Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 11:09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House Battery placement  (Read 751 times)
ski43

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:50 AM »

I have a 1980 MCI 9, I have removed the A\C and plan to put the batteries for house power in the condensor bay to have air flow.  Is it ok to place the inverter in the same place as the batteries or is this too dangerous, also how about a convertor.

Thanks for any suggestions
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »

If you do need to put the inverter near the batteries, there are several things you can do to minimize the risk.  first is get AGM batteries, expensive, but they will almost never vent.  Second you can put a mini partition and vents to create an airflow that will take any potnetial gases away fromt eh inverter.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »

The most popular batteries vent corrosive gasses. Take a look at the stock start battery location in your bus. Do you notice anything unusual compared to other areas of the bus? All that rust & corrosion is a result of the batteries working & gassing.

How well do electrical connections work when they are corroded?

Now, do you want that expensive electronic device (that is chock full of sensitive electrical connections) in that environment?

Oh sure, you can get the pricy AGM's to minimize the corrosive gases. You can add forced ventilation too. But why not avoid the problem rather than chase symptoms?

If you properly locate the inverter away from the battery environment, you will lessen the ventilation requirement for the battery compartment (could possibly go with convection rather than fan forced).

Personally, I'd opt for the Trojan deep cycle lead-acid batteries & use a fraction of the money saved to enclose/ ventilate the inverter & batteries seperately.

But that is just my opinion  Grin

Oh, about the converter, I'd pass on that & invest in a really good inverter & battery bank to eliminate the need for the converter.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:15:00 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »

I agree with Kyle, It is eaiser to put the inverter in another area. But many inverters require no more than 5 feet of wire between inverter and batteries. Also when planning battery area, line walls with non conductive material. It is not a pretty sight when you contact metal wall with wrench when working with batteries.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »

When I bought my inverter (Trace marine 2500 watt modified sine) the owner of the shop said to treat the inverter as you would an expensive stereo system.  So personally, I wouldn't mount a stereo next to batteries.  My inverter is inside, even though it hums sometimes-it stays clean and can watch the lights for float easily on it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: