Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Genset slide out comments  (Read 2933 times)
Dreamscape

« on: January 12, 2007, 07:46:09 AM »

Getting ready to build a slideout for our genset. I know the basic idea, but has anyone built one that took some pictures of the rails, wheels, etc.?
Just searching for ideas and thoughts before I tackle this one. I want to do this one time.
It is an Onan 12.5 KW air cooled.

Thanks in advance,

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »

Good topic....I want to build the same think for my Onan...

GaŽtan

GaŽtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »

May not be what your looking for byt here is what I did!

The wheels are actually bearings that I got from McMaster Carr.

Hope this helps!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »

Ace.  you did a nice job, it looks very professional, How long did it take you to make it? Great job again.

Pete & Jean
                  Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »

Waiting on the parts from MC took about two days. Cutting and welding it up took about a day and a half working on it in the spare time and putting it in took about two days including degreasing the generator and mounting it. Susan actually did the wiring because she could fit in behind it. That took another part of a day and then we made the radiator mount blah blah blah which took another couple of days so all in all about a week!

Thanks, it works really well! It's not on rubber and you get very little if any vibration and that only happens when you shut it down for a few seconds! Other than that it rides and runs very smooth!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »

Ace
   The reason i ask is because we got to make one for our battery tray slide out. Thank you.

Pete & Jean
              Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:02 PM »

Pete that should be a lot easier to do than the one for the generator! The batteries are lighter! LOL

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »

Ace,

Very good professional job.

I had not thought about three wheels on each side, great idea.

Do you know the part number on the wheels you used from McMaster Carr?

And what size channel did you use?

Thanks for your input!

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:40 PM »

Paul, the main reason I used 3 wheels on each side is so I can move the unit outward and the outer most set of wheels can come out of the tracks, still leaving the unit supported on an equally loaded pair of wheels. When putting it back in the out er wheels automatically line up in the tracks and in it goes! No lifting due to the unit tilting once the outer wheels coming out of the track.

As for the wheels, they are actually bearings and we welded a stud to the backside center then drilled a hole in the channel and welded them to the channel. Probably a little overkill but it's a 12.5kw so it does have a little weight. After a few long trips and many hours of just sitting, they still roll and work very well!

I will have to go back and research my receipts to get the actuall part numbers if your interested!

Thanks
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »

Ace,
If it too much trouble don't look for your receipts. I will go to there website and look around. I have bought many things from them in the past for work. They have a lot of hard to find and some neat stuff.
Thanks again Buddy,

Paul
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »

Look up ďTrack RollersĒ in McMaster-Carrís website. They come in all sizes and the larger ones handle thousands of pounds. We use them where I work in similar applications.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:15:34 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 06:04:11 AM »

Thanks for the additional help BarnOwl!

I did that last night and found what I need.

Paul
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:04 PM »

Ace,

You said the gen is not on rubber. Is there no rubber anywhere on the gen or mount?

Is it in a box?

I plan to mount mine directly to the rail also but the gen has built in rubber mounts. It sits in a box which is on a 3/16 steel plate base which mounts to the rails.

I'm amazed you have no vibration!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »

Gusc no your correct! What I meant was that "I"  didn't put any rubber in the mount that "I" made. It has the factory rubber on the mounts as you describe but that's all there is!

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I was actually describing the mount that "I" made as I know some guys incorporate rubber in their own mounts, slides, racks or what have you!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

I didn't use a slideout.  I have access to everything I need on the generator for maintanance.  Fewer moving parts, easier to put the quiet box around it.

Ace, nice job, I always apreciate creative work -  those "wheels" are cool

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: