Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 12:46:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: should we part it out or fix the 4107  (Read 1366 times)
4104bigred

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »

we have a 4107 with what we think is a bad cam gear. it will need a valve job and the gears repaired at the least, so should we part it out or sell it

the bus is a 1966 seated coach 8v71 with a hubmeter reading of 88 k, 4 speed manual and no power steering

that is the question

chris
231 846 0880
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »

What do/ did you want the bus for?
What will it cost to buy one without these issues?
What will the scrapyard give you for it after you have stripped it for parts?
How is the rest of the coach?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »

What about having a place to store it?  Do you have a place you can keep it for parts or repair in the future.  Most people consider it rather unsightly to have a big ol' bus sitting in their back yard.  I, of course, love the profile of a buffalo and would consider it an objet d' art.  But of course, I wouldn't want to live next door to the little old lady who has 200 cats, nor would I want to have cars that are obscured to the naked eye because of the grass grown up around them, so your neighbors may be a little harsh on your yard art...

But, sometimes the sum of the parts are greater than the whole...meaning, it may be worth more in pieces.

Just my opinion.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:25:11 PM »

Chris,

If the hubmeter is correct, that is pretty low.

Ask these questions.

How is the rest of the bus?

How much to fix the problem?

What is worth not repaired?

Are you willing to keep it?

This may or may not help, but if it was me I would fix it. It is not worth much not running.

Those old 4107's are kinda neat to look at.

You must decide what you want.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:54:14 PM »

A "runner" 4107 of that age is worth maybe $3k as a shell. It's worth very little as a "non" or "problem-runner". While parts are clearly worth more than the "sum of them", parting out a coach is a lot of hard work, will take a LONG time, and you'll eventually have to contend with what to do with the rest of it once the sell-able parts are gone... and what to do with the bus as it's being parted-out.

If you do part it out, a smart thing to do would be to make a website with pictures and part numbers. Then advertise it here and on the other boards. You'll likely make a lot more $ that way than through eBay, etc., since there's a lot of Buffs still on the road out there (like MINE  Smiley) and a lot of folks that drive them will come here for advice, support, etc.

HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:59:12 AM »

Hmmmmmmm you don't have to part it out,you don't have to sell it,looking at it in an entirely different way,use it as a garage,a storage bin so to speak, to put those not needed items in.The best part about it,its on wheels,and can be moved any time..........Frank
kevinksu2005

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:20:59 PM »

What would you be asking for it to sell it "AS IS"? Or, how much do you need/want to get out of it?

May be worth trying that first. Can always part it out later if you don't get your asking price. Hard to sell as a whole after its parted out though.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:38:14 PM »

My 1968 '07 had power steering.  Earlier this year, I purchased a 2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV and I can tell you, my 07 was easier to drive that this piece of c.....but I digress...

Why not fix what needs to be fixed and sell it.  You have to weigh the cost of such. 

If it costs $5000 to fix it, and its only worth 3k, then you know you can't break even.  But, if you happen to have a spare 8V71 laying around and you're pretty handy mechanically, then why not try to fix it yourself.  I agree with previous posts.  It ain't worth much as is. 

Getting back to that Pontiac Torrent...(I just can't let it go).  When we looked at it, we loved it.  It is a sharp looking ride.  Then we test drive it, and my wife just has to have it.  I cannot believe I traded a 2005 Honda CRV for this thing.  It drives like a tank, has no leg room for the driver (passenger has plenty) and my knee gets sore from rubbing against the drivers door.  I never knew when my Honda was cranked because I couldn't even hear it running.  This thing sounds like a freakin deuce and a half.  And, what the heck is wrong with GM that they put the cottonpickin gas tank on the passenger side.  I'm forever getting blowed at by other drivers who think I'm pulling in the wrong way to the pump.  The back seat sits like a dang milk crate.  Man, I can't believe I traded my CRV for this thing Angry...but at least I'm supporting America, even though most of it was probably made in Mexico. Angry 

Sorry for this rant, I don't know where it came from... Undecided

But good luck with your thing bigred.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: