Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 01:21:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boost gauge readings?  (Read 1966 times)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 04:08:29 PM »

I'd go with the pyrometer. If your pyro is right you can run 1100 all day but you need to be careful. use that horsepower going up the hill and down shift and cool it off before you go over the top by down shifting and running against the govenor to pump lots of water the last half mile or so. give it throttle a couple times going over the other side to put some heat back in the heads so they dont cool real fast and crack. the reason the pyro is so handy is when the water temp gauge lies. most engines will run at 900 degrees. if your water temp gauge says 130 because a hose broke and there is no water to read the pyro will start to climb right off the dash at which time you can shut down and save your engine. pretty cool hu

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »

Buswarrior, what are the "unintended outcomes" of turbo pipe wrapping you mention?

I might as well install a pyro. I have to buid an adaptor to mount turbo to mamifold, so drilling and tapping a hole for probe is easy enough.

Thanks again.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 07:58:51 PM »

Hello lostagain.

My comment was of a more general nature in that any time you do something the original manufacturer didn't do, in order to improve performance, we need to be sure of unintended outcomes.

For instance, the manufacturer may have intended some loss of heat around the pipes, and there may be heat related issues downstream that the engineering of original parts may not withstand reliably.

For the most part, the original equipment engineering has been quite thorough, and when we mess around, we trade long term reliability for short term gain. Of course, as a busnut, long term reliability/short term gain may be a completely different relative term from a commercial enterprise driving many thousands of miles a year versus our paltry mileage, but none the less, we have to understand the effects of our actions on the rest of the package, decide if we are willing to face the consequences, and act accordingly!

As far as wrapping pipes is concerned, I'd be wrapping them to either reduce the fire hazard in the engine room or reduce the heat transfer to the engine room, more than for a performance boost. I'll suggest that you won't feel the difference in performance.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 09:30:40 PM »

Buswarrior, thanks, I'll have to do some heat shielding anyway because the turbo is close to the bed. So I'll look into these heat wraps some more.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all you bus nuts and your loved ones!

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: