Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 05:18:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will a Series 60 from a truck fit a coach?  (Read 2703 times)
belfert

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »

I'm replying to the last two emails here:

I would only buy a spare engine if I found one for a really good price.  Like I said, I'm not actively looking for one.  If I did get one, I would probably rebuild it at some point and put it in place of mine.

I think Tom C. brought up the idea of rebuilding the engine as he suggested it isn't that hard.  I don't have any intentions to rebuild my engine any time soon.  I probably should pull the engine and replace all the external gaskets and seals like the oil filter adapter, oil cooler, and water pump along with anything else I see.

I was too concerned about the engine until recently.  I'm developing a new external leak on the engine almost every time I drive it now days.  Also, I smelled a strong burning smell from somewhere back in the engine area after my last drive.  I was dropping the bus off for windshields at C&J Bus Repair so I didn't investigate it too much.  Gauges looked good, but I'm guessing a belt is bad or something. 

I want to drive the bus, but I also don't want to be 1,000 miles from home and have a leak ruin the trip.  I want to be proactive and fix this stuff before it gets worse.

Brian Ellfert
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 07:29:03 AM »

Tom has given you really good advice.  That S60 will run forever.  If you want to spend some money on it then it sounds like some cosmetic gasket replacement would be an option.  If you REALLY want to spend some money then you could consider a bearing roll-in.  Other than that, absent some serious indication that the engine is sick, there doesn't appear to be any good reason to replace it.  Pull an oil sample and have it analysed - that will tell you right away if there is any serious internal wear happening.  It will also confirm whether you are losing any coolant into the crankcase. 

At some point you may just have to tell yourself "its a diesel engine.  Its going to get dirty.  So wash it once in a while"

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »

Rebuilts are available in the truck series from about $10k and up, from nationally advertized rebuilders, up to the most expensive = Detroit Diesel. 

I pulled a 375/400 hp out of a '93 Freightliner that I bought for $5k - sold the 8V for $3.5k.  It had about 500k miles - low for that engine.  It was a DDEC II.  I have put on a new bus oil pan, bus intake, two piece rocker cover, bus oil pick-up, all new seals, gaskets, upgraded to 500hp (cam, injectors, bull gear, DDEC IV ECM, etc.) as well as new main and rod bearings, Relibuilt water pump, air compressor, fuel pump, DDEC IV sensors, etc.  Got a lot off eBay for less than dealer.  I love to do that kind of work, it wasn't hard (dirty and heavy, yes), but for example to install the crank seals takes a $650 tool that no one loans or rents and I ended up buying it new from DD and selling on eBay for $550, so didn't save so much there. My time isn't saleable, my pride in ownership and craftsmanship is what I enjoy.  Figuring the cost to purchase and all the parts and pieces, I've well over $10k invested.

And I didn't list all the parts to adapt to the B500 plus little parts - if you do it, good luck!

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: