Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPS Repair  (Read 942 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »

I've narrowed my MD3060 problems down to a possible bad TPS.  The resistance readings are not what is expected and very narrow. The question:  Can the TPS be dis-assembled and cleaned with a solvent of some kind?  I'm thinking of electronic tuner cleaner or something. I haven't removed it yet and I can't see if it comes apart.  Any experience here?

Thanks,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 03:29:11 PM »

Hi Len,

Maybe, if you can get it apart, electronic cleaner might work for a while. You will see, once you get inside, that it is just a simple rheostat. I would sugest that it has prolly lived its useful life.

hth, Tq

Torquester
1974 Silver Eagle, 3406 Caterpillar, South Dakota
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 03:34:08 PM »

My guess would be it started life a sealed unit, and is no more.

Even if you get it to sort of work, I doubt it will stay reliable.

Time to spend on a Cristmas present for yourself/the bus!!

Then it is done once, done permanently, and you may mess around with the other things on the "to do" list!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
DuaneMC7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »

You have a little time left, ask Santa Grin

Remember, anything’s possible it’s just iron, well, almost.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 07:53:28 PM »

Keep the old TPS so that you can "orient" the new unit to exactly the same position.   Yours may not be adjustable, but many are.   I agree with the opinion that a TPS isn't typically serviceable.  The shaft seals leak and once they start to fail, they are permanently screwed. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »

Never mind, the TPS is OK!
There is something really wierd about this Cummins injector pump.  When it is running everything works well but when I operate the (air) throttle with the engine off, it doesn't return to idle by itself.  Just a little push on it at the engine brings it right back.  Think I'll add another return spring.

Anyway, thats why I thought my TPS resistance readings were off.

I'm convinced now that I have a software problem.  I can see that the ECU has been replaced and it most likely was not set up properly.  I'll try to get to Allison next week.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: