Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 12:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Is Now Turboed!  (Read 2570 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »

Frank- When I pulled Tehachepi, I was behind a MCI 5 and was pulling the same speed, at 40mph.  Considering with my car behind I weigh almost 35,000lb, that's doing pretty good.  Had to back off when the temp got to 200, but still was at 35mph.  Don dynoed the engine and was putting out 300hp at 1700 which works out to be 370hp at 2100.  With using the full 25psi and 7G80 injectors, you could get 400hp and 1200lb/ft of torque (compared to my 1100lb/ft). That would possibly get you 5 more mph on the hill.  Don does have a 470hp 8V-71 in his own bus.  Personally, I am very satisfied with the performance improvement.  I think it is ultimately better to go through your own engine than starting from scratch with someone elses. 
I upgraded the radiator from a 5 row straight fin to a 6 row serpintine fin core that the radiator shop said should be 20% more cooling.  Also upgraded the air cleaner from a 1100cfm 6" opening to a 1600cfm 7" opening, both 13" in diameter.  I am still putting the finishing touches on the air cleaner, and haven't driven it yet.  Jan 27 will be taking the bus back to Bakersfield to have Don install the fuel regulator to prevent it from smoking before the turbo spools up, and I'll report back after that how it pulled the Grapevine.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »

TOM.....thanks for the reply,what % grade is Tehachepi,and how long is it.

Next time you see Don,if you would,see if you can find out how much torque his 470HP motor puts out,and how big of a radiator does he have to have to cool this beast.I'm also curious as to how big  his intake and exhaust is.I'm sure their are those besides myself who would like to know.

Does he have this motor in a GMC or another type of bus,thanks again.......Frank
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: