but had cabinets and drawers already installed by the previous owner and it was just easier to use the pinkboard.  If you can, go with the sprayfoam.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
thekid745

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »

Just to clarify. When you guys say the spray in foam you are talking about the spray cans you can get from Home Depot or Lowes correct?
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »

Only when talking about filling in the cracks. The spray foam is actually a 2 part mix of chemicals when mixed at the spray gun comes out and expands  there is a knife or special tool they use to cut it flush with your wall or strips you have put on to make the wall thicker. You can buy the bottles and rent the equipment but it is a lot easier to just find a local insulation company and they will come to your bus site and do it and haul the waste away after.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:19:36 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

My personal skills are fine.. it’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »

No if you have it sprayed foam use the hot closed cell type to to be clear the spray foams start losing the R value the minute they are applied we are going through that now at the restaurants, the refrigeration foam sheets seem to work good the 1 walk in cooler with the foam sheets for us is working better than the spray foam cost wise and when you are paying out 2 to 3 grand a month for power every little bit helps it may not apply to conversions  Roll Eyes  

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »

Just to clarify. When you guys say the spray in foam you are talking about the spray cans you can get from Home Depot or Lowes correct?

no... you will not get the results you want...here are examples of the eq. required.

and...
http://sprayfoamclosedcell.com/closed-cell-foam-vs-open-cell-foam/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:52:23 AM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »

Clifford I think it was, was telling someone about talking to the people at a semi truck Trailer place and see when they are spraying a refrigerator trailer and maybe they would do yours at the same time for a lot less!

Dave -

Actually, that was me.  And to clarify, it was to find a semi-truck trailer REPAIR facility that works on refrigerator trailers.  Most of your major cities have one somewhere, usually in the industrial area near Semi-truck dealers.

thekid NAME?? -

Please take a couple minutes to update your profile to at least include a signature line, similar to mine below.  First name, home-base city/state and bus make/model/powertrain can be very helpful to us trying to help you.  No sense sending you to a shop in FL if you're in WA, for example.  Simply click on the profile tab in the menu above, then on the "Forum Profile Info" option in the LH menu and follow the prompts.  Thanks.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »

The self kits for spray foam look like two propane tanks that combine to make the spray foam. Take my advice (like others)-have the spray foam done by a professional. It is a messy, nasty job. The really good spray foam (like what the professionals use) really stinks in liquid form. So much so, (at least the guy I used) they breath through a helmet with a pressure hose of fresh air being powered by an old Kirby vacuum (crude but effective). Then grinding it down is also very messy.
As to Silicone, I've used it on my roof to seal off the roof vents. That was 20 years ago and it is still sound. You have to use outside rated silicone (the stinky kind). Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
mikke60

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »

I just had my brand ne sprinter van spray foamed this passed winter. The combination
Of the cold sheet metal and higher temp foam was a disaster. All the body panels distorted and the truck is virtually ruined.  I am not saying foam is a bad idea,just saying you need to be careful when installing. As for my bus, I used rock wool batts. Very good insulating value, great sound value, not destroyed by moisture, and most important,fire proof.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »

I just had my brand ne sprinter van spray foamed this passed winter. The combination
Of the cold sheet metal and higher temp foam was a disaster. All the body panels distorted and the truck is virtually ruined.  I am not saying foam is a bad idea,just saying you need to be careful when installing. As for my bus, I used rock wool batts. Very good insulating value, great sound value, not destroyed by moisture, and most important,fire proof.

i think the WHO is the thing that one would need to think hard about here .....just saying.....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: