Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 01:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea on price to complete a bus.  (Read 1072 times)
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »

While I wanted to try to find a bus that was completely finished i have not been able to do so and have considered purchasing a
Eagle that has had the interior redone, except, except the holding tanks have not been installed, and the supply water has not been installed/
 Basically, all plumbing has been stubbed through the floor to the lower bays to be routed to the holding tanks bay.
 So I'm assuming
3 holding tanks
hot and cold water lines
water pumps for water supply
hot water heater
Bus also has need of a diesel generator and inverter and battereis etc.
 Anyone, from experience, have any realistic rough idea as to how much this will cost to have completed and amount of time that you would feel it would take to install this?
 Remember that your not nidding on this job,.. just an idea as to be able to figure a REAL number in as he mentions that the plumbing part should be around 1000,1500 to complete.
 Phil
 P.S.
 I want hold you to it if you are wrong,..

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
captain ron

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

A lot of factors, You can do the plumming end of it for way less than a thousand if you use an electric 2 gal hot water heater. tanks can be bought pretty cheap. look on ebay for tanks and acc. as for the inverter and batteries there are way too many choices to even try giving you a guestament. diesel gen at least $5000.00 I would think.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »

Way too many variabels to hazzard a guess! Do you want to salvage some tanks from an RV and band aide them in, or get custom made stainless, aluminum?? How big of a generator/inverter, sinewave pr modified sinewave? how many and what kind of batteries?  I've seen jobs like this done for $2K all the way up to Huh?? Why do you want to heat hot water? Grin 

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

Way too many variabels to hazzard a guess! Do you want to salvage some tanks from an RV and band aide them in, or get custom made stainless, aluminum?? How big of a generator/inverter, sinewave pr modified sinewave? how many and what kind of batteries? I've seen jobs like this done for $2K all the way up to Huh?? Why do you want to heat hot water? Grin

I meant to say "Pre-Hot Water Heater"
I probably would opt for some custom stainless or aluminium tanks made locally.

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 05:33:45 PM »

Where are you located? Fabrication of the tanks is not a problem if your close by nor is doing the plumbing. I was taught very well!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »

I'm in South MS as a few miles to the GulfCoast.
  Katrina damage and got to get on the road with the family to see something else besides this area before I start thinking this is normal.
  If I'm going to live in a third world country, it does not have to be MS.
 Phil

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »

Well if your ever in central Florida and you already have your bus and you need help, look me up! I can help you with the tanks and the plumbing. There is also a poly tank mfgr here pretty close if you want to go that route!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 05:52:01 PM »

Well if your ever in central Florida and you already have your bus and you need help, look me up! I can help you with the tanks and the plumbing. There is also a poly tank mfgr here pretty close if you want to go that route!

Ace
Thanks Ace,..
   I appreciate it,
 It's amazing how generous members have been on here.
Thanks to all!
 Phil

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »

I see where you state that the plumbing is stubbed thru the floor into the bays....is it too late to run your water supply lines inside the bus to the utility bay? The system wil be much easier to make "winterproof" if all the plumbing is in heated areas...and one bay. If your bays are insulated and heated, no problem...if not, could be a problem if you plan to use the coach in cold weather.
I agree with the other estimates...do you have LP? An RV 6 gal (10 gal is better) is easy to install and gives hot water in any environment sans electricity (other than a minute ignition 12 source). They are a little more expensive than the small 110V home heaters. Some locales don't sell the small 110V due to codes.
I did all my plumbing for less than $2K. Included 110 fresh, two 55 black and gray each (Inca poly tanks for $625 shipped), pex flex lines and RV shower, home style bath and kitchen faucets. Used LP hot water heater...it works on 110V too. Rarely use the 110V due to my limited 30 amp service. The recovery for an RV LP heater is so fast that it almost makes continuous hot water.
One thing I'd do a little different would have reduced the black tank and increased the gray tank size. We can fill a gray tank in hot weather...that's how I know the hot water heater works so well. We seem to find a good many places we go don't have sewer..but do have power and water. That's the reason I use a separate gray water tank...despite the negative attitudes to this habit, I'll lose gray water in a skinny minute. On the other hand, you can save money and space by using one holding tank. You know how you'll use the coach...if always in a campground, you almost don't need holding tanks....almost..you still gotta flush the pottie and wash your hands while travelling.
A diesel genset will be your best inverstment. Get a nice'un. Something made for RVs and preferably new. Of all the things you don't want trouble from, the genset is at the top of your list. Wrico, Onan, Powertech. Be sure and size the genset to your needs...you don't want it too big or too small. I use a 6.5 diesel and it works fine for my use...this would not be large enough for most conversions. It is very cheap to operate. You can expect to spend anywhere from $4K to $7K if you DIY install. Some generators can be right intensive to install and $10K wouldn't be unusual for a turn key 10 or 12K genset.
Good luck with your bus and Merry Christmas! JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 08:12:20 PM »

Again thanks to all for the great info,
 I think that all plumbing is stubbed through the floor as according to the owner, he did not know what bay he was going to use at the time and wanted to keep his options open. Did not think about the insulating part.
 Great advie and info on your Post JR.
 Phil

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: