Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will we ever be able to get home????  (Read 1279 times)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

Well, the trip couldn't end peacefully, could it? Angry  Nope, that would be too booooring!  Instead, just as one last final Hurrah. . . the weather had to turn on us!  hhahahah, you guys thought we had bus problems, didn't you?!?  Wink

As many of you know, we left  the bus rally in Florida, with plans for New Orleans, and from there. .  .well, not much planned, . . .just a leisurely stroll home.  New Orleans was a bit of a disappointment, bad and over-priced meals and a definate change in the music venues, ( I mean, who goes to New Orleans to hear rock and roll or top 40 music Huh) but then again, we knew that it will take time for the city to come back.  The funniest thing that happened was this guy who was staying there came up and wanted to see the bus. He then asked what it was. . . not what KIND of bus it was, Huh what the whole thing was!  Grin  He thought that maybe we had taken an Airstream travel trailer and somehow put a powerplant, steering, etc. on it to create some new type of motorhome!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Guess the guy had never seen a silver bus before Huh Cheesy

We left New Orleans and headed west along I-10, to experience the fine roads Louisianna has to offer, which made us glad we weren't in that old jaw-busting motorhome.  Cheesy I mean, even the air bags couldn't soften some of the bone-crushing, teeth-rattling fine stretches of pavement they imply is an interstate.  We bounced on through Louisianna and into Texas, stopping at every antique store we could find, turning north by Houston, on the last leg of our voyage home.  The plan was to hit Dallas on Friday, shop at the Grapevine Mills Outlet store on Friday afternoon, hit the McKinney Flea Market on Saturday, and drive home to OKC on Sunday.  Yeah, that was the plan.  But like all good plans, something always goes awry.  Grin

We're sitting here, in Dallas, watching the ice build up on the trees.  By the time we made it to Dallas, it was obvious we could either make a mad dash for home, which at the least, meant driving like crazy, hoping to beat the storm that was coming in,  possibly skating the last number of miles home,. or we could hang in Dallas.  We chose to dawdle in Dallas until the storm passed.  We've pretty much got all the bugs worked out of this bus, so the last thing we want to do is attach it to a tree or make it a permanent part of the landscape along I-35! 

It was the correct choice to stay here, as the storm hit home faster than they anticipated and our office manager had sent the guys home by 11:00 a.m. Friday morning because the roads were already starting to ice over.  We boondocked in a Wal-mart parking lot that night, but once we realized we were definitely going to be here a couple of days at least, we decided we'd better go ahead and get into a campground.  We are happily ensonced at The Vineyards campground, at Grapevine, Texas, backed up in a spot, at the very point farthest out in the lake.  Hopefully, our tires won't melt the ice in such a manner that at midnight, we quietly slip off our spot into the drink!  I could just see us waking up from what we thought was a bad dream, only to find our fine 8v71 blowing bubbles in the lake!   Shocked

Hopefully everybody else either made it home already or are so far south that they don't have to worry about this nasty cold stuff.  As for us, we'll be hanging here at least until Monday morning, from the looks of it.  Even then, it's going to be coooooold.  It was a hard choice, we almost just turned around and headed back to spend the Winter with Jack & Paula in Arcadia, FL!  Ask me again on Monday which way I'm going. . . .Jack, um, how much space DO you have down there?  Grin Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »

I can't think of anyone in the State of FL who would complain if you and Larry decided to turn around and come back, Christy!  Cheesy

Having hit all those Hot Spots on the way do you have any bay space left?  We know you don't need another piano so my guess is you're chock-a-block full of treasures and memories. Embarrassed

No one spins a bus yarn like you do gal.  Your descriptions are hilarious.  Keep it up and MAK might give you your own column! Grin

We hope.....

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:47:20 PM »

And to think I was going to Texas this winter.  Guess I'll stay in Nashville a while longer. I have been able to ride my HD every day since I've been here, Of course had to use the rain suit a few times. No bugs either
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »

Guess I'll stay in Nashville a while longer.

Well Ron, you'd better get out your ice scrapers,  Cheesy.  Looks like when this storm leaves the Okla/Tex area, it's headed your way.  Tongue Of course, it'll be petered out and just slap you a little bit with some light flurries, but it's still no fun for sure! 

We're laying here waiting for the coffee to finish perking. .  .lazing around.  . . man,  person could get USED to this life pretty quick, couldn't they!  Anyone want to buy an hvac company???  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:18:15 AM »

Christy,

Bob and I are going to drink the first beer of the day (barehanded) to get an idea of how cold it is up there. Wink

Of course we will use a can holder on the second so it doesn't warm up too fast! Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »

It was a hard choice, we almost just turned around and headed back to spend the Winter with Jack & Paula in Arcadia, FL!  Ask me again on Monday which way I'm going. . . .Jack, um, how much space DO you have down there?   Christy Hicks

Hey Christy, We ALWAYS have a space for you and Larry!  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »

Now, Cliff, that was cold (and I don't mean the beer, I mean your heart! WinkGrin

We were forced to drink wine last night because you can drink it when it's at a warmer temperature than I prefer my beer! I've already had enough cold for one day!   It was rough. . .because you know, once you open the bottle, well, you might just as well finish it!   Wink

Good thing we weren't going anywhere this morn, ha ha. Grin  Christy

NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 03:34:44 AM »

Sheesh! It must be nice to be able to lay around like a pair of retirees!   Grin  Seriously I caught the WX  Channel this morning and it looks like OK has caught more than its' fair share of ice and sleet.

You might give some thought to South TX for a few days, guys. It doesn't look like you want to be home for a while.
Work will come soon enough.

Good Luck,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
sivrtnge2

1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »

If you do decide to go to south TX, you might want to go south of I10. I crossed TX last night ad was in ice and freezing rain from 60 miles west of Houston until Van horn, Angry !!! I'm sitting in El Paso now itfinally got up into the 50s Grin...and to think I left 74 degree weather in Eglin, FL yesterday Undecided
--
BILL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: