Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at a Flxible  (Read 1670 times)
Doc.

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker,but first time poster. I love vintage busses and have been on the search for an early Flxible for about  two years. I've learned a lot by just reading and following everyones posts. I thank everyone for sharing your knowledge with us newbys. I don't have time to work on a bus right now so I'm looking for one already redone.

I have found a 1949 Flxible Clipper in California that I'm very interested in. I know it has been for sale for a while and some of you may already know the bus. It has been completely restored inside and out.  It is blue and white and has Starliner written on it. Not sure why since Starliners weren't made in 1949. It has a new 550 Ram Jet (gas engine)and an Allison
6 speed auto transmission. I don't know how to post pictures, but if you google "1949 Flxible bus for sale" a short video of it will pop up.

I like everything about the bus except  for the engine. I know that it will struggle on long/steep hills. They are asing 125,000.00 for her. There are no build pics but it looks to have been done right. I build and collect old cars so I'm pretty good at spotting quality work.
I plan to fly out and inspect it soon.

Is this a reasonable price for such a bus? Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »

Hello Doc,

Nice to go from lurker to poster, I hope you feel welcome. I just came from the Flxible rally in OH and the bus you are looking at is very nice from what I have seen. I am a GM owner so I don't know enough about the Flxible to be any help, but there are many others here that can. That price does raise my eyebrows a bit, but I live at a different disposable income level. Happy bus hunting.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

I have been following Flxible buses for several years, as ours is a Dina Olímpico, which is a Flxible Flxliner clone. On the outside, the bus in the video looks great. But in my opinion, and in today's market, that is a whole lot of money for that bus. Some 24-hour days a fellow doesn't make that kind of many.

Check out all of the old Flxibles (some great, already converted; some needing a lot of TLC) here:

http://www.bargainbusnews.com/

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pvoth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »

125k would get you a nice Prevost....a nice Prevost.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »

Hiya Doc.

Glad to have you onboard. Sounds like you have a lot of fun planned.

My opinion on that bus? Cut the price in a quarter, then it might warrant taking a glance at. In this market today, it sounds to me like somebody is trying to retire off of it. Sadly, with this market, it is often the uninformed buyer that pays that for a vintage bus. Is it worth it? I doubt it, since it has a gas engine.

Boomer, are you out there? How much would you sell your incredible conversion that you were working on? I don't know what kind of bus it is, but it might be called a silver sides. It is the most incredible conversion I have seen. I know he wouldn't part with that masterpiece. However, I think that would be worth at least 125K. And that has been rebuilt like nobodies business.

If it was me, I would keep looking. With your budget, it should help a lot.

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »

Doc, just tried to send you a personal message but it doesn't show in my sent messages so i don't know if it went.  Did you get it?Huh    Ed

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Doc.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome and reply to my post. I know I could buy a Prevost or other modern bus for that kind of money, but I REALLY want a vintage bus. I think I have seen the Silverside that is mentioned above. If it is the one with the art deco interior done by Paradise Coach, I agree it is amazing. That bus has kept me up many nights dreaming of  tooling around with the grandkids in tow,  Any other responses will be appreciated.
Doc.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »

Hi Ed,

Just saw your PM. I'll go read it now. Thanks
John316

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

I found it. The bus is Mark Renner's, and it is a Silverside. That holds the prize, in my book, as the most amazing restored coach that I have seen pics of. http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=24881.0

If the bus that you are looking at is like this one, it might be worth a look. But, since it has a gas engine, I can pretty safely say it is nowhere near Mark's conversion. I would keep on looking.

Have fun.

John

shelled

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:37:53 AM »

the Flxible Doc's original post pointed at on uTube has been up for sale for over a year, or more.  the price mentioned would have bought 6 or 8 nice Flx's on eBay over the last 2 or 3 years including a VERY nice original motorhome produced by Flxible itself in near mint condition that, as I recall, brought less than $15 thousand.

Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 03:12:16 AM »

Doc go for it.

Hell we all spend plenty on our "cheap conversions". I realize no one here is responsible for the bus market being down. But we don't help it when we always talk it down LOL.

Just an observation from far away
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
John316

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 04:47:13 AM »

Doc go for it.....

Awww, come on John. We like the guy, and don't want him to spend all of his repair money on a conversion. The market isn't good, I agree. However, he can probably save enough to pay for a nice vacation for me Grin.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »

It's all the factory conversions from the 80's and 90's driving the market down they are considered a antique and selling cheap  Huh there was a time when people could make a few bucks on a self done conversion those days are gone.I know where a 54 converted Flx is at a buy it has a 366 Chevy gas engine also.

We are in Scottsdale right now I was visiting with my friend whom is a doctor that buys a new bus every 2 or 3 years unbelievable a new bus can sit in a hanger and depreciate 1000 bucks a day that is a lot of cash, used antique buses may be the way to go Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:32:06 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »

I've been at railes with that flxible and it was there with million dollar prevos, but that flex was my favorite and the only one I wanted to get all up into.  So I get your love with it. It's a really Nice coach

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »

Doc -

I think the reason the Flxible you're considering hasn't sold in well over a year of being available is because it's WAY over-priced in today's market.  It would probably sell relatively quickly (in the bus world) if the owner would knock a hundred grand off the price.

Here are a few more resources for you to help in your search:

Yahoo Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/flxowners/info

Flxible Owners International: http://flxibleowners.org/

Sell-A-Bus: http://sellabus.com/flxible.html

On the S-A-B site, I know the fellow in Redding, CA who did the conversion on that particular Flx.  Altho I haven't seen the Flx personally, I have seen a couple other coaches he's converted.  He does absolutely superb work, equal to, or better than, many of the "professional" conversion shops.

BTW, the website Dr Steve mentioned (barganbusnews) is well-known for "stealing" listings from other websites as their own.

At this point, I would suggest you continue doing your homework before taking the plunge. 

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: