Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:40:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: straight pipes  (Read 4770 times)
berzins

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »

looking for opinions  on running straight pipes on an 8/71. bless me with mechanical facts. Thanks 
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:40:11 PM »

2 friends have MC-7s with 8V71s with dual vertical pipes on the rear of the bus.
   One has a small resonator on each. This bus is extremely loud when under a load and always louder than I would want.
    The other one is dual straights stacks with no resonators or mufflers. This bus is OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!!. He started it at a bus rally to show someone his new "cool" exhaust system. We could not carry on a conversation inside another bus parked approx. 75-100 feet away.  If he had revved it up one more time, he would have probably been threatened with bodily harm by several people parked near his bus. This is the type of behavior that what gives busnuts a bad name.  Jack 
   PS: Quieter is Better

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 03:27:40 PM »

I'm glad you started this Jack because I wanted to say the same thing.  We've got an unmuffled 6-71 in a big forklift.  When they are using it in the summer I can hear it scream a mile away.  2 stroke Detroits need mufflers.  End of story.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:52:56 PM »

I had an old Reo I cut the mufflers off of & drove it about 6 months. I didn't care what anyone said because I COULDN'T HEAR ANYBODY TALKING.... (say WHAT?..... WHATDIDCHA SAAAAAY?Huh? Speak UP son... I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!) DDs need mufflers. You can get by with the turboed versions but they are still loud.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:44:03 PM »

Personally speaking-there is no such thing as a too quiet vehicle.  Plus, a Detroit makes a lot of engine noise-which is good music! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
captain ron

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »

LOUD pipes save lives  Grin
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:44 AM »

I'm young enough to appreciate loud pipes and old enough to want quiet. Tough spot!  ;)LOLOL
I put cutouts in my exhaust on my '56 Chevy so if I want to tease people at a show or give the "kids" a kick, I can open them up for them inside the car. Ya might want to think about that!
  But I would say - without a doubt - quiet would be my first choice.

I seen a coach or two with "tasteful" stacks out the back. That interests me. Do any of you think there is an advantage to getting the exhaust up and away from others on the ground???

Last of the babyboomers,
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
berzins

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:51:16 AM »

Thanks for all the responses,changed my mind quickley!!!!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 07:06:22 AM »

You can get by with the turboed versions but they are still loud.
When I first had the 8V92TA put in my Eagle it just had a straight pipe. It sounded great, especially when I turned the Jakes on., but I had to add a muffler after a few weeks. It was just toooooo loud.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »

LOUD pipes save lives Grin

Interesting thought, but I don't hear the loud stuff coming, I only hear it leaving.

& another thing, If you are sitting on the loud pipe machine, you can't hear danger coming (my car is quiet  Grin ).

I used to like loud until I grew up  Grin

It seemed to me that the faster & classier bikes & cars at the drag strip usually had mellow tone pipes. Mine did & always drew a crowd of admirers, not bad for a '82 cutlass that was all there down to the A/C & street tires (7.20 @100mph in 1/8 mile).

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »

That MPH seems a little high for that car and 1/8 mile   Roll Eyes  But I could be wrong  Grin  It's been years since I've raced specially  1/8 mile
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:54:14 AM »

That MPH seems a little high for that car and 1/8 mile Roll Eyes But I could be wrong Grin It's been years since I've raced specially 1/8 mile

You are right, that was a very quick car. I had a stack of time slips over 2" tall of 7.20 passes. After a while, you get used to it & you start doing stupid stuff on the street (like racing motorcycles, new vette's & those german sports cars). So I sold it before I lost my D.L. or life.

Was fun for a while. . .

(455, bal & blueprinted & HUGE amounts of NOx)

Oh, the rear gear was 2.7 to 3.3   The car didn't like too much & would slow down with more than 3.3
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:56:58 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »

Loud pipes saves lives if on a motorcycle as most people don't see a motorcycle and if they do they tend to ignore them.  I have loud pipes on my Harley and very quite pipes on everything else.
Please watch out for motorcycles as most of us are decent people.
LOL
ED
MCI 7 & 1995 Harley full dress custom touring.

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »

Like I said before, I only hear the loud pipes as the bike is leaving, NOT approaching, so how does that save any lives? That combined with the fact the bike rider with loud pipes can't hear danger approaching leads me to believe the claim 'loud pipes save lives' is bogus, made up by people wanting to make lots of noise. Is there any good proof that I'm wrong? The constant on headlight is starting to loose its efectiveness now that everyone has their lights on. But the light is still better than noise.

Those loud pipes are really annoying. Do you really think it is a good idea to annoy idiots that can't drive well to start with?

I do watch out for bikes. What I notice is that most bike riders obey the laws & set great examples for highway courtesy.

I have also noticed the rogue idiot that lane splits, rides in the blind spot of cars/ trucks, & overtakes traffic with alarming speed. It is this idiot that is so easy to remember & thereby leaves a bad image for all bike riders.

This from one who loves most of the racket music a piston engine makes.

edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 12:17:54 PM »

Kyle:
Funny I can hear the loud pipes comming as well as going.  You are right also that, as in all instances, there are a few idiots that leave a bad taste in everyones mind, be it bikes, cars, trucks, boats, big trucks,  and yes even buses.  Thanks for watching out for bikes.  Yes it is proven, can not qute the statiscits but loud pipes do save lives on bikes.  I can hear a bike before I can see it most times and some of the quiter bikes sneak up on me.  Lets face it bikes are realitive small in comparison to cars and trucks.
Lets all drive safe and therefore be safe.
Thanks
ED
MCI 7 & Harley

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: