Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 08:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: defroster for upper windshields  (Read 1833 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »

This question particularly applies to Ace, Deb and Dave, Bill340 and any others that have coaches with big windshields.

Did you keep the defroster for the upper windshields?  I am at a point where I am trying to design my upper front cabinets, and it appears that the defroster takes up quite a bit of room, and I am hard pressed to think of why I need it.  I live in San Diego, and have almost never used them here, but cold country, or damp country or both, I can see where they might be useful if i wanted to look out the upper fronts (which I probably do not).

I just want to make sure I don't need them before I rip them out.  I guess the same goes for the upper windshield wipers too.  So far I only use them as handy replacement blades for the main ones.

Thanks,

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

Hi Jim,

I would hate to see you cover up thoose beautiful H3 upper windows with cabinets.

It's nice to be able to view out from the salon or kitchen, I know, you need the room.

Oh well, I'm sure you'll make a good decision!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

The main reason I bought my H3 was the view.  In our case nothing will shield the view.  Even our TV is backward - mounted on the bath wall facing front.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »

Nick,

I do not plan to cover them up All those windows are great, especially when parked in a pretty spot!  The orginal luggage rack came down several inches "in front" of the windshields, but its not very noticeable, especially when sitting down.  I plan to do about the same with the rest of the cabinets that will go across the front. Just enough to make them a useful size.  I also plan on putting a flat screen TV there, and the closer I can get it to the windshields, the easier it will be to walk in and out of the coach without running into it.  A BIG TV if I can fit one.  

Yes, I do like to look out all those windows too.  I am looking to move those really handy eletric blinds closer to the front.  On the left and right sides, there is about 8 or 9 inches of extra room I could put to use if there is not a need for the upper defrosters.

There is actually some space above the windshields as well.  

thanks,

Awesome, Nick-
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 07:40:25 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:36:44 PM »

Deb and Dave,

Do you use the upper defroster?  could you do without it?

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:41:20 PM »

and yes, the TV will tilt up or the screen will roll up out of the way when not in use, again to not spoil that great view!

Now, how about those defrosters?

Jim Stewart

DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:15 PM »

Jim,

I am leaving both fans.  The only thing up front is new power shades - also used for visors when driving.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:50:39 AM »

I am going to have to take an opposing view on windshield size.
Although my 80 Eagle did not have the extra large windshields being discussed, they were still too tall for me.

First, the only thing they did was let the hot sun in on me for a larger part of the day,  while traveling east in the morning or west in the afternoon. I did cover the top 10 inches or so with a dark green tinted plastic windshield sun blocker that helped some.

In 99% of the time all the extra windshield does is allow you to see more sky. And if you are driving you need to be watching the road, not sightseeing or looking for that Rocky Mountain Goat on the top of the mountain peak.

When parked I generally found that I used the lounge windows much more than the windshield for looking out.

I do admit that the monster windshields look really cool, but I also know that they are very hot  when sitting behind one.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: