Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Heater Went Kaput  (Read 866 times)
captain ron

« on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:19 AM »

I plugged my engine heater in just now and it started smoking and sizzling. It has always worked great and hasn't been used that much.
It is the type that heats the water, I believe it's called a Hydronic heater. It's red and black and about the size of a beer can. are they repairable or do I have to replace it. if so how expensive and where do I find one? This engine is very sensitive to cold.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »

That sounds like a hose type heater. You would do better by replacing it with a regular block heater. As so often mentioned, call Luke and he can send you the correct model overnight.
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »

for some reason I was told by previous owner thet block heater couldn't be used on my particular engine set up. 8v92 ddec. There was areason given but don't remember. This heater has been fine till now. I got engine started without it but I'm sure the neighbors in the camp ground don't appreciate the smoke  Grin
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »

Personally I would stay with the recirculating heater.  They're cheap and they work.  Check a local NAPA store or some place where the big trucks hang out.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »

Hey Ron as said check with NAPA, Truck Pro, Fleet Supply or wherever the locals (truckers) by there parts and see if ya can come up with one like ya had! If ya remember I was impressed with yer little recirculater and would like to use one silimar to it, so let me know what ya find! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:26:11 PM »

If that's one of the inline recirculation types, I think it was probably made by Katz.

At least that use to be the most popular brand around.

They work pretty well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

I couldn't find a website for them, but I'm sure they are available many places.

IHTH

Dallas
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:55:28 PM »

They are common up here in the frozen north Ron - on trucks & farm equipment.  If you can't find one then contact me off the board & I will see what I can track down for you. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »

Hi Captain Ron,

Give Luke a try at US Coach, he knows the exact ones that fit bus engines.  Reasaonable too.

1-856-767-3323, He ships too.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: