Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 11:37:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP, Phil Lyons stuck on the road  (Read 4133 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: December 28, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »

Phil can't get the 6v92 restarted . The high temp and oil light are on but, temp is normal and oil is full.

The engine cranks then stalls out..

highway 20 west , 80 mi east of Avilene, TX

Call Phil's cell phone at  630-204-2868

Thanks All

Nick-
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 09:13:43 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:26:13 PM »

Thanks for the phone calls to Phil Lyons Members!

He's back up and running

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »

So what was it?  You can't keep us in suspense like that!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 04:57:17 AM »

Jim,

So far it sounds like a faulty hi temp sensor or a air pocket??

Not sure yet but, it restarted and he is under way.

Nick-

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »

Man, I just gotta chime in and say this board is the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No kiddin!!!!! This is the epitomy of fantastic- Wonderful, helpful people and the internet.

Ya just gotta love it,
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »

I totally agree Chaz. I probably would still  be in Palm Springs without the help of this BOARD!

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »

I'm feeling bad I did not see the help note until a day later, and the problem was fixed. I guess I need to have a "Hot button" that emails me when someone needs help.  This is a cool BB. Thanks to Phill and his friends that keep it going.
mak

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 07:09:56 AM »

Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay in response.  My Verizon Wireless has been giving me some trouble in connecting via the net.  

I really don't know what caused the problem.  The symptom was exactly the same as after we had the coolant flushed a couple of years ago and the mechanic didn't get rid of / bleed all the air pockets out of the system.  The bus warning lights came on, I had 2 -3 seconds to pull off the road before the engine died.  Wait 15 minutes.  The engine started right up.  

Same thing this time.  Except that when it died, we were on a steep grade.  Not much momentum to get off to the side of the road.  Almost got hit by a semi when we first pulled off.  He was riding part-way in the shoulder.  He swerved with his trailer barely missing the end of the bus.  Anyways, I put out the 3 triangles, etc,.  and called Nick.  It is sooo good to have such great friends through our network of busnuts.  

Oil level, coolant level, etc. all good.  New batteries.  Full of fuel.  Engine temp looked good.  

Any other suggestions would be deeply appreciated as it is really scary having the engine cut off like that.  Of course, if it was just an air pocket there is not much I can do about that I suppose.  We had all the coolant hoses replaced 1700 miles ago.  My next stop by the shop I'll have the sensors replaced.  

We are now safely in San Angelo visiting family.  All systems running fine.  Last 250 miles no problems.

Thanks again,  Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Moof

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 07:57:16 AM »

Phil,

We had a fire engine just quit on the way to a fire last Saturday.  It was going up a steep grade.  The engine temp was cold (just started a mile earlier).  The oil pressure was good.  We have a bypass switch for our auto-shut down devices.  The operator tripped that and brought it back to the station.  (The fire was put out by the next engine).  It is in the shop now.  Usually the mechanics can't dupicate the symptoms once at the shop.  We were lucky this time.  It did the same thing for the mechanic on flat ground too.

I'll talk to the mechanic this morning and give you an update.

Glad to hear you are safe and on the road again.

Dave T.
sommersed

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »

Well, I know that this is a long shot but this really happened to me.  My MC5A was cutting out frequently but powering back up within 10 to 15 seconds as a rule, and put me to the side of the road twice, but would restart after a short time.

Of course I thought of all the usual things that it could be, to no avail.

One day I was back there tightening the fan belt when I noticed the little chain hanging down from the oil fill cap on the rocker cover was just hanging there, the end was not attached anywhere! It was just long enough that it was interminably shorting out the engine by touching the over temp lead wire, and the couple of times that put me alongside the road it must have just hung up there longer.   

I attached it so it was out of the way, and wouldn't loose it if I forgot to put back on, and everything has been fine since.  stupid Huh?

Ed
Moof

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »

Phil,

I just talked to the mechanic who fixed our fire engine.  He found a faulty oil pressure sensor.  He said it was leaking as well.  Replaced it and we're back in business.  He also said that the coolant sensor was leaking, but still functioning.  Replaced it anyway.

Dave T.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 05:31:07 PM »

phil, I had all these little things shutting me down every now and again. I've driven truck all my life and the only times I ever needed a computer to shut me down I don't remember. I've never destroyed an engine yet. I took my coach to DD and they used the hand held to turn my computer shut down off. It took 5 min. smartest thing I've done. I still get a warning light and can read my codes. all I need is a warning light, then I will decide where I will pull over, not the ddec. I also have a lot more faith in my coach always comming home now and I really believe my unit runs better. while your at DD also have them set your droop for the full 150 rpm also as it gives you another 5 mph and you can pass without getting hung out. they have never charged me for using the hand held.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 05:15:40 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Well, the engine cut out 2 or 3 more times.    Once while idling in a parking lot after running for 45 minutes or so, another time on a turnpike. 

The only consistent thing I could see was that the bus did not cut out while the coach heater was off.  All the other 3 or 4 times it cut out, the coach heat was on.  Maybe something weird there with the coolant which flows through the MCI coach heat?

As I don't want to go through this again, I am taking the bus in to either DD or the "Vehicle Clinic" in Detroit (MAK advertiser). 

This is  a non-ddec, so I'm guessing no computer shut down - should have mentioned that before.  Smiley  No loose chains that I was able to spot - thanks Ed.  Dave, Thanks for the suggestion on the oil pressure sensor.  I'll see if I can check that out myself - I may have more questions on that.  Likewise for the coolant sensors.

Kind Regards to all - Phil

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 05:30:07 PM »

HAY Phil,

This may be too late, but before you go to the expense of taking it to DD or anywhere, (mainly because having someone find an intermittent problem can be very expensive and a lot unsatisfying in the results department.), try the ASE suggested test to find the problem.

It's called the wiggle test.

With the engine running, and all parameters as close to the same as when you had the problem earlier, grab a hand full of wires and wiggle, bend, jerk, pull and push on them. If the engine doesn't die, go on to a different bunch of wires and repeat. Do this until you eliminate all the wires. Now go back and do it again, trying smaller bunches of wires, especially close to any sending units or sensors.

You can also do this test at the drivers seat area.

Good Luck,
Dallas
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »

Not too late!  I will give that a shot.  Thanks Dallas.   Grin

Kind Regards, Phil

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: