Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: more transmission change questions  (Read 695 times)
Tin Lizzy

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »

went to a local heavy truck wrecker looking for a 10 speed or 13 speed Roadranger for my MC7 w/8V71
He had some questions that I couldn't answer.
Input Shaft size
Push or Pull Clutch
SAE size of bellhousing

Used trans are around $1,000 which I think is not too bad.

Anyone have any answers?
thanks
Harry

Tin Lizzy
1972 MC 7
Calgary, Alberta
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »

Always the best thing to do is to pull your current equipment to compare with the new that you're considering.  Have you considered just changing it to a 7 spd (either direct or overdrive made) since the 7 spd does not need any shifting air hook ups.  Personally think 7 spd would be enough.  More gears is NOT going to get you up the hill any faster (maybe as much as 2 or 3 mph max because of gear choice).  Climbing a hill is a function of pure power.  If you want faster on the hill, more horsepower is needed.  Consider turboing your engine, or switching to a 6V-92TA.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:52:56 PM »

harry, I don't have all of your info but 2in shaft is most common. Push or pull is determined by the bellhousing and clutch forks and I don't know one from the other. The forks on my trucks are behind the throw out bearing and I think they push. If you locate a truck w/ a 318 and 10 or 13 speed just take it all and you will be fine. (think you said you had one) Get the bell, flywheel clutch and trans as a unit. If the disk plates don't  have alot of heat marks and are reasonably smooth check the disk splines for wear (1/16) in in the splines if the rest looks ok, run it. Always change out the pilot bearing. It doesn't matter which spline size the trans uses as long as the clutch splines are the same size. You may need to clock your starter to the new bell. you should have a mt 40, its not hard. These trannys love slick 50, especially the 13 speed.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »

Harry, I also recommend the 14 in double disk clutch in organic. One in mid life will last you forever. If the plates don't look real good, have them give you some better ones. Most bone yards will have a pile! Also take a look at the splines on the input shaft where the disks ride for excessive wear. They are replaceable but your used trans should have a useable one for the money. They will all have some wear but you don't want one that is worn half way thru the splines. Look at several trannys to get an idea of what acceptable spline wear is. Same for disc splines.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: