Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Klam electric retarder  (Read 3777 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:23:52 PM »

Many of you know of the Telma driveline electric retarder.  It is mounted either at the end of the transmission, in mid point in the driveshaft or on the rear differential (because of space, most buses would use the rear differential mounting-trying to keep some space between the retarder and the air bags-since the retarder makes some serious heat).  It looks like two rotors (like a disc brake) with 8 electric magnets inbetween.  Think of it as an electric motor in reverse. 

Now there is another player, I personally didn't know of, but which has been in business for as long as Telma.  It is called the "Klam" retarder.  It looks very similar to the Telma (since both companies used to be one), and has the US headquarters in Denver.  I believe he said they're made in Spain.  Very effective retarders if you have the space.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »

You all probably know by now how much I love the Telma that I stuck in my Bluebird last year.... so much that this month I'm also putting one
on my Crown.  It's not going to be a trivial task... gotta change the entire rear axle out to get one that's compatible with
the new retarder, and as a result of that, also the tranny since all the ratios will have changed.
BUT it's WORTH IT.  Either a Telma or a Klam will make your bus one of the safest machines possible going down hills, not to mention
the safety added by basically giving you a totally separate and quite efficient 2nd braking system.
They are amazing
Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »

How pricey are electric retarders and who would install them

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »

I got my first one new from ebay for $400 (I resold it) the second one I found locally used for $1400 (the profits from the first one bought the second one) and since the second one came off a bluebird, it fit mine perfectly.  The one for my Crown is new, costing me around 7K with controls and all.  Yes pricey but once you've driven a grade with one, you'll understand immediately that it's worth every cent as the best insurance that can be bought for safety.  Makes a Jake feel like a whimp...
They also pay for themselves quickly- Properly installed, the things actually do 80 - 90% of the entire braking for the vehicle, meaning much less brake wear.  Simply by taking most of the load off the brake system,  brake maintainance instantly drops to probably 1/10th of what you'd normally expect.

I've installed my own- it's not too bad a job however it is a grunt-monster to handle... 300-400 pounds easily....

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
captain ron

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »

I have a retarder on my bus (and one in it  Grin ) how do I know what kind it is? It has only on off switch and has one of those red covers that keep it on all the time. any info would be great. How it works, what kind, is mine better than Jakes, That kind of stuff
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:29 PM »

Go take some pictures of the driveshaft, from the tranny to the rear end, post em and if you have one of these beasts, we'll be able to tell you more...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
belfert

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »

Captain Ron, you probably have a transmission retarder instead of an electric retarder.  Tranny retarders generate a lot of heat that needs to get out of the tranny.

After seeing this post, I'm going to contact Luke at US Coach to see if either of the two salvage Dinas at his shop have the Telma in them.  This would make installation a lot easier if I could get one from the same model bus.

Brian Elfert
captain ron

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM »

Brian, I believe you are right. It has a switch cover that keeps it in the on position all the time. Should I remove it and only use it when absolutely necessary?
belfert

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

Brian, I believe you are right. It has a switch cover that keeps it in the on position all the time. Should I remove it and only use it when absolutely necessary?

Someone else will have to help you with that.  I just know that an MCI the age of yours would be very unlikely to have an electric retarder.

Brian Elfert
captain ron

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

Someone else will have to help you with that.  I just know that an MCI the age of yours would be very unlikely to have an electric retarder.

Brian Elfert

If I remember right you were the one who also said my bus could not have an 8v92 DDEC and Alison 740 A ATEC  Roll Eyes
belfert

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

If I remember right you were the one who also said my bus could not have an 8v92 DDEC and Alison 740 A ATEC  Roll Eyes

The DDEC and ATEC weren't available in 1978.  Yours had to be repowered at some point.

I didn't say you couldn't have an electric retarder.  I just said it would be very unlikely.  MCI doesn't even offer an electric retarder as an option on current models.

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: