Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:22:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo Upgrades  (Read 715 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2006, 10:03:59 AM »

Just to update you on my project, I had my 8V-71 turboed by Don Fairchild.  I took a chance on the radiator and air cleaner, and that proved to be for not.  Last Saturday, I pulled the radiator out- un plumbing the air to air intercooler and such.  Took about 2.5 hrs, not to bad.  Took it to Atlas radiator in Santa Fe Springs, Ca..  I already had a 5 row core with straight fins (the radiator was clean-not plugged at all).  I could either go to a 7 row core with straight fins, or go to a 6 row with serpentine fins (like most radiators use now).  Since Atlas said it would be the biggest increase in cooling (about 25% more) I went with the 6 row with serpentine fins.  Another $1900.00 worth. Reinstalled it yesterday, but haven't driven it yet.  If I still have heating issues on the long hill climbs, I'll just install misters.
Also, my restriction gauge on the air cleaner, with a clean element, registered 19 inches of restriction-to high.  I pulled apart the air cleaner and it has a 6" in and out diameter tube.  I've been on the Donaldson website, and looks like I need to go to a 7" in and out diameter.  I wonder what would happen if I just modified the air cleaner can from 6" to 7" in and out tubes?  If that would decrease my restriction, or have to go with a bigger element also?
Once I get the air cleaner done, will take it back to Don for the installation of the fuel modulator ($390.00) to keep the fuel rack from opening until turbo boost is up.  I already tried to drive it with a slow foot on the go pedal, but any deviation makes for a big cloud of black smoke.  So I'm having the fuel modulator installed since the whole reason for this turboing project was to eliminate the smoke in the first place.  Will let ya'll know what the out come is.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:22:59 PM »

tom, I haven't addresed the air cleaner issue on my engine yet. The DD engines I drove years ago, the ones that would run, all had 2 aircleaners on them. I haven't looked real close yet, but I have my eyes on a pair of the freightliner under the hood units. might use 2 Y pipes to put it togather so I can still pickup cool air from my exhisting duct. I wraped my exhaust side with a racing product when I threw the muffler and plan to wrap the cold side to as it really helped.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:52:47 PM »

After both going to the Donalson website and after measuring my air cleaner, Donaldson makes an air cleaner that is just about the same size as mine but with 7" in and out instead of 6".  It is rated up to 1600cfm at 10" restriction, so that should do the trick.  Should be fairly simple for the conversion since Don used 7" piping to the turbo with a 6" reducer.  Just have to modify the intake stack (it is built into the bus on the right side).  Will order the air cleaner tomorrow-it uses a conical element and is the G132000.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: