Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 17, 2014, 04:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over-the-road Bus A/C Question...  (Read 11121 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 05:00:10 AM »

Steve, they are after market add on a/c units that produce 22500 btu s each, i have two, they look like toys and some think they couldnt do the job, they use 13000 btu roof tops and think thats fine but my 22500 are not big enough according to some, but when we go down the road in the Texas summer and its 74 deg in the front driver seat i could care less. thats the way it works and many times we only run one. they have done a great job for us>, there are about 20 or so others out there with thesame setup, and ive heard no complaints yet
Frank Allen

Frank,

Any brand names or links?

I have two roof airs, but want to put air up under the dash where the original unit was.

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 06:30:31 AM »

Cliff   i bought everthing i needed from rainbow products near charlotte NC, the mans name is Mike Brown, i have twp units , you may need three because of the added size, our bus is 35 ft, he will have everthing uou need except compresser mounting brackets, i run two units and a single compresser, have a small condenser over the bottom of the radiator, these units are small which makes them easier to install, i have no connection to thei guy or his company just passing on info, i also have one of these units in my 55 olds and it will freeze you out of there on any given day. the big thing with the bus is getting air in the front where the driver sits , and it does that well. the ph nimber is 704-278 0054 will post a web site that details my system that a frend put on for me if you care to look
Frank allen
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »

cliff, wonder where you are in fla?? i get down there a lot, was born there and lived there many yrs, have family still living there, anyway here is the web site on my system
http://users.myelcel.com/roncarter/splitsystem/ my son and myself put this system on in one day, take a look and see what you think. we dont even use the roof air on the road, no need
Frank allen
belfert

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »

http://http://users.myelcel.com/roncarter/splitsystem/ my son and myself put this system on in one day, take a look and see what you think. we dont

Is this the right URL?  That domain does not appear to exist.

Brian Elfert
cjm

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »

Try http://users.myexcel.com/roncarter/splitsystem/ .  John
belfert

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 05:46:49 PM »

Cliff   i bought everthing i needed from rainbow products near charlotte NC, the mans name is Mike Brown, i have twp units , you may need three because of the added size, our bus is 35 ft, he will have everthing uou need except compresser mounting brackets, i run two units and a single compresser, have a small condenser over the bottom of the radiator, these units are small

What BTU size is the compressor and condensor to handle a 35 foot coach?  By the time I bought something big enough for a 43 foot coach I would probably be just as well off with the original system I suppose.

Brian Elfert
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »

The compressers dont have btu ratings, all it is is a pump anyway, and you dont need no great big thing in your bus unless you are going to have 40 or 50 people in there producing heat, the condenser is small also, mine is called a space saver, has extra rows of tubes but is small in size. ive seen buses run the original a/c system with a automotive compresser, as i said dont need that huge thing they had in there.
Frank Allen
El-Sonador

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 12:15:47 PM »

Steve,

Your toilet dump would have been in the curbside engine compartment. You can sometimes get to parts of your compressor easier through this door. The R134 sticker may be there. Since you mentioned hoses, the R134 ones are different and that may be evidence of a conversion. However, I've seen the old hoses left on after conversions so that's not a sure-fire method.

Darren

I just inspected that compartment and the unit a little closer, No stickers anywhere, some steel braided lines, not sure where to find out if the "connections"  are screw-on or quick-fit, as KingFa mentioned.

I'm still lost on this one... [and feeling stupid]

Steve
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »

freeze 12 will work just fine and a lot cheaper even though it has been going up in price
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »

Steve,

1 last resort!

Go into the condencer compartment, and look for the expantion valve, [sort of valve look with liquid lines going in and out with a small capilary tube on top] it may
also be in with the evaporator coil. you may have to remove the inspection cover. On the expantion valve may be printing of which refrigerant may be in the system.
If not, you could read me the mo. # of the valve and I can cross ref. it to the refrigerant it was designed for!

Hope this will help!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »

EL, I can help you find the connectors. Call me at 813-833-2524.  Darren
El-Sonador

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 03:23:35 PM »

Steve,

1 last resort!

Go into the condencer compartment, and look for the expantion valve, [sort of valve look with liquid lines going in and out with a small capilary tube on top] it may
also be in with the evaporator coil. you may have to remove the inspection cover. On the expantion valve may be printing of which refrigerant may be in the system.
If not, you could read me the mo. # of the valve and I can cross ref. it to the refrigerant it was designed for!

Hope this will help!

Nick-

Sounds good Nick...

I'll get in there first thing in the morning and let you know what I find.

Thanks...

Steve
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »

For your info,

There is 9,000 btu's to a horsepower, and 12,000 btu's to a ton!
Most MCI's from early 80's to early 90's have 11 horsepower Carrier compressors.

Nick-
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:22:37 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
El-Sonador

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »

EL, I can help you find the connectors. Call me at 813-833-2524. Darren

Darren... Hi
Just checked and they are screw on caps...
I'll try and post a close-up photo for you to see
Give me a few minutes for the photo...

Steve
El-Sonador

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »

Close-up of Steves A/C unit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: