Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 05:38:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: replacement needed for generator on 671 detroit diesel  (Read 3836 times)
rag71011

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »

I have a converted GM 4101 coach with the original 671 diesel and gear driven generator.  My generator has a shorted field coil so I was thinking of switching to a high capacity alternator to charge the bus batteries and provide power for over-the-road a/c.  Does anyone know of a source for an alternator that would work for this purpose?  I would like to find one that can be gear driven like my existing generator rather than belt driven, if possible. 
Thanks for your help.
Bob Green
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »

Bob, Look for a 50DN oil cooled, gear driven alternator.

But..... the bad news is that they are REALLY Expensive. I think I've seen used ones for around $800, but I'm not sure.

Why not just have your generator rewound and rebuilt?

Or, you could do it yourself, it isn't a real hard job.

IHTH,
Dallas

dave870

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

Nimcobus.com should have a working takeout for $300
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »

Remove the original monster, add a pulley onto the drive from the engine and mount a truck alternator just to the rear of the pulley.

My 160 amp alt is set up this way and probably weighs 1/6 as much as the original while generating at low rpm. It is more amps than I will ever need.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:30:58 AM »

Remove the original monster, add a pulley onto the drive from the engine and mount a truck alternator just to the rear of the pulley.

My 160 amp alt is set up this way and probably weighs 1/6 as much as the original while generating at low rpm. It is more amps than I will ever need.

Could you post some photos of your set-up.
How the pulley is mounted the size of the pulley and such would be helpful.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: