Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Cable, Where to buy?  (Read 2245 times)
Dreamscape

« on: January 08, 2007, 05:22:25 AM »

I have looked up the web page for Morse Cable, not coming up. I see lots of stuff for boats on google search. I would like to find out where to go for design and purchase.

For throttle cable on our Eagle 01, 8v71, four speed manual.

Anyone with information for the Abilene Texas area would be helpful.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:42:05 AM »

Paul, I dealt with The Parts House INC. in IL.  At 309-343-0146 for a shifter cable and parts for my Ebay shifter that would not work with a 740.  Not sure  if they make smaller cables also. They are good to deal with.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
dickegler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »

Hi Paul,

I have used this company for other items, but they list cables.

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/UserFiles/File/accelerator_and_utility_cables.pdf

Hope it  helps!

dick egler

dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:54 PM »

Several Eagles and GMs that I looked at in Arcadia used Morse 3300 or 33C style cables for throttle control.  A pix of Sonny Gray's Eagle/Cat throttle linkage shows one in this months "BC" Mag.  They are the same as marine 33C.   They can be bought at any marine outlet.  Length must be specified....and probably special ordered.  If the cable has a notch that retains the housing, and a threaded end with whatever termination your bus uses, and a red jacket, it is probably a 33C.   Black or grey housing could be 3300.  Others make identical cables also...Teleflex for one.   Teleflex may have bought out Morse?  No matter. 
If you have the cable removed, take it to a Marine Dealer (just for giggles 'cause you won't want to pay their prices) and compare it to a marine style Morse 3300 or 33C.   West Marine stocks up to 40' in two foot increments.   
Post a picture of your cable ends and we can SWAG what it is.  Smiley  These cables are measured from tip to tip and rounded up to the next foot.   You should be able to locate a direct fit cable.   Has your cable been removed from the bus?  Cool.  Now how long is it?
A Morse 3300 and 33C have indentical ends.  Other Morse marine cables will not work due to the proprietary ends on the control box and motor end.   3300 and 33C are "universal" marine cables.  The 33C Supreme is a great cable. 
JR
BTW, This is a little OT, but I must add that Sonny Gray's Cat engine conversion and rear suspension mods are fine bits of work!   His bus is the Centerfold for Jan BC...must read!  Smiley

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »

I have looked up the web page for Morse Cable, not coming up. I see lots of stuff for boats on google search. I would like to find out where to go for design and purchase.

For throttle cable on our Eagle 01, 8v71, four speed manual.

Anyone with information for the Abilene Texas area would be helpful.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Here you go:
http://www.teleflexmorse.com/

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:26:10 AM »

NJT5047, I currently have a stock linkage system. I would like to switch over to cable. So therefore I do not know exactly how the linkage should fasten at both ends. I will search the marine sites. I thought Sonny's was an air throttle, probably the same type of connections though. Thanks.

Richard, the link you posted is the same one I have tried. It does not work for me. If you are able to pull it up then I have some settings on my puter that are wrong.

I will continue to do more research.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 05:28:51 AM »

Paul,
The link worked for me with no problems.

Here is a link directly to the cable product page:

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/CableControls.html
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:32:38 AM »

Richard, the link you posted is the same one I have tried. It does not work for me. If you are able to pull it up then I have some settings on my puter that are wrong.
I will continue to do more research.
Happy Trails,
Paul
Dreamscape
Paul, I think you definitely have something wrong with your system. I tried it last night and now again this morning and it works perfectly and actually brings up a full page picture of a bus!
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »

Paul,
  As another option, have you considered an air throttle?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
lblampman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »

Several Eagles and GMs that I looked at in Arcadia used Morse 3300 or 33C style cables for throttle control.  A pix of Sonny Gray's Eagle/Cat throttle linkage shows one in this months "BC" Mag.  They are the same as marine 33C.   They can be bought at any marine outlet.  Length must be specified....and probably special ordered.  If the cable has a notch that retains the housing, and a threaded end with whatever termination your bus uses, and a red jacket, it is probably a 33C.   Black or grey housing could be 3300.  Others make identical cables also...Teleflex for one.   Teleflex may have bought out Morse?  No matter. 
If you have the cable removed, take it to a Marine Dealer (just for giggles 'cause you won't want to pay their prices) and compare it to a marine style Morse 3300 or 33C.   West Marine stocks up to 40' in two foot increments.   
Post a picture of your cable ends and we can SWAG what it is.  Smiley  These cables are measured from tip to tip and rounded up to the next foot.   You should be able to locate a direct fit cable.   Has your cable been removed from the bus?  Cool.  Now how long is it?
A Morse 3300 and 33C have indentical ends.  Other Morse marine cables will not work due to the proprietary ends on the control box and motor end.   3300 and 33C are "universal" marine cables.  The 33C Supreme is a great cable. 
JR
BTW, This is a little OT, but I must add that Sonny Gray's Cat engine conversion and rear suspension mods are fine bits of work!   His bus is the Centerfold for Jan BC...must read!  Smiley

I'm a partner in a boat dealership and started way back when in the shop. I purchase my Teleflex cables through Honda Marine at a price lower than our Teleflex distributor can buy them for (Honda buys a bunch!).  Except for volume pricing I don't know of any reason why a marine store would be any more expensive than an equipment store selling the same cable.  None of us "little gus" can compete with Internet pricing; just a fact of life.

Teleflex did buy Morse.

The 33C Supreme is a good basic cable but it was only "supreme" about 25 or 30 years ago; technology has moved on and left it behind.  The Teleflex TFXtreme is a much better cable.  The OEM cables we now get from Honda Marine are from Hi-Lux; they put any of the Teleflex cable to shame but they're harder to find (I think they're mostly an OEM supplier).

The smoothest throttle system (if you're doing cable) would be a pull-pull system.  It takes two cables run in parallel, when you move the throttle you're either pulling on the "go" side or the "whoa" side and never trying to push a cable.  The pull-pull system has almost no friction to it compared to a push-pull system.  The engine end is easy, there are a ton of components available to adapt to almost anything and essentially you just need a bellcrank there with a cable on either side (one pull-to-open, the other pull-to-close).  I'm not sure about the throttle pedal end, you might check the Internet for some high-end boat foot throttles as they may be set up for pull-pull.  We do cruising boats so foot throttles aren't something we deal with.  You need to convert the up-and-down motion of the pedal to the rotary motion needed to pull on one cable or the other.  In its simplest form it just takes a lever arm on a rotating wheel with the cables connected to opposite sides.

I have an air throttle on my Cat 3208; I'm not very happy with it at the moment due to lag and surging.  I don't know if the issues are from the throttle system or the engine yet (haven't had time yet to chase it down) so if anyone has any suggestions about fine tuning the air throttle or the 3208 I'd love to have them.

All the best...

Les Lampman
Whidbey Island, WA
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »

I thought Sonny's was an air throttle, probably the same type of connections though. Thanks.
Dreamscape

Sonny may have an air throttle, but he has a trans modulator cable or something that uses a Morse style cable in the mag layout that shows how a Morse cable hooks up.  You can attach a Morse cable to anything.   As long as the cable isn't bound up by curves with less than about a foot radius, it'll be easy to operate...Les describes something I'm not familiar with...a pull-pull system.  Cool idea as long as you can work out the throttle actuator in front.   
You'll have to accurately figure out how long the run is from the accel pedal to the engine linkage before moving forward.   A foot too much is a pain to work with, and a foot too little... just won't work at all.
An air throttle seems like an easy fix for an automatic, dunno about a manual?  Have you thought about installing an automatic?   Wink
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 05:32:45 AM »

I have an air throttle on my Cat 3208; I'm not very happy with it at the moment due to lag and surging.  I don't know if the issues are from the throttle system or the engine yet (haven't had time yet to chase it down) so if anyone has any suggestions about fine tuning the air throttle or the 3208 I'd love to have them.

Just a suggestion,  install a pressure regulator in the supply line to the air throttle and try different pressures. On our MC-8/8V71, we found 50PSI worked the best. Higher pressure made the response to sensitive and lower pressure gave us too much lag and more surge.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
lblampman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:02:56 AM »

Just a suggestion,  install a pressure regulator in the supply line to the air throttle and try different pressures. On our MC-8/8V71, we found 50PSI worked the best. Higher pressure made the response to sensitive and lower pressure gave us too much lag and more surge.  Hope this helps, Jack

Thanks Jack,  I'll give that a try.

Les Lampman
Whidbey Island, WA
Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »

Sorry, my computer was sick, I'm at the library.

All very good responses to the question regarding Morse Cable.

Richard, I was able to access the Teleflex site. Lots of good information.

Jack, I thought of an air throttle initially, untill I have heard of some issues regarding performance. I still may go that way, just trying to cover the bases.

JR, Yes I have thought about an automatic mating to the 8v71. Maybe somewhere down the road I will want to do that.

Right now I would just like to have a more responsive throttle, period.

Has anybody done this on a Detroit 8v71 with 4 speed manual? Either air or cable.

Paul

Dreamscape
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »

I had an air throttle on a 8V71 on both a 4 speed stick and a 740 Allison. I was very happy with the Allison set-up and not so with the stick. The easiest way I can put is that you have no tactile response with an air throttle. Doing a stick shift, you co-ordinate your feet and hand. With an air throttle, you don't know what the governor is doing when you push on the pedal like you do when there is a physical connection between your foot and the governor. YMMV.
Dreamscape

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »

That is the same concern I have. Not being able to "feel" the repsponse.

Maybe more help will come with this topic.

Thanks,

Paul

Dreamscape
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 03:04:33 PM »

Paul, I would definitely recommend against an air throttle for a stick shift tranny. I tried one vehicle that had air and manual and I never could get the shifts proper. And I have been double clutching since the 40's so I really think I know how to do it. LOL
Richarc

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »

Paul,  back when I was driving/instructing on 4905's, GM changed from cable to air throttle.  The two coaches purchased the first year were virtually impossible to shift.  When I was instructing, I made sure to never use those two coaches - if I couldn't shift them, I certainly couldn't try to teach others to do so.

Never quite understood why, but it seemed to be the engine losing RPM's too rapidly.  Air throttles on later year coaches were better, but they didn't have the feel available through the cable throttle.  Based on my experience, I would not consider putting an air throttle on our 4107.  As much as I'd like to ease the pressure (sore leg) from the throttle return spring, I wouldn't want to be unable to shift my own bus.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Dreamscape

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 07:11:39 AM »

OK, cable or rebuild the linkage is what I will do. I do appreciate all the help from everyone!

Now on with the show.

Thanks again,

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: