Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 05:37:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with roadside assistance and a flat tire  (Read 7140 times)
belfert

« on: April 24, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »

I went out to move my bus this evening and one of the tag tires is flat.  I called roadside assistance to have someone sent out to change it.

They called me back an hour later and said they called four places and couldn't find anyone to change the tire due to the 43 foot length of the motorhome.  They said to call back in the morning and I asked what if I was stuck on the side of the road and not in my backyard?  They said they would send out a tow truck instead.

I think they just didn't want to pay for someone to fix it this evening.  There have to be places that could change a tire on a 45 foot charter bus after hours.

I have only had the bus for two weeks and I don't have any tools to change a tire yet.

Brian Elfert
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »

Brian,

My question is what does the length of the vehicle have to do with changing a tire? Huh

Sounds to me like they were searching for an excuse.

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

That is why I think they are just making up an excuse.  They did ask for the length of the motorhome when I first called.  I think it is a standard question.

How would they tow a bus with a flat tire on the tag?  Can the lift the back of the bus instead of the front?

Brian Elfert
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »

Hey Brian! You were getting the run around as I've yet to have had a problem finding a service truck to change a tire on our buses. I have paid some outragous prices in the middle of the night but there is always a service truck available somewhere at some price! Also never ever let anyone try to tow yer bus from the rear unless you want a 43' U shaped piece of scrap for the kids to play in in the back yard! I've been around tow trucks all my life and buses for 10 yrs and have yet to see anyone successfully tow one from the rear without tearing something up!  Smiley Cheesy Cool Busted Knuckle  Smiley Cheesy Cool

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »

I went out to move my bus this evening and one of the tag tires is flat.  I called roadside assistance to have someone sent out to change it.

They called me back an hour later and said they called four places and couldn't find anyone to change the tire due to the 43 foot length of the motorhome.  They said to call back in the morning and I asked what if I was stuck on the side of the road and not in my backyard?  They said they would send out a tow truck instead.

I think they just didn't want to pay for someone to fix it this evening.  There have to be places that could change a tire on a 45 foot charter bus after hours.

I have only had the bus for two weeks and I don't have any tools to change a tire yet.

Brian Elfert

Brian, do you have Roadside assistance with a company that does RVs, like Good Sam,   Or is it more of  car service provider?  It does sound like the "round-around" to me as well.   I wonder if this "roadside assistance" would even have the tools to change that tire.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:42 PM »

The easy way to have the tire changed is call the nearest grey hound station and ask who they use. done that more than once. works great...
DrDave

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »

99% of the ( stinger ) wheel lifts will not reach under the back of a bus. They won't reach without extreme frustration
to the frobt tires either. ( frustration meaning the price goes up if the guy has to get out the 450 lb extensions.)

Brian, buy an air compressor like one of the dewalt minis that does 150 psi. or rig up an air hookup to the bus so that you can get air in a tire that leaks down.

I don't know what kind of road service you have but sounds like they have no concept of how to get things done.

Call your local truck tire place, Like a goodyear, firestone or independent dealer. they all have roadside service and most only have roadside even in thier own backyards. all on a pickup truck...

And, Not to burst your bubble, But... Now that you own a bus... You will need to learn how to get stuff done and not call some weenie who doesn't have a clue asking for help. I take my bus to have tires fixed, Or have the truck come to me for the extra $25.00 charge. Is $25 to $100 extra worth killing yourself over?

Not meant to be rude, sorry.... Grin
bruceknee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:33:29 AM »

1-800- TIRE NET

24 hr. tire service, nationwide, quick response, file it in your memory bank
El-Sonador

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:08:48 AM »

Hey Brian...

Could you tell us who you called, was it just a local shop or are you on a service plan with AAA or Good Sam etc?

Steve

belfert

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »

I have Camping World Roadcare.  I was going to do Good Sam, but I couldn't get their web site to load the day I was signing up.  They are both owned by the same company and probably share the same call center.

I do have a nice true 3HP air compressor that I need to get hooked up.  I should probably do that this week.

I have some phone numbers to get a tire service truck out, but I fgured I might as well have roadside assistance pay for the tire change and then I could take the tire up to get looked at today.

Brian Elfert
belfert

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 05:55:09 AM »

This is getting more ridiculous.  Camping World Roadcare dispatched a local tire dealer that does car and light truck tires.  I called up there and they asked me if I had a jack and what size the lugs are.  I don't think they realize what size vehicle they are dealing with.

I'm probably going to end up paying $80 for service truck from a real truck tire place or just airing it up and driving the nine miles to the truck tire place.

Brian Elfert
El-Sonador

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 05:58:14 AM »

Brian...

I signed up for a CAA RV PLUS CARD service in Canada before I hit the road for Mexico and CAA is fully honored by AAA and visa-versa, so I am guessing that the RV PLUS service is also available from AAA also.

It seems to be a small hassle when making the first contact with the AAA call center, sooooooooo many questions, but they did come through with quality trucks and experianced crew.

Cost was aboaut $100CDN  per year, max of 6 250km tows in any one year plus it doesn't seem to matter to them that we are running full sized ex commercial busses as RV's.

Steve
DJohnson

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »

I have Camping World Roadcare and have had a good response from them 4 of the 5 times I've called them (twice for the bus and 3 times for cars).  One of the times for the bus was a flat tire - they had someone to the rural Arizona site in about 45 minutes to change the tire.  The time they were not responsive was when the alternator went out on one of my cars and I was standed in a convenience store lot on a hot miserable Ohio night on 4th of july weekend.  They told me it would be a 4 to 6 hour wait and I told them no way and called someone to come and get me and dealt with the car the next day.  In my experience they always ask first whether you in a safe place and prioritize in part based on the situation.  Based on my recollection of the contract being for emergency roadside assistance I would not necessarily expect the contract to cover coming to change a tire in my driveway. 

I believe that Camping World, Good Sam and one or 2 others are really the same service marketed in slightly different ways.  I remenber talking with one of the tow truck drivers and his contract was with another company that I had never heard of.   These companies are dependent on local contracts that will vary thoughout the country.

Given the responses you have had, I think that you should call them again and complain to a supervisor.

Good Luck.

Dennis
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 06:56:35 AM »

AAA RV plus did a poor job of giving me assistance. After sending me 3 trucks barely big enough to tow a 87 Yugo, I agreed to have them just tow me off the freeway, (downtown LA during traffic). They destroyed my front bumper, now I have 3 services and don't call any of them unless it is a total emergency.
belfert

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »

no way and called someone to come and get me and dealt with the car the next day.  In my experience they always ask first whether you in a safe place and prioritize in part based on the situation.  Based on my recollection of the contract being for emergency roadside assistance I would not necessarily expect the contract to cover coming to change a tire in my driveway. 

I specifically asked if they cover flat tire changes at home whan I called.  I have roadside assistance mostly for towing, but I don't have the tools yet to change a tire.

The guy ended up just airing up my tire so I can get to a truck tire shop.  He didn't even have an a tire gauge and had to use mine.  I realized after he left that I could have just used the air connection on the bus to do that.  My air compressor at home isn't hooked up right now (needs 220 Volt) and that will probably be my project tomorrow night.

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: