Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 12:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, so far, this trip suck!  (Read 4422 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 06:44:48 AM »

Craig,

Been away from the BBS for a couple days with the plague.

Glad everyone is OK.          Everthing else money can be thrown at!  Cry  Wink

Hope the rest of your trip goes according to your plans.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 06:52:19 AM »

Why you staying in a hotel??

When we planned this trip, I wasn't coming to Arcadia. It's only a days drive from home, and Teri's family is in the hotel, and kind of wanted us to stay there to be close for Christmas and all. I did some cost analysis and it seemed I would not spend much more to drive the car down and stay in the hotel vs. bring the bus and try to find a place to park and all, so we decided to do that and made reservations. Well, plans changed, and I now have 3 vehicles in NE! The bus and toad, and the pickup Teri and the kids need to go home as I go to Arcadia. I would not have had time to go home after Christmas and get the bus and get to FL by Friday.  Priorities, you know.

This is turning out to be one expensive trip!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 07:04:22 AM »

Here's the damage...

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »

Be glad is was not elk.  Glad you are OK.  Bus, as said can be fixed.  A friend of mine hit a elk with a 76 Cad eldorado and it totalled the car, he was OK though and was glad he was in a big tank sort of.
Enjoy the rest of the trip.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 08:35:40 AM »

Craig-  First off-glad the deer didn't do more damage either to you or your bus.  The headlight assembly looks fairly easy to replace.
The fuel leak is a bummer, but you got that handled also!

Comment- I drove cross country truck for 21 years and can tell you break downs happen at the worse time (is there ever a good time?).  Even with giving the truck repair shop carte blanche to try to find things wrong with the truck and constant preventative maintenence, stuff is just going to happen.  You've got to try to be ready for it and not got bonkers when it does happen.  Just as an example, I just my bus back from Don Fairchild after being turbo charged.  My wife and I drove up to Bakersfield (from Los Angeles), picked up the bus and drove directly to Las Vegas (last Thursday).  Stopped at the rest area 35 miles before Baker and discovered a rather nice fuel leak coming from the cross over line in the front of the engine going from the left to the right head.  Thought it may be loose, could get a wrench into it, but couldn't turn it (isn't it always the hardest to get fitting that fails?).  So decided to drive the 35 miles to Baker since I knew that there was a heavy duty tow (Ken's Towing) there.  Friday morning had Good Sam Towing load the bus on a Landoll trailer with Ken's Towing and I paid the extra $165.00 (they tow to the nearest facility which would have been Barstow-but I much rather be in Las Vegas) to tow to Las Vegas Detroit Diesel (W.W. Williams) shop.  They couldn't look at it until Saturday, so they had 30 amp hookups there at Williams and spent the night there.  Don Fairchild felt so bad about this, he drove up Saturday from Bakersfield to Las Vegas and fixed it in the parking lot which involved draining some coolant (about 5 gal), removing the fuel pump and coolant cross over tube.  Don replaced the line with an Aeroquip line in about 2.5 hrs, and all was fine (the old metal line cracked below the flair-I think just old line).
My point- we are driving the heaviest duty vehicles available on the road and make them extra complicated with the conversion stuff.  While they are as reliable as could be made, parts will fail, and just have to go with the flow and get it fixed.  IMHO- this is where some get into trouble since some are running on a razor thin budget.  Please all- either have a credit card with $20,000 limit on it (to pay for a blown engine or transmission) or reconsider whether owning a bus is really in your budget.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 09:02:07 AM »

Hi Tom
If we really waited till we could afford one of the beast, then most of us would be on the side line.HAHA  Really though a bus seems like minor repairs when comparied to a airplane, now that is expensive.  My late wife and I have had MH, boats, a airplane, clasic cars, that is another expensive hoby, traveled and done a lot of other things, she even jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 72 years old.  You are right though when going on a trip have cash and credit cards.  Years ago our boat broke at LAKE POWELL, glad we had credit cards.  Got her fixed, enjoyed the rest of the stay at the lake and when we got home knuckled down and paid the bills.  In all the years of travel we have had good trips, not so good trips, and some down right #$##$##$# trips, but in the end always had fun.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 09:37:01 AM »

OK.  I have the headlight bowls and panels located (they are still assembled) .  Cannot find the bezel.   I've gotta get the loader out in a few and lift some stuff out of the way.  Not actually on the panels but in the way nonetheless.   The bowls should be OK.   A glass beading machine and some POR...like new?   The panels may be a little worse for the wear.   The headlight retaining ring for at least one light is visible....don't know about the other. 
Gonna need a bezel.  The dumpster has 6" of water in it and the bus parts were the first to go into the empty dumpster. 
BTW, I just got back from Lowes after buying a set of pipe plugs.... your experience makes one think.  Wink
HTH, JR

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:40:01 AM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »

As someone said earlier - you just experienced the Number 1 reason for owning a bus - It may have saved your life - good luck w/ rest of your trip and see you in Arcadia.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »

I dunno if this is double post....other one just disappeared..?    Whatever.
I found the LH panel and it is complete with lights, bezel and all.  Smiley The stainless ain't beautiful, but it may be better the yours.  Also have an empty bucket in the RH panel.  You should be good to go with these parts.   
Let me know and I'll bring an air powered rivet gun..if you wish to intall the panel in Fl.   
Sorry but don't have any SS rivets.  Do have gizmo to hold panels in place while you rivet them....if I can find it.   Huh
Let me know about the rivet gun. 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 01:59:21 PM »

Hey Craig, don't sweat the small stuff.  You were in a fine machine and your family was not injured.
A couple of deer were killed or injured and that's not a big deal.  Other than buses they have no natural predator other than man.  Just think of it as a survivor thing.

We'll see what we can do to straighten you out in Arcadia.  If we can't fix the metal we sure can make it feel better with a couple of brewskies and some comradrie.

It'll all work out.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »

HEY Bob!  Can I have one of those brewskies!  Terri's limiting my adult beverage consumption (she thinks) to only a couple cases over the week!?  Cry
I may be out wandering from party to party looking for life saving fluids (spelled Cronies!)!  Wink
Definitely will (if I don't have Gump's luck) see you at Arcadia!  Hope Jackie's doing well!
So as to not appear to be hijacking the thread, Craig, I have your parts in the bus and readly to go!  Got the rivet gun too...don't know if you want to fool with install, but at least you'll have the parts to repair the damage. 
The old rent-a-wreck fired right up today. Moved it up to the home, loaded and ready to go.  The block heater makes it start so fast that it's scary.   Nothing's leaking right now!?   Out'a here Wed AM.  Be down Wed PM if nothing breaks. 
Best, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Hobe

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 03:11:56 PM »

Hi If you make it to Fla. I have several that I have salvaged. We can get you on the road quick. Fred
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 03:45:21 PM »

I dunno if this is double post....other one just disappeared..?    Whatever.
I found the LH panel and it is complete with lights, bezel and all.  Smiley The stainless ain't beautiful, but it may be better the yours.  Also have an empty bucket in the RH panel.  You should be good to go with these parts.   
Let me know and I'll bring an air powered rivet gun..if you wish to intall the panel in Fl.   
Sorry but don't have any SS rivets.  Do have gizmo to hold panels in place while you rivet them....if I can find it.   Huh
Let me know about the rivet gun. 
Cheers, JR

Cool.  Sounds like that's about everything I need. How are the adjustment screws and their nuts?

I bought a low beam and was able to mount it in the hi beam can, but it's not going to be useful except for maybe keeping me from getting stopped because the plastic adjustment nuts are broke and they won't hold anything. So it's going to shine on the ground for now, but at least there will be a light on that side.

If you have room for the riveter, go ahead and bring it. If not, don't worry. I might be able to get some stainless rivets from IBP. Not sure how far they are away from Arcadia. If I can't find any, maybe  I can just put some temp pop rivets in till I get home.

I lost the left can and headlight ring. I thought the can was in there, but when I went to change it today, it was gone. I may have been there when I stopped, but I was so mad at myself I didn't think to check for it. It's not there now.

Fred, I'll probably stop by your place on the way out of FL, so if we don't get it all fixed up, maybe we can find anything else I need there. I'm planning on staying on in FL for a week or two after the rally. No rush to get home, as I'm in between jobs at the moment.

On a more pleasant note, we went to see the Warp Pioneer History Museum in Minden, NE today. I highly recommend it, but plan on spending 2 or more days there to see everything. We were there about 4 hours, and maybe saw 1/4 of it. We'll be going back in the summer. They have a deal where you can come back each consecutive day after buying an admission as long as you want, so you can take as many days as you want to see it, and only pay one admission. There's an RV park there, also. Prices about $24 for full hookup, or you can dry camp at the Archway museum in Kearney for free. I also recommend seeing that one. Takes about an hour for the headphone tour but there's other things outside to see, too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »

Already have the rivet gun and panels in the bus.  I have a $h#tload of aluminum rivets that would work...easy to drill back out.   I'll get a handful and bring'em. 
Try to stay out of harm's way dude!  I'm about out of space for spare parts!
See you in Arcadia, JR

BTW, I don't know about the adjusters...the LH is assembled.  They were working before I removed them.   They are off an 87 MC9...NJT stuff.  Definitely some corrosives in the air around there. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:17:18 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »

Hey Craig....
    I guess I should adjust somewhat those directions you gave me to set up my fuel filter???  Smiley Smiley Smiley
I hope the rest of your trip is safe and trouble-free.
              Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: