Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 04:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, we've got problems, broke down along I-75, mile marker 256, east Tampa  (Read 2956 times)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:01:22 AM »

You guys knew we wouldn't make it home without a story to tell. . . .yep, this is it. . . our hitch, the whole damn hitch came right off the bus and knocked a hole in our oil pan.  Anyone know of a good place to get a new oil pan (or repair ours) for a 1966 4107 on New Years day near Tampa?  Christy Hicks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:43:19 AM by Christyhicks » Logged

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Dreamscape

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »

Geeeezzzzz,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I kinda know how it feels....

Some one on this BB will be able to help I'm sure.....

Come on guys and gals, give it up!

Happy Trails, (Hopefull very soon)

Paul

Dreamscape
sivrtnge2

1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 08:14:43 AM »

I don't know of a place in Tampa... but if you go by anauto parts store and get some metal compound (its in a tube and you pinch off what you need, roll it until the two colors mix...usually black and white turns grey...then spread it over the hole.) to repair the hole long enough to det you where you can replace the pan. I have used it for oil pan holes and fuel tank holes. It works great!!!
I hope this helps
--
BILL
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

Christy,
we are still at Arcadia so we can't help, BUT, I met a man named John Silver at the Rally that is in the bus repair business.
His shop is in Lakeland, just north of where you are at.
his cell phone number is 863-255-1500
Another person you can call is JB's Custom Coach in Bushnell Fl.
352-303-2418 this number came from another bus nut here at the rally.

Hope this helps

JimCallaghan 4106
Wisconsin (now in warm Arcadia)

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:43:42 AM »

christy, I'd try to make a patch. If the pans not destroyed, pop rivet a piece of aluminum over the hole. use some silacone around the patch and let it dry before you put oil back in. Should get you out of immediate danger.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
WVObus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »

Christy,  Call me at 800-299-8126
John F.
WVObus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »

sorry...wrong number
800-299-8128
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »

A thousand apologies for not stopping earlier today.  I didn't recogize the situation.  We are about 50 miles north of your position.  We have a welder and tools if we can help. 

Although they are not open today a possible shop near you may be:

Florida Detroit diesel - allison
8411 adamo Dr.
Tampa Florida.
813 - 621 - 5651

If we can help my cell number is 727-808-0508

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »

Well, let me give you an update,

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you who did their best to help us out today and get us back on the road.  I'll take the time to do a complete post later  tonight, but I wanted to assure you that we are safely parked at Brenda's place, where we can pull the oil pan tomorrow and perform our repairs. 

As you all know, Busnuts are the greatest, and today was no exception to the rule.  Phones were ringing back and forth and the internet was on fire as we connected with each other back and forth to figure out the best course of action. What is amazing is that we had several different options available. . . did you read that right?? Yes, we had several different people that would have taken us in or helped us with our repairs or provided us with parts, you name, someone was offering to do it. 

Dallas and Jack and John and Ace and Brenda and Jim and Steven and JB and well, several other folks, people who I don't mean to leave out. . .they all did their best to help us.  I think we'll be fine, and I'll post the whole sad/funny story a little later tonight, as soon as I collect my thoughts and sharpen that pen.  Love you all, Christy Hicks

P.S.  Jack, I hold you personally responsible for our situation, as I know, I just KNOW it was you that was thinking, "Boy, I sure hope Christy has some more funny stories to tell us before she gets home!  ha ha

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »

A thousand apologies for not stopping earlier today.  I didn't recogize the situation.  We are about 50 miles north of your position.  We have a welder and tools if we can help.  Although they are not open today a possible shop near you may be.  Steven,

No problem Steve, I appreciate the offer but I think we've got it under control riight now.  Keep that weldor handy though, because there's always next year Wink Cheesy  Christy

skihor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »

If you opt for an epoxy repair, use Marine-Tex. Available at any boat shop and many other places. I have used it in a number of applications and it's the sh*t. I have even used it to repair a hole in a gas tank while the fuel was still leaking out!!!
Good luck!

Don & Sheila
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

Wish I had known, I could have swung back over that way and tried some 200 mph duct tape or something.

Doing those odd-job emergency repairs on the road is starting to become a common practice with me lately...
aka " The Flying Radiator repair using PowerGrab and a stick.. "

Christy,
 Let everyone know how things are going and if you still need help, There's probably 20 people
that could find their way there to help with whatever you need. I am about 100 miles NorthEast
but I would offer to load up the truck and come help if needed...

Dave.....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »

Umm, Christy,  What was that comment you made when I hit those deer the other night?

Did you do this just to best me and get the better story?

BTW, sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the rally. I'm still here with a few others. If there's something you need, let us know. I'm not hurrying back home, so could come help out if needed.

Craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »

Well, look at it from the bright side...you weren't in any hurry to get home!  Is the Cherokee OK?  Hope no other engine damage!   
I feel almost guilty now.    Cry  We ran back up to Georgia yesterday...no rain until 5 minutes after we threw out the anchor.  Spent a pleasant evening and morning with T's family and fired off to North Carolina just as the rain quit.
Nary a problem...other than the bus is sooo dirty.   Drove right behind the rain once into Ga yesterday and did the same today.   
Really sorry to hear of your "issues" ....Hope you get on to New Orleans soon! 
Sounds like you have about all the help anyone could wish for!  The only help I can offer (really more of a suggestion?) is maybe to sell Tempbus and get Bigbus on the road!  Tempbus has bad Karma!  Wink
We really enjoyed meeting you and Larry again! 
Best, JR and Terri

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 03:40:57 AM »

Both Jackie and I were crushed to hear of your plight but we felt confident that somehow someone from the Bus Cavalry would come to your aid...and knowing how resourceful both you and Larry can be I knew you'd both be OK.

There's always some good in whatever bad situations we find ourselves in...this might have happened farther our west where the wind and snow are blowing.  As bad as it might've looked it could have been worse...all are OK and you didn't blow an engine.

Looking forward to another bus tale........

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:14 AM »

Christy,

Hiow are things going on the repair?  Are you back on the road or do you need any assistance?

Craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 09:15:51 AM »

yes, we are up and going, thanks for your concern.  As soon as I have good internet, I'll post the whole story. . had it all writeen up the other night, hit "post" and the whole darn think went into NeverNeverLand.  Angry Christy

captain ron

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »

yes, we are up and going, thanks for your concern.  As soon as I have good internet, I'll post the whole story. . had it all writeen up the other night, hit "post" and the whole darn think went into NeverNeverLand.  Angry Christy

Thats why I always copy my post and paste it in MSW or just paste it in new blank post area if there very long at all cause I loose them like that also or think I lost them as in the "anniversary" post where I actually posted it 3 times.
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 05:50:46 PM »

It was nice to meet you in Arcadia.  Sorry you had a problem, have been able over come it.  I'll have a story to tell also when I get home.  I left Arcadia Monday and tonight we are camping  at the Comfort Inn in Fort Pierce.  We hope to head North tomorow.  I wish you the best on the balance of your trip.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »

Ummmm....Art, what's up with the Eagle?  Now we have two stories to hear about...yours and Christy's!   Shocked
I trust it isn't too bad?
JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »

christy, I'd try to make a patch. If the pans not destroyed, pop rivet a piece of aluminum over the hole. use some silacone around the patch and let it dry before you put oil back in. Should get you out of immediate danger.
Better to smear some JB Weld on the inside.  Hot oil will loosen silicone's adhesion to metal pretty fast -- but as long as you stay under 400 degrees, NOTHING will remove JB Weld!!!!!!!!!!!

John E. Smith
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: