Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 10:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over-the-road Bus A/C Question...  (Read 9982 times)
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »

Looks like an R12 fitting to me. Anybody else?

With no stickers and these fittings, I'd be confident in saying you have an R12 system.

Who was that guy who said he bought a lot of R12 cheap?

Darren
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »

Yes,

It looks like a R-12 fitting to me too!

But, that still is not complete proof. I've seen alot of retrofits that did'nt change the porting. especially early on in the late 80's!

I would still like to see the TX valve Steve.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
El-Sonador

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »

Yes,

But, that still is not complete proof. I've seen alot of retrofits that did'nt change the porting. especially early on in the late 80's!

Nick-

I didn't forget Nick...
I'll give you that info in the morning
But it looks like an up-grade so far...
I'm not about to chase R12 around the planet... ;-)
Might as well do the up-grade and it's one less thing to worry about.

I'll try to post some photos for you of that compartment when I get in there also.

AT THE VERY LEAST - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR NEW PROSPECTIVE BUS OWNERS TO CHECK OUT THOROUGHLY ON ANY OLDER UNIT THEY MAY BE LOOKING AT - COST TO UP-GRADE COULD RUN A FEW THOUSAND

Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:50:07 PM by El Soņador™ » Logged
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »

Steve,

Weather it's R-12 or not, dosn't matter to me! I won't let you buy R-12 if you were my worst enemy!!
The current market price for R-12 is 1544.00 30lb can.  Being in the commercial refrigeration biz. since I was dragged at along by my father at the age of 13,[no kid wants to work at 13]
I think I learned something, mabe enough to get me in trouble. Well with that said, I can only tell you that I have direct drop in refrigerants that replace R-12
systems using polyester oil. Now I am in no way telling you to try anything other than what your system calls for. I am only telling you that in the commercial refrigeration biz I use upward of 30 different blends of refrigerent!

Nick-

Anybody want some Tea with your Ice?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 07:43:02 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »

Cool!   Wink
El-Sonador

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »

I still have Bus-Air, for now... [Remember, my Freon is getting very low] but if someone was in a similar situation, I think it is possible to run at least one roof-top-air off of the bus alternator. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the power drain [in amp load] placed on the alternator to drive that monster condenser fan is more strain than the 15 or so amps of a roof-top.

If this is correct, and I think it is... then one roof-top operated this way may get you buy, [cooling wise] as we are not on the road that long, compared to all the sitting around we do at campsites or at home. I guess running the desert would be a bit challenging.

There maybe a fuel savings here too, to just rip out that entire Bus-Air system altogether. It must weigh a ton!

Total cost savings [including add fuel savings due to reduced bus weight - not to mention a great space left over for a geny or something] in ripping out the entire Bus-Air with an alternate method of cooling your rig down while underway, compared to up-grading to the new R134  A solar panel or three could even be used to kick in the second roof-top on sunny days when you need it the most.

Any thoughts...?

Steve

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:22:27 PM by El Soņador™ » Logged
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »

Good point Steve,

I kept my bus air, because I had tried that about 8 yrs ago on one of my service vans that had no A/C. We installed a 13,500 Duotherm on the roof, added a 2000w
state power inverter, and a 8D battery [6.2L diesel engine in van]
1st problem, while driving the duotherm did very little cooling. Reason, lots of heat gain/ cool loss due to air leaks. [freeze your a** off at red lights]
2nd problem, The amp draw off the inverter caused the 8D to drain in 20 min. and the 110 amp. alt. in the van couldn't keep up!

My bus air only has to run 10 to 15 min's to cool the coach, than only 5 min at a time to maintain it. not much load on the DD!

Nick-

El-Sonador

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »

Good point Steve,

I kept my bus air, because I had tried that about 8 yrs ago on one of my service vans that had no A/C. We installed a 13,500 Duotherm on the roof, added a 2000w
state power inverter, and a 8D battery [6.2L diesel engine in van]
1st problem, while driving the duotherm did very little cooling. Reason, lots of heat gain/ cool loss due to air leaks. [freeze your a** off at red lights]
2nd problem, The amp draw off the inverter caused the 8D to drain in 20 min. and the 110 amp. alt. in the van couldn't keep up!

My bus air only has to run 10 to 15 min's to cool the coach, than only 5 min at a time to maintain it. not much load on the DD!

Nick-

I hear ya...

I'm running a 4024 computer controlled Trace using the WinVerter program with 8 - 8Ds [4 banks of 24vdc] as storage, plus the two bus bats linked through a 24vdc continuous duty solenoid whenever I need to join everything together or to receive power from the engine alternator to replenish the 8 - 8Ds house bats while under way.

I want to get into solar/wind as one of my next pet project upgrades anyways... maybe sooner than I planed due to this A/C issue and the current fuel and campside electrical cost  that's the reason I went for such a heavy electrical system durring initial conversion

This may give me a little head start with considering an alternate to Bus-Air cooling now that it seems I am possibly facing big bucks in up-grading to R134... I could put that money to better use in Solar and Wind as I have everything else in place already.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IMPUT ON THIS - IS IT DOABLE?

Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 06:24:59 PM by El Soņador™ » Logged
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »

Go for it Steve,

You have a wealth of knolage here on the board to help you iron out the kinks, Thats for sure!!

Nick-

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 07:38:41 PM »

Steve still got my # ? I got a guy about 35 minutes from me, on the way in iif you were coming up from TX, who is the BEST there is with A/C in coach with the road air still intact! He's an older hand that I've learned alot from, we used to drive 120 miles to Memphis to have him work on our stuff but he's relocated closer to us and now people from Memphis drive up to his new location to have work done, if it were me I'd stop in and chat with him and see what he has to say towards fixing or doing away with what ya got! He's in a direct rte up to me coming up 51 outta Memphis toward my place! Just my 2 cents worth which these days that and $2.98 will buy you a gallon of fuel! LOL!
Smiley Wink Cheesy Cool Knuckle Cool Grin Cheesy Smiley

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
El-Sonador

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:27 AM »

Yes,

Nick-

El-Sonador

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 05:58:07 AM »

Yes,

Nick-
El-Sonador

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 05:58:34 AM »

Yes,

Nick-
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »

Steve,

Your first pic. top dead center, Thats the expantion Valve! [thormo expantion valve or TX for short] Look for stamped #'s or print.

On your 2nd pic I see the WHITE reciever tank that is used for R-12, [still dosen't confirm] and the main story I see

is all your fittings are well established in corrosion.  Looks to me  like the system is orriginal R-12!

Let me know if you see anything on the TX.

Nick-

El-Sonador

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »

Steve,

Your first pic. top dead center, Thats the expantion Valve! [thormo expantion valve or TX for short] Look for stamped #'s or print.

On your 2nd pic I see the WHITE reciever tank that is used for R-12, [still dosen't confirm] and the main story I see is all your fittings are well established in corrosion. Looks to me like the system is orriginal R-12!

Let me know if you see anything on the TX.

Nick-

I guess I'm lucky the system is even working at all. Both red indicators on the white tank are both at the bottom, I take it that means almost empty. Corrosion on all the fittings and the system appears that it has never been touched in years.

I had the bus out for a run, just got back, and the air is still working, very cold, even in this 95 degree Texas heat here.

I'll go out and check for any info on that TX for you and will let you know what I find, if anything.

Thanks Nick

Steve
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: