Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 03:20:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family Bus  (Read 4517 times)
lotsokids

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »

Smiley
Hi all,

I have silently been observing for a while, and still trying to learn my way around the site, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.† Maybe someone could show me to the links?† I see most people tend to be older without kids, we are a family with 7 sons (soon to be 8!) and are interested in trying to do full time/near full time for a year or so and take the kids to see America instead of just reading about it.† †It surprises me that with these huge bus sizes and motorhomes, very few have sleeping arrangements for all of us.† So a few of my questions are.

1) It seems that I am heading towards a custom job to get the sleeping arrangements, and layout where kids can do schoolwork, and I can have a mobile office.† Are there any examples of conversions who have done something similar? Maybe we could learn something from there floorplans and equipment so we don't re-invent the wheel

2)I see a lot of talk about MCI-9's and Prevost coaches.† To my limited understanding I see that a Prevost costs a lot more typically than the MCI-9, but don't know why.† †Is there anyplace on the web, or in these forums that outlines the advantages between the two and the differences between the years/body styles/engines, etc?

3)† Reputable people/sources for purchasing used ones?† Any place that list appropriate price range for year/mileage/coach condition (like a blue book), I know the conversion options would add to the price but, at least if I knew a base price it would help.

3)I am a little scared by what happened at walker coach, Not that I was looking at anything near that price but are there a list of companies that do interior work with a good reputation and not a fortune?† I am not looking for something for a movie star, but something practical, but will hold up also to all the kids.† I think that would steer me a way from a lot of the big places as I donít think I could afford them, but I donít want to go to Fast Eddies Kustom Koach and drive off with things falling off down the highway!

4) I have seen truck conversions that seem cheaper, but I am concerned about the safety of the box for the family.† It seems that buses are the safer option, but I donít know that for sure.† Are truck conversions only as sturdy as the typical motorhome?

I am sure I will have many more questions, thanks in advance!

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »

You should consider looking at buses designed for group travel.  That would be buses called "Entertainer Coaches".  It is not terribly unusual to see one of these buses designed to sleep as many as 16.  They have 40' or 45'. 

Of course, money is probably not a factor with you.  I have one kid and I can assure you that I could not take off a month, much less a year to travel around the country.  So, if money is no object, why not buy one of the entertainer coaches at www.staleycoach.com.  Now, I've never done business with them, but I know folks who have.  I did go and tour their facility once and got to check out their buses.  They are nice folks.  But, as with any business, you will probably find folks on this board, or any other for that matter, that might poor mouth them.  I've even seen people poor mouth some of the folks on this board that I know would rather take a beating than to try to beat someone else. 

MAK, who operates this board, can probably customize a bus for you that would fit your needs quite nicely.

Whatever you do, have fun!  I wish I had a house full of youngins, but I can't talk my wife into it.  With as many kids as you have, you should have plenty of cheap labor Grin

AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD!  WE ARE ALL IN YOUR CORNER!

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:24:10 PM »

http://busbuilding.com/bus-conversion/mci-bus-model-history/

http://busforsaleguide.com/mci.htm

What you need is an Entertainer.  Like a band or traveling group would use.  Lots of bed space.

There are a ton of websites I used, when trying to shop for a unit.  Here are a couple.

Good Luck in your search.  Of course, I'm sure someone is about to tell you that you need to get down to Arcadia, Florida next week.  For Bussin' 2007.  

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

I wish money were not a factor! Grin† It just happens that I can do a lot of my work by telecommuting.† So, if I can have an internet connection I can make it work.† †Thanks for the tip of staleycoach, I will take a look brojcol.† †My kids are still very young (the oldest is 9) but they can still help a lot, but probably not exactly a fulltime work crew yet!

Thanks for the links Kwajdiver! Those look very helpful.

You should consider looking at buses designed for group travel.  That would be buses called "Entertainer Coaches".  It is not terribly unusual to see one of these buses designed to sleep as many as 16.  They have 40' or 45'. 

Of course, money is probably not a factor with you.  I have one kid and I can assure you that I could not take off a month, much less a year to travel around the country.  So, if money is no object, why not buy one of the entertainer coaches at www.staleycoach.com.  Now, I've never done business with them, but I know folks who have.  I did go and tour their facility once and got to check out their buses.  They are nice folks.  But, as with any business, you will probably find folks on this board, or any other for that matter, that might poor mouth them.  I've even seen people poor mouth some of the folks on this board that I know would rather take a beating than to try to beat someone else. 

MAK, who operates this board, can probably customize a bus for you that would fit your needs quite nicely.

Whatever you do, have fun!  I wish I had a house full of youngins, but I can't talk my wife into it.  With as many kids as you have, you should have plenty of cheap labor Grin

AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD!  WE ARE ALL IN YOUR CORNER!

Jimmy

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:40:19 PM by lotsokids » Logged
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:47:06 PM »

Lots of busnuts use their buses like a "steel tent".  If you are going to convert it yourself, don't let it scare you off of traveling if it ain't finished yet.  Just put in the basic necessities (toilet, shower, TV) and hit the road.  Your kids will love sleeping on the floor.  When I was a kid, after I watched Rambo, I decided that "mountain man survivor" was the only life for me.  Santa Claus brought me a survival knife for Christmas and I was out to the woods.  I built my own leanto's and cooked my own little fish out under the stars.  Of course, when the matches got wet, it was time to go home.

Point is, it don't take much to make kids happy!  Just feed them and keep them out of the elements and they're good to go.

BTW, keep your eyes open on buying an entertainer coach.  Some of them are very well cared for, but most of them are rode hard and put up wet!

Just my opinion...

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:58:24 PM »

Hello lotsokids,

Welcome to our BBS!  We are glad to try and answer your questions.

Seems that bunks will fit your needs well, sort of like an entertainer set up.

Jimmy [BROJCOL] has given you a couple great ideas and starting points.

I can add that a good way to get a feel of a layout is tape out a 40' X 8' area and maybe use cardboard to partition some

walls. This will give you a sence of space in a bus. Then work on it from there.

Good Luck to you and Happy Hollidays!

Nick Badame

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JerryH

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:03:45 PM »

I would second the opinion of getting an entertainer coach.
9 boys and 2 adults?  You can find a 12 bunk unit (typ.) or a "star coach" which would often offer a queen/double and six bunks.
Although others will shoot down this suggestions, I'd for sure go for a 45-footer.  With eleven dedicated family members, I wouldn't short yourselves on space.

Look at the following links:

http://www.busforsale.com/
http://staleycoach.com/

Of the entertainer coaches, Prevost will be most common for newer models, with Eagle and Prevost on older models.  The Eagles will (should) fetch less money than the Prevosts.  I am an MCI fan, but the list of entertainers in an MCI will be fewer.  You'll also see Van Hools -- but would suggest the Prevost over the Van Hool.  You'll get different answers about the Eagles and their pros and cons.

Jerry H.

oh ... a final ps:  camping in your "tin tent".  I have two kids, wife, me and the dog.  I personally can't see tenting it in a bus.  But that's just me.  Just me and the wife ... maybe?  A family of 11?   Just depends on your needs and lifestyle.
captain ron

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:27:37 PM »

It would help to know where your located, that way we can steer you to closer places and a lot of us are capable of converting or helping in the conversion or even revamping an existing conversion or entertainer coach to better fit your needs. Good luck
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »

You will have a great time touring with your children!  We have 10 children and have been all over the last five years.  It is not uncommon for large families to travel in buses. Next month we will be at a prison ministry that will have five families that I know of with a totla of 48 kids up to the age of about 24.  Do it now and never look back, you will never regret it.  People worry about the money, if we did that we would never have had any children.  Now we have a great life.  Spending time with your children is the best investment that you can make.  I'll stop now before I get started

Jim
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:53:05 PM »

I see most people tend to be older without kids

That would be true, but there are still a few out there with kids, a bus, and a job. My wife and I have six children, the oldest turned 16 last month and our youngest is 3. We have three boys and three girls (not in that order). We home school, so that made it somewhat easy to have a flexible schedule until my oldest started collage this year. Now we have to schedule trips around her classes. I also have a job that is not conducive to full timing, and I am the type that likes to have a ďhome baseĒ anyway.

There are a few families that had a very positive influence on our decision to buy a bus; they each have proven that it can be a fun and rewarding experience.

Here are some links:

Brian Brown (Spaceship Buffalo) is one family that I would most like to emulate; they have a home but still manage to tear up some serious pavement. When I get discouraged I sometimes visit the brownland links and get excited about bussing again.

Brian gives one of the best arguments on why a bus instead of a stick and staple RV (I think he has some pics to back up his point). I think if you do a search in the postings you will find it. If not, I am sure he would go over it again.

http://www.brownland.org/travel/western05/cover.htm
http://www.brownland.org/travel/texas05/
http://www.brownland.org/travel/iowa/
http://www.brownland.org/travel/texas06/1.htm
http://www.brownland.org/travel/cosprings06/1.htm
http://www.brownland.org/bus/index.htm

Modified 12/20/06 - The link I was looking for, thanks Brian & Lotsokids

http://www.archtex.com/bus/why.htm

This family is one of the first I found when I started looking into the possibility of buying a bus. They do it full time and are having lots of fun doing it. I also find their adventures a great motivator for me as I pursue my dreams. This family has several links to other families that are full-timing that are very good, but most are just using a RV.

http://www.extremefamily.com/
http://www.extremefamily.com/thebus.htm
http://www.extremefamily.com/buildingthebus.htm
http://www.extremefamily.com/pastadv.htm

This site is dedicated to families that are on the road full-time or those who want to be:

http://www.familiesontheroad.com/

Here is a pic from one of our trips this year, we had a blast!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:05:12 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 03:57:55 AM »

Greetings lotsokids,

Can't imagine how you came up with your name! You have a quite a tribe there.

As other have stated an entertainer coach is your best bet, the bigger the better, at least in your situation. At least they are still young and won't take up too much space. Some have even installed small bedrooms in the luggage bays with access through the inside floor.

Half the fun of this busnut stuff is the planning, that does not hurt the pocket book, yet.

Whatever you purchase, Good Luck and enjoy your time with them. One of the best you will ever have.

Many Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 07:59:23 AM »

Thank you for all the great posts/links!†
A few more questions, if I buy an entertainer coach does that mean it is not an RV or can I get it re-titled as an RV? Or does that mean I just have to get a CDL?†
Are you allowed to tow vehicles in places like california where I think I read the 45' limit on length if you purchase a 45' bus?†

Also, as to Captain Ron's Question, we live in new hampshire.   Jatnip, I wish we had some singing talents, that sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:13:00 AM by lotsokids » Logged
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 08:09:58 AM »

..and do consider a bay as a bedroom.
lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 08:24:53 AM »

The bay bedroom idea sounds great, I haven't yet searched all the sites you all have been so nice to provide me, but does one of those have an example or can you post a link?
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 08:29:43 AM »

Check this site. Moose Creek MotorCabins builds bay bedrooms.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:23:30 AM »

You don't need a CDL to drive a bus conversion/RV for family use (let the flaming begin).  However, I recommend that you at least look into it if you've never operated a vehicle with air-brakes.  It's a little different.  If I've learned one thing on this board, it's that each state has different rules and regulations about length, what you haul, etc.  Thing is, with a CDL, no one will question your right to operate your bus, whatever you do with it. 

I'm from Mississippi and have been transplanted in Pennsylvania.  In MS, you didn't need anything to drive a bus conversion except a regular license.  Also, to have it titled as an RV, you simply had to tell them it was for RV use.  When I went to get my insurance, they inspected the bus to make sure that it had some sort of conversion process in place.  I had my toilet and shower installed, so no problem. 

I suggest that you contact the DMV and ask to speak with someone familiar with RVs.  Chances are, they've come across this before.

Jimmy

jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 09:23:30 AM »

I have seen many "family" buses and "most" any bus that you buy you will have to remodel to suit your need as hardly anyone builds a bus for families.  Most buses are Ma Pa types. 
Jim
JerryH

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »

Thank you for all the great posts/links!†
A few more questions, if I buy an entertainer coach does that mean it is not an RV or can I get it re-titled as an RV? Or does that mean I just have to get a CDL?†
Are you allowed to tow vehicles in places like california where I think I read the 45' limit on length if you purchase a 45' bus?†

Also, as to Captain Ron's Question, we live in new hampshire.† †Jatnip, I wish we had some singing talents, that sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks again!

Lots:

You won't need a CDL if the unit is titled as an RV.  The 45-foot rule (I am confident) has been relaxed in Calif., I read something about it and pretty sure I included a link under another thread topic.

If you have the opportunity to gain more knowledge about driving a bus, ultimately getting your CDL, I think (personally) it's a good thing.  I trained through our local school district and am a part-time substitute.  I was paid while going through their -- pay subject to passing DMV testiing. 

As far as bedrooms in the "basement" (cargo bays).  Yes, have seen that done before, kinda nifty ... but then again you lose valuable storage space (robbing Peter to pay Paul).  I'd opt 9 bunks, plus queen ... or 11 bunks.  We have 4 bunks for the four of us.  So much for intimacy or romance  Smiley

Jerry H.
lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »

THanks again everyone.   I had a CDL several years ago when I was in the fireservice.  I will have to figure out how to go about getting certified again because it is good to be refreshed on all of that.    Thanks Brian for the link on bus construction.  http://www.archtex.com/bus/why.htm, very helpful.

Also, JerryH can you share any things on why you prefer the MCI vs the prevost?  I know a lot is probably personal taste, but maybe you could share some features that might be important that I wouldn't have thought about.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:35:54 PM by lotsokids » Logged
Rich (Prevost)

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the entertainer coaches. I work for Prevost, Nashville Service Center. And kinow most of the guys selling coaches. Most are very good. They don't try to hide things, but if you don't ask the right questions.......I also have a lot of experience with Eagle, GMC & MCI coaches.

Rich

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 03:06:31 PM »

Lots -

If you are in CA, here's a helpful link:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/fs-motorhms.htm

If you're not in CA, note that in the above link there is mention of other state's requirements.

Generally speaking, you do NOT have to have a CDL to drive an entertainer coach, unless it's "for hire" - in other words, somebody's getting paid to drive the coach and somebody is getting paid for the use of their vehicle.  Basically, if it's just you and your family, and the coach is registered as a motorhome, RV or "housecar" (CA's term), you can get by with a normal automobile license.  Exception in CA as noted in the link, however.

Rich at Prevost would be an excellent source to get you started on the right foot.  Nashville is currently the "hub" of entertainer coach converting, leasing and sales, which is where you probably should concentrate your efforts, if that's the way you choose to go.  You can contact him by using the button under his name to send him a private message.

As for a coach shell, the major difference between an MCI and a Prevost is market share - MCI outsells Prevost, overall, about 5-1 or so in the commercial coach segment.  In the motorhome shell segment, it's probably a toss-up, with Prevost having a slight lead.

MC-9s are the most popular highway coach ever built, over 9000 of them were produced.  The venerable 35-foot GMC PD4104 is second, with 5065.  The MCI "D" series, I believe, is rapidly approaching, if not already surpassed, the 4104 in units produced, and may be closing in on the 9.  A good coach, actually, available in both 40 and 45-foot lengths.

The Prevost XL and H series are very popular as both motorhomes and entertainer cars.  Both are available in 40 and 45 foot.

The discontinued Eagle, especially the early 1990's 45-foot models, may be an excellent buy if you can find one in an entertainer configuration.  By this point in time, Eagle was much better about rustproofing their chassis, compared to those built up until the very late 1980s.  Eagles have a unique ride, due to their Torsilastic suspension, compared to the air suspenion of the other manufacturers.  For years, Eagle was THE choice for entertainer cars, primarily because of thier pleasing ride.

And a final, important  point:  ALWAYS sleep in an entertainer coach with your feet pointing forward, toward the steering wheel.  Less chance of major injuries in a sudden stop situation for those who are snoozing.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dreamscape

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »

Don't forget, Eagle production is back at www.silvereaglebus.com.

Paul

Dreamscape
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »

Thanks for the kudos, Barn Owl! I have to make some new trip journals for Glenwood Springs, The Black Hills, and St. Louis that we did this Summer and Fall in the SpaceShip... now that the "flip that house" chapter of our lives is finally coming to a close (knock on wood).

Lotsofkids, I often peruse the busforsale site, drooling over the Entertainers they have on there. There's a sweet Provo$t 12 bunk sleeper on there at the moment. Dunno your budget, but it's way spendier than ours. There's a "three-bedroom" Eagle on there that I've had my eye on for some time that's a bit more in our "wheelhouse".  There's a handful of 12-bunkers, already set up for a bevy of travellers.

Even though we only have three "young-uns", the entertainers coaches actually suit our lifestyle better than the "Gram and Gramps" rear bedroom coaches you typically find. I might have to trade up to a 40' coach now that my kids are getting bigger (well... longer).

A 40' GMC Buffalo only has two axles and some of the biggest bays in the biz. A bedroom bay is very doable in one of those, since you have more bay space than your typical 40' three-axle coach. Chaz's 35' Buff has a bay bed by the look of this pic (click here) The Buffs are getting a bit "long in the tooth" for some folks' taste, but consequently they are cheaper than a comparable MCI, Prevost, or even Eagle. If you can find one with an automatic (V730 preferred by me), you'll find it more drivable in RV service. If you don't do much camping, and stick to the superslabs and big parking lots (and don't have to back up often), the 4-speed stick will give you more MPH and MPG.

Whatever you choose, or even if you go "toterhome", please "come on in" to this wonderful forum. There's a lot of good folks and a TON of information, opinions, and (usually) good-natured banter to be had here.

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
JerryH

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 04:28:10 PM »

Also, JerryH can you share any things on why you prefer the MCI vs the prevost?† I know a lot is probably personal taste, but maybe you could share some features that might be important that I wouldn't have thought about.

Lots:  I personally think without doubt, most of the Prevost models (XLII being one of my favorite) are a better looking coach than "most" (not all) MCI's.  But they usually fetch a higher price, so that was clearly one deciding factor.  Unless I am wrong (someone else can correct me) there are more MC-9's (for example) out there than similar vintage Prevosts.  Parts should be easy to find -- you can likely find something (parts wise) that'll work in an MCI as well, whether new or parted out.  As far as service -- should be more user-friendly as well across the US.  The Prevost units do have great "curb appeal" though.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, what would I purchase -- still an MCI, likely the D4505 (new look) as I've always liked the 102DL3 and would love to have a 45-foot x 102" wide model.  Prevost has done a great job catering to the conversion market, while I think MCI hasn't done a great job.  But I am still an MCI diehard.

But, if I was starting out ... if cost were a factor ... if I could afford to purchase some newer that had some miles on it, yet still in good condition for a decent price (and I had 9 kids).  I'd probably be looking at a Prevost bus configured for an entertainer, that's already configured in such a way that I could make subtle changes as needed to fit our familys lifestyle.

That's just me.

Jerry H.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »

I knew I had a song in my head for you...

"It's a big job just gettin' by with nine kids and a wife
I been a workin' man dang near all my life
I'll be working long as my two hands are fit to use
I'll drink my beer in a tavern,
Sing a little bit of these working man blues"

Merle Haggard, "Workin' Man Blues"

Jimmy

lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »

Thanks again everyone!    Very helpful comparisons on the MCI and the Provosot!   

On a funny note, my wife would kill me if she headr all this discussion about 9 kids.  Just to set the record straight, we are expecting our 8th child, and my oldest is 9years old, I think that is where the nine got started from one of my earlier posts.   But anyway the all the advice still holds 8 or 9.  Thanks again.
JerryH

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 07:43:27 PM »

Thanks again everyone!† † Very helpful comparisons on the MCI and the Provosot!† †

On a funny note, my wife would kill me if she headr all this discussion about 9 kids.† Just to set the record straight, we are expecting our 8th child, and my oldest is 9years old, I think that is where the nine got started from one of my earlier posts.† †But anyway the all the advice still holds 8 or 9.† Thanks again.

I'M BAD!!   I think that was me who added the 9th!  Sorry.  Sad

Jerry H.
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 09:28:09 PM »

We are just a year ahead of you.  Next year this time we will be talking about number 10 coming.
Jim
lotsokids

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 04:59:05 AM »

Thanks again everyone.  A few more questions have come up.  I remember reading on one site that the family felt their sewage tanks were too small, but I don't know how big they should be.  Do you have any formulas, based on # of people?  Or do entertainer type buses already have big tanks?

My other question, is about bay bedrooms, those can be made accessible from the inside of the bus right?  Are people able to use them while the bus is moving or is that a thing to only use when the bus is parked?

How do these buses handle on snow and ice?  Or does everyone try to stay out of snowy areas when they plan their trips?   I know greyhound runs all year, but I am just wondering is it a scary thing, or do they get stuck easily?

Thanks!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 05:56:26 AM »

The entertainer coaches that I am familiar with do not have a shower or cooking facilities and do not permit "#2" in the toilet.  They are mostly used for transport from the venue to a hotel and not really considered liveaboards.

In fact, the one's I have seen do not even have a dump hose connection.  The driver just operates a remote control dump valve on the side of the road or on the road at night.  Now that was more than ten years ago, maybe things have changed.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 07:40:38 AM »

How do these buses handle on snow and ice?  Or does everyone try to stay out of snowy areas when they plan their trips?   I know greyhound runs all year, but I am just wondering is it a scary thing, or do they get stuck easily?

Lots -

Most busnuts either head south for the winter and stay away from snow/ice, or park their rig 'til spring.

It's not a scary thing at all, once you understand the limitations.  Probably easier than a car, simply because of the increased visibility of what's taking place in front of you, giving you that much more time to react to changing situations.

If you have to drive in those conditions, you'll find that a bus will often keep going when the 4x4 Tahoe gets bogged down.  Stopping, however, is another story - like triple the distance that Tahoe takes. They will slide on ice, just like a car. (Somewhere out in my garage I've got a video of a transit bus sliding downhill on ice and pushing a car along with it!  Wheee!!!)

Simple thing to remember (even in your car):  Drive like you've got a raw egg strapped to the bottom of your right foot, and DON'T BREAK THE EGG!!

That simple little tip works very, very well, and can save your tush.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 07:48:12 AM »

You ca size your tank specifically for yoru situation.  You have to know how much water your toilet uses, tehn you know roughtly how many times it can be flushed into your tank.  If you use a house toilet at 1.6 gls a flush, and have a 50 gal tank, then you can flush about 30 times before its full.  So figure how many people you have, and how many times the go each day and you have your tank limits.  Generally, the bigger the tank the better, espeically with kids.  They may all need some instruction on saving water.

I have and RV toilet that uses about 1 pint per flush, a 58 gal black tank, I can go a long time before I need to dump the tank.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
JerryH

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 08:01:10 AM »

The entertainer coaches that I am familiar with do not have a shower or cooking facilities and do not permit "#2" in the toilet.† They are mostly used for transport from the venue to a hotel and not really considered liveaboards.

In fact, the one's I have seen do not even have a dump hose connection.† The driver just operates a remote control dump valve on the side of the road or on the road at night.† Now that was more than ten years ago, maybe things have changed.

Len

Some entertainers do offer shower for sure.  I think more of the newer models, 45-foot, 9 and 12 bunk models.  The kitchen isusually nothing more than kitchenette with small sink, microwave, refrigerator, etc.   The electric dump "I think" (should be) rare.  We have it and really don't use it as simply dumping your waste on the side of the road (or on a Chicago bridge) will land you in heaps of trouble.  And I never heard of NOT being able to do "#2" on an entertainer coach, but maybe on the older models the band members didn't poop or bath -- dunno.

Jerry H.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »

The entertainer coaches that I am familiar with do not have a shower or cooking facilities and do not permit "#2" in the toilet.† They are mostly used for transport from the venue to a hotel and not really considered liveaboards.

In fact, the one's I have seen do not even have a dump hose connection.† The driver just operates a remote control dump valve on the side of the road or on the road at night.† Now that was more than ten years ago, maybe things have changed.

Len

Some entertainers do offer shower for sure.† I think more of the newer models, 45-foot, 9 and 12 bunk models.† The kitchen isusually nothing more than kitchenette with small sink, microwave, refrigerator, etc.† †The electric dump "I think" (should be) rare.† We have it and really don't use it as simply dumping your waste on the side of the road (or on a Chicago bridge) will land you in heaps of trouble.† And I never heard of NOT being able to do "#2" on an entertainer coach, but maybe on the older models the band members didn't poop or bath -- dunno.

Jerry H.

It may certainly not be the norm in the business but Ace knows who I am talking about.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: