Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 04:06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT, Barrett/Jackson 07' This Week  (Read 3260 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

This has been my favorite thing to watch in the winter time when there are no races through the off

season on Speed Channel. Each year brings a bigger high with the biggest being the Future liner last january..

I can't wait to see what will top the future liner. Thats going to be tough!

Happy 35th Barrett/Jackson,  If Ron Pratte is there, [he was the buyer of the future liner] I'm sure he will be

spending some big bucks. Here is a pic of his museum.

Nick-
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:02:59 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »

I was fortunate yesterday to get invited to preshow for owner/sellers and look for the Shelbys original personal car to be big seller this year along with the 12 pairs his&hers plus OCC units.

it is a beautiful show.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »

Each year brings a bigger high with the biggest being the Future liner last january..

I can't wait to see what will top the future liner. Thats going to be tough!

Nick-

Well here it is folks  Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin   Huh

Quote from owner "Next Stop  Barrett/Jackson"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

Top Sellers on Day 1

And the $175.000 Shelby

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »

I communicated with the guy with the white elephant Neoplan.

he thinks what he has is gold despite the low budget Limobus interior.

Dumb-A@* that he is he probably paid 60k for the shell.

It amazes me what some people think thier Junk ( True Junk) is worth.

I am sure that thing has loads of hidden rust too......covered up with that paint job.

Barrett Jackson would not even let that thing in the State of AZ let alone on their auction block.........

and even if they would it would get stuck on the ramp to the block.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »

I'm researching the Kenny Howard Converted Bus that is due on the block

at Barrett/Jackson. I'll keep ya posted...

It sounds like Kenny Howard is the imfamous "Von Dutch".  Here is what I found, but nothing on his bus yet..

Pinstriping on cars and motorcycles was a dead art when 15-yr. old Kenny Howard went to work in George Beerup's motorcycle shop in the mid-forties. The last automobile striping on an American car was done by General Motors in 1938. Then, in the mid-fifties, customizers brought it back in style in mostly radical form believing they were doing something entirely new! Kenny, the motorcycle mechanic was the man who started this "new" vogue under the name "Von Dutch."

Dutch's Dad was a well known designer, sign painter and gold leaf man in the South LA area known as Maywood. The well known Western Exterminator Logo is an example of his work that lives on today.

Dutch would occasionally bring a bike home from Beerup's shop borrow his Dad's brushes to put pinstripes all over it. When Beerup saw what Dutch had accomplished, he couldn't believe it, and moved him from mechanical work to painting and striping. For the next decade, he built a reputation that he really never wanted.

"I'm a mechanic first." he used to say, "If I had my way I'd be a gunsmith! I like to make things out of metal, because metal is forever. When you paint something, how long does it last? A few years, and then it's gone!"

For the next several years Dutch painted and pinstriped nothing but motorcycles, moving from shop to shop, saturating each area. By the mid-fifties he had done thousands of bikes, but very few cars. Striping cars started as a joke when he was working at Al Titus' motorcycle shop in Linwood, California. The whole car striping idea started to 'snowball' and he was there.

He was approached by a guy known as the Crazy Arab,  who thought it could be worked into a full-time occupation. Dutch didn't believe it, but he tried it, and for the next three years he worked at it until it just drove him nuts!

When Dutch quit striping in 1958, he was still in great demand. Customizers from all over the country had heard of him, and cars came from as far away from the L.A. area as New York to be "Dutched." When a car owner came to him, he didn't tell Dutch what he wanted, he just told him how much 'time' he wanted to purchase. The designs were up to Dutch, and many of them were created way down deep in the recesses of his eccentric imagination. He had hundreds of imitators and followers; Shakey Jake, The Barris Brothers, Tweetie, Slimbo, Big Daddy Ed Roth and many others
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:40:23 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »

whats the lot # on the bus
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:51:07 PM »

I'm still looking for kenny's bus.. But I just found a Flex.....

1952 FLXIBLE CUSTOM DAYCOACH MOTOR HOME
Lot Number:      1556

Options
Engine:                           534
Transmission Type:   AUTOMATIC
Horsepower:                350
Cylinders:                      8
Exterior Color:             RED
Interior Color:              BIEGE

Description
A 1952 motor coach, restored to perfection. The Land Yacht conversion was accomplished by the Custom Couch Co in 1961. No. 967. This unique features all of the amenities found in the most modern motor homes, combined with the classic retro elegance of Day Couch travel. All systems are fully operational. The upgrade specifications include flat screen TV,DVD,CD, individual control heating and air-conditioning in both forward and rear cabins, stereo sound, sleeping for 4, roof observation deck with interior and exterior access. The bath shines with a very rare and correct stainless Travel Lav with shower. The decor includes new wall to wall carpeting with a full protective runner, new upholstery, all tastefully appointed. The rear compartment converts to sleeping berths, reminiscent of stately rail travel. There is extensive storage capability, with 2 full wardrobes, 11 large drawers, and double size slideouts under each sofa. The walk in rear compartment is a combination of diamond plate and carpet, and is large enough to carry a motorcycle! There is a full towing package for a trailer. Electrical systems are powered by either the new 10 KW Kohler generator, or by a shore power 50 amp. connection. There is new rubber all around on perfect Alcoa rims. The Zip Dee awnings all have new canvas, along with tinted, screened windows, and privacy curtains. The exterior combines DuPont Imron paint, highly polished stainless steel, superior chrome, and extensive pin striping. An automatic transmission makes for easy driving and it cruises effortlessly at 65MPH. The motor has been thoroughly inspected and repainted to original condition. The steering is tight and responsive. The couch does not require any special license to operate. It has the original owners manuals, factory blue prints, full schematics and original documentation. This vehicle may be used to promote products, as a campaign couch, a corporate entertainment and tailgating bus, or as an elegant private motor home. It has performed in all of these functions in grand style and is truly "one of a kind". If there were a Concours d'Elegance for motor coaches, this would definitely be a winner!!

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »

Here is another bus

1935 WHITE  CUSTOM TOUR BUS CONVERTIBLE
Lot Number:      1047

Options
Engine:                           454
Transmission Type:   3-SPEED
Horsepower:                365
Cylinders:                      V8
Exterior Color:             WHITE
Interior Color:              BROWN

Description
Engine- 454 Vortex 2002, auto transmission, power disc brakes, coil spring front-suspension, power steering, stainless steel exhaust, 200 amp charging system nut & bolt complete restoration, with only a few test miles. Interior-custom leather wrap around seating for 13, custom wood work, breathtaking cut glass rear window, custom engrave copper trim, bar stereo. Large custom tailgate trunk, hidden ice coolers, big screen TV. Seating for 14, Exterior-custom paint large convertible top, side shirts, stainless steel side pipes.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »

The Flx is a Custom Coach unit
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 03:55:38 AM »

Doug,

I can't seem to find the pictures of Kenny's bus. From what I saw on the tube, it looked like an old transit bus

or a flexable that was in poor condition. I belive they are selling it on the fact that the owner was very famous?...

And he lived in it for many years....

Nick-

gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:10:24 AM »

Von Dutch had an old converted 1940's  schoolie..with a flying eyeball blasted into the rear glass..was a featured bus in hot rod back in the late 60's early 70's last I heard it was setting junked out in the west...gg

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »

Had not thought about this for years so this made me go searching...the old skoolie is what got me started in buses...but memory fails..seems von Dutch had a transit GM completely stripped now ..Did anyone else  on this board travel the early to mid 60's car and drag race events??? If so whose set up was an old converted skoolie? old minds want to know...gg

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
captain ron

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »

How do you search the B/J auction site to find what they have? I went to their site but found no way to search inventory.
A link would be appreciated.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »

gg & Cap. Ron,

Here is the link to search the 07' Vehicle listings for Barrett/Jackson   http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appstest/carlist/carlistfilter.aspx?auctionid=221

I saw the Von Dutch Bus with my own eyes, last night they had a preview of it as to be on the block sunday...

It's for sure a transit bus, maybe from the 60's or 50's

Nick-

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »

the White and the Custom Coach Clipper should hit the block tonight
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

take that back   likely a Friday for the white and Sat for the Flx
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 08:07:10 PM »

Just saw the Von Dutch Bus.....
Outside of the famous connection the thing is a POS.

It is in as bad shape as the "Rosa Parks" bus that the Ford Museum bought.....and it could not even be proved to be what they claimed......only that it was in the fleet at the time.  The Museum spent alot of money fabricating parts for it, despite alot of the parts being available from different sources...and it still doesn't have an interior

will be interesting to see how much scrap metal brings because of a name.......

Oh it is a 35 foot old look GM Transit......didn't get a long enought look to figure the model #

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »

http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/vondutch/vondutch.htm

http://www.letterhead.com/articles/bob_burns/vondutch/

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/2007/01/bid_on_the_von.htm

30 footer

http://www.vondutch.freeservers.com/photo5.html
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 09:27:43 PM »

Thanks Doug,

I'll post the pics of the Von Dutch Bus

Nick-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:40:42 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 09:29:27 PM »

And more....

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

in those links is another photo of it without paint on the front......the condition it is in at barrett jackson is far worse than these photos....looks like it was missing 1/2 the windows. and had almost no white paint........god knows what happend to the paint as that stuff is made of indestructium......and should still be white unless someone was fooling with it...or it's not the same bus
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »

Auction results as of last night

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 08:36:23 PM »

Von Dutch Bus............................................Sold..............40,000.00
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »

White Yellowstone/Glacier NP Tour Bus, Custom Resto-Mod....................Sold.....................175,000.00
belfert

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »

Von Dutch Bus............................................Sold..............40,000.00

$40k for that heap of scrap metal??  I guess a famous name really does mean something.

Brian
captain ron

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »

$40k for that heap of scrap metal??  I guess a famous name really does mean something.

Brian

Boy the guy that bought My old bus got a steal   Grin Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Cheesy
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »

Carrol Shelby sets all time high 5,000,000 % MILLION Ron Pratt purchaser

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »

Hay,

Ron Pratte spent over 9 million saturday....

It's a shame he doesn't open his personal collection to the public with over 800 vehicles in it!

Nick-

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »

The Flx sold for $125,000

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »

After paying the buyers premium the cost to the new owner is $137,500.  Of course he will still have to pay sales tax in whatever state he registers it in.  Smiley  Probably looking at $150,000 or better by the time he is done. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: