Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 09:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do for the newbie?  (Read 1693 times)
captainsfirstmate

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2006, 08:35:34 AM »

Hi there,
We are new.  So new, in fact, that the baby hasn't come home yet.  She is waiting to be picked up and finalized.  We found an MCI-9 with all the seats still inside it.  It's nice, from the pics the Captain took of it.

QUESTION:  What do you get for the new Captain? 

I wanted to get him something for Christmas for his new lifestyle, bussing across the US.  Though we have work ahead of us, in our conversion, we are very excited to get started. 

QUESTION:  How do you rate The Bus Converters Bible?

I saw it online and thought of getting him that, but I saw some negative reviews.

I look forward to getting her home, naming her and posing pics of her and the rest of the family.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO Y'ALL!!!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 08:48:38 AM »

Here's some ideas...

DeWalt 18V Cordless drill
Pneumatic hammer chisel
Pneumatic rivet gun
Acetylene torch
7"-9" grinder
Welder
12-20 ton hydraulic jacks
wrenches larger than 1"
laser thermometer
large box of bandaids
straight jacket

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:24:37 AM »

If you can't go for the "straight Jacket" idea posed by Craig I would suggest the book is an appropriate place to begin.  I purchased the book when I first started this journey myself.  I think the book is full of great ideas and even if never applied directly to the conversion the information alone is worth the price.  Go ahead and get the book, just be prepared to take it as you would any other advise --- "with a grain of salt".
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:29:36 AM »

".... the baby hasn't come home yet.  She is waiting to be picked up and finalized ....."

... it may be too late for it ...... but psychotherapy is always a nice gift .......

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Dallas

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »

Captainsfirstmate,

All these jokers on this board will likely lead you astray with their witticsm and attempts at humor.

I, on the other hand, being the serious and considerate person I am think that as a gift you could possibly get the Captain a set of shackles and a padlock, then make him his own little homey space in the basement until his delusions pass.

If I were you, I would also give myself a promotion to Fleet Admiral, for all you are going to have to put up with from here on out.

Dallas
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »

Captainsfirstmate,

All these jokers on this board will likely lead you astray with their witticsm and attempts at humor.

Hey!! Mine were serious suggestions!  Those are some to the most useful tools needed to start a conversion.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »

And gumpy's ideas are right on the mark.  Very useful And way better than the book.  While I found the book interesting, it really was not of much help.  And if you wait, you can have it for free. Ian on the other board opens up new chapters to read for free every month - or is that every quarter, but if you're patient, you don't have to buy it.  I found it was worth what I paid for it.

I might add a  plasma cutter too, but only if you're going to do a lot of metal work.  Amazing tool.

I use my infrared laser thermometer for all kinds of things.  very good for maintanance and trouble shooting long after the conversion is done and for all things mechanical.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »

You guys are TOOOOO much!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL But, there is truth in them thar words!!!
 My suggestion is concern and compassion for the ol'boy. Tools are good too!!!! (your right Gumpy!!!)

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:20:03 AM »

Simple first step...

Cleaning products.
Broom, dustpan, garbage bags, 2- jugs of Fast Orange Hand cleaner,
100 white shop rags and 100 general purpose rags.

Cordless drill ( 18 or 24 volt ) with quick change bit holder. and box of # 2 Phillips screwdriver bits.

I just found something that works better than anything else that I have tried to clean with...

http://www.tufstuff.com

I am not a salesman for them, I simply tried and found that it works...

No acids, won't hurt aluminum and will cut through soot and grunge like a plasma cutter on steroids.
Pricey YES... My wife just mixed a sprayer up 5-1 ratio, Took 25 years of grunge off my MC9 dashboard
that even "purple stuff" wouldnt touch. She says Hey I found the orginal color.

The guy I bought mine from sprayed a 25-1 mix onto my steel wheels ( rears ) in less than 30 seconds
he took a shop towel and removed the black grunge from where he sprayed.

I had tried Castrol Purple Power and it wouldn't touch it even with a brush and pressure cleaner...

I am amazed that a non-toxic cleaner would cut through that mess...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 11:54:32 AM »

How about a subscription to the Bus Conversions Magazine!  Everytime I get mine, I'm like a kid in Toys'r'us!

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »

Shop Vac and a 120 volt pressure washer and 10 gallons of purple stuff cleaner

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
JerryH

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 07:25:01 PM »

QUESTION:  What do you get for the new Captain?

CaptainsFirstMate:

On the same order as Craigs, here's MY (1) pick!

DeWalt 18V (cordless) Impact.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=144367-70-DW056K-2&lpage=none

Of all the tools I own, this is THE best.  I have half a dozen cordless drills.  This is #1.  I had the earlier 12v model, which I still use and like, but the 18v it great.

As stocking stuffers, get #2 phillips, drill bits for 1/4" quick change, etc.

He will love it.

That's my $0.02,
Jerry H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: