Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:47:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: New Battery Technology  (Read 681 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »

In the Los Angeles Times on Wed is the Highway section that talks about new cars and such.  They were talking about the new Chevy Volt concept car that has a battery pack of 16,000 amp hours and takes 7 hours to recharge on household current.  To put that in better perspective, if you were using the AGM 8D batteries (that I have 2 for my house batteries) that are 255 amp hours each, you would need almost 63 batteries, and at 155lb each would have a battery pack that weighed in at 9765lb and cost $14,175.00.  Now with the lithium-ion batteries that they are using (they look like "D" cells-many of them) the electric/hybrid cars are getting closer.  They are now centering in on a fully electric car with a small stand by (1 liter) engine to recharge as you are going, or when a plug is not available.  Sounds like a good future toad!  Batteries on the car could be recharging with the motion of going down the road.  I realize that would make a bit of a drag on the bus, but gets you thinking.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »

The story I read on the Volt said GM is waiting on the batteries to be developed.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »

That would be cool. I also heard of a company working on capacitor theory and forgoing batteries all together. Now THAT would be awesome!!! But they say it is down the road a ways.

Electrified,
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »

I'm sure that time will bring that and even more amazing options into being.   But that specification sheds light into the kind of infrastructure enhancements that will be needed to go with it.

battery pack of 16,000 amp hours and takes 7 hours to recharge on household current.

That would be over 100 amps at 240 volts for those 7 hours of recharging.

I have no doubt the future will bring amazing technology but it will take a lot of electricity.  So they better hurry up on working out cold fusion.  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: