Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 04:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a Power tech generator  (Read 1648 times)
flynbanjo

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »

I am just beginning the process of installing a 12KW power-tech generator in our MC-9.  The installation template that came with the unit called for 5 rather large holes to be cut in the floor of the bay.  I am not planning on cutting any of the floor supports but that means I can't cut the holes as big as they suggest.  At the risk of sounding foolish, how critical is the size of the gen/radiator exhaust air holes?

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »

At the risk of sounding arrogant, how critical is the loss of your investment $$$?

The holes are there to bring in air to cool you genset. If you undersize them, you risk overheating and damaging your unit, and it won't be covered by warranty if you didn't install it properly.

I'm not familiar with their terminology, but I suspect they are specifying a specific area of vent required, not specific dimensions of the hole. For instance, they would say 60 sq inches, rather than 10 in x 6 in. In this case, you could cut several holes, as long as the total meets or exceeds 60 sq inches.

If they say to put a certain area of cooling in, I personally think you should follow their suggestion. After all, they're the ones with the engineers that decided you need that amount of air. It wasn't the marketing guys (they'd have said to use less so they could sell you another one after burning up the first one).

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »

Point well taken

Thanks

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
captain ron

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »

Are you keeping your bus air conditioning? if not is there room in that compartment for the genset? There is already a big hole in the floor for the fan and the expanded metal grill also provides air. just a thought
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 09:29:10 PM »

Steven,

On my Honda fully enclosed water cooled gen the bottom holes are for heat exhaust and are critical. The cooling air intake is at the top of the enclosure.

Yours may be different but it will pay you to make sure.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:25:22 AM »

Is this generator in a Power Tech "Sound Box"?  If it is, the holes in the compartment floor have to match the holes in the bottom of the sound box. Changing the length and/or width will not work becouse the opening you cut will not match the opening in the floor of the generator compartment. Hope this helps, Jack
PS: This is why we purchased our Power Tech generator without a sound box. We then made our own sound reduction compartment around the generator

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »

What Jack said is very true.  I purchased my 10kw Powertech before they even offered sound enclosures.  Since I have a transit, I also had to create a mounting place for the generator which is besides the drivers seat like a front engine.  The gen was installed through the front door and is accessed from the inside.  Not the best, but works and is resonably quiet (always can be quieter).  The compartment was so tight that I had to remote mount the radiator with a 1/2hp two speed squirrel cage blower (high speed during the day and low for night time quiet use).  Also set up a bathroom blower that can take moisture to push fresh air through the compartment.  The air cleaner is also remote mounted outside.  If I ever do another conversion I will only buy a bare genset to make my own sound enclosure.  I have heard both factory sound enclosures and home built enclosures and can say that the home built enclosures are almost always quieter.  Ask Dick Wright at Wrico International for some advice.  Personally, I'd take the unit out of the enclosure and create your own sound enclosure.  Then you don't need those big floor openings- that let noise out anyway!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »

Many thanks to all for the advice. 

Since it appears that the size of the openings are important.  Some folks that I spoke with are advocating cutting the ribs that run length wise from front to back.  Now the question is; Has anyone done this.  MCI suggest that the main point of these ribs is to give strength to the baggage floor and to provide stability to the coach.  Others say bolting the generator to the floor will do the same thing. 

Thanks

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »

I just realized that I failed to metion that the generator is in its own quiet box

Thanks

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »

I wouldn't cut those floor supports.  That genset is heavy and those supports will keep it off the pavement.  I have the same genset in an MC9.  I had to position the genset so all the holes could be cut without cutting anything structural. 

Ross

PS...You won't be calling it a "quiet box" after you hear it run.  Unless they've made some improvements, it's one of the loudest gensets I've heard.  It's all cooling blower noise.

flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:12:07 PM »

Ross,

I would rather not cut the floor supports. A question about your installation; Did you cut the holes as big as power tech recommends? 

Thanks

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »

Yeah, I definitely would not be cutting those ribs.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »

I cut them to the template.  The only hole I couldn't get was the one for the oil drain.  I attach a hose to the drain and suck the oil out rather than letting it gravity drain.  The cooling holes are important.  The drain hole is just a convenience.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: