Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 07:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY PVC water tanks  (Read 1169 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »

Guys,

A while ago I read a lot about making your own custom sized holding tanks.  I can't see any other way but the material is in question.  I want to use PVC because I think it can be glued together with a "welding" cement and it is or was cheap.  I recall that the black PVC was cheap but not suitable for holding fresh water and the white stuff was suitable for fresh water.  I don't recall the specifics of the unsuitability of the black.  Is it sooooo bad that I can't even use it for washing dishes?  I will be carrying fresh in a ten gallon tank for drinking and boiling vegies and that will have a seperate spigot in the kitchen.

Maybe someone knows who the Mfr of PVC is and what their web location is.

Any reasons I shouldn't use this approach?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »

John,
      Either ABS or PVC could potentially be 'glued' to make tanks.  For fresh water tanks it's important to get 'food grade' material.  Polypropylene must be welded but it is the most economical food grade material with desirable physical properties such as impact strength.  Learning to do the hot air welding takes a day or so but it can easily be mastered. Craig shepard has an excellent discussion of building tanks at. http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Plumbing/Holding_Tank_Fabrication/holding_tank_fabrication.htm
I built 4 tanks following (sort of) these instructions.  I have two fresh water  tanks totaling 180 gallons, a waste tank at 220 gallons and a coolant tank for my Webasto at about 5 gallons.  Email me off board if you choose welded tank construction.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:10:03 AM »

George Lowry also did an excellent article about this:
http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/george.htm

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: