Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 03:59:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weather - you can count on it  (Read 1239 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »

I am sitting inside the house waiting for the rain to stop.  This morning I carefully checked several  weather reports, they all said no rain, just partly cloudy.  So I went out and cut two 14" square holes in my perfectly good roof.  One is for my third air conditioner, and the other for a fantastic vent above the microwave and stove-top. 

I needed some clear time, as I need to make braces to fit between the roof skin and the inside ceiling to help hold the roof up / together.

As my nephew left for work, he said, looks like rain, whats your backup plan?  Being so smart as to having checked the weather report, all I had for him as a smart answer.  well as soon as he left, and as soon as  I had just cut the second hole, you guessed it, it started raining fairly hard.   Enough that I have to let it dry out before caulking around the vent. 

Not a big thing, but damn!!  and I guess being in southern California, I'm not likely to get much sympathy about the weather - its pretty cold here, I think it got down to 50 today.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:20:05 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »

Hey Jim what did you decide.  Did you center the holes or offset them.

Looking at all the pictures posted from Acadia this year it looks like the majority of people centred the roof top air conditioners and not off set them to avoid cutting the centre rib. Smiley

I'm taking a poll on what the majority did. Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:28:04 PM »

My wife and I moved here to Texas last month from SUNNY Souther California. We are supposed to have more cold, snow, sleet, feezing rain and God know what. Sympothy, I guess not.  Cry :'(It is going to be down in the low 30's tonight.    

Hope you were able to get it sealed up.  Wink Wink  Remember Murphy's Law?

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »

I offset them.  They look and work fine.  YOu could also cut the hole, but leave the rib, the air will flow quite well around it.

The vent and the middle air unit being offset are better for my floor plan to have them be just to the driver's side a little.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »

You ort to know if you cut a hole in the roof it is going to rain.  It could be clear, sunny, and no clouds in the sky but cut a hole in the roof and it will rain.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »

Here in FL we have 2 world renowned weather men, they are right %100 of the time. One can tell you when it is raining and the other can tell you when it is not raining Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 06:52:06 PM »

and I guess being in southern California, I'm not likely to get much sympathy about the weather - its pretty cold here, I think it got down to 50 today.

Yep, I feel for you Angry, I REALLY feel for you Angry.  In fact, I feel SO sorry for you, that I'm going to offer to trade places with you. . . TOMORROW! Grin

We're expecting 5-10 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow, and this is on top of the icy snow we've got left from last week's storm.  It's so nasty here and slippppppery. .. Larry's fallen down like four times already, every time you look out the window he's flopping around on the ice like a fish Wink

Since we live in Oklahoma where it's really not supposed to snow much, we don't have a snowplow, so Larry's been spend his days on the backhoe and dozer trying to clear as much snow off the drive and parking lot as possible before the next round hits us.  Yep, I'm thinking 50 degrees in California sounds pretty good right now! Cool  You ready to trade? Grin Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »

paseo one, here is a pic of my three air conditioners that are offset.  The low profiles I think look good if they are centered or not.  Being off center will also provide more room on one side for me to put some solar panels.  If they were centered, there would not be room on either side.

Jim Stewart

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:33:22 PM »

Is it really possible from ground level to visually determine that they are offset?
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »

Yeah, but putting them offset like that is going to be detrimental to your tires over time. The extra resistance on that one side will cause the bus to pull to one side and you'll have to constantly steer to the other side to correct for this. This will in turn cause severe wear on your tires.

You should move one to the other side, and install a 4th one to even it all out.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »

DML, yes it is, per the attached picture.  I think the low profiles do not generally stand out, but you can see that it is off center.  Especialy after I installed those air horns and you have closer reference points to look at.

On the inside, when I made the airbox, I centered it so the  only thing that lets you know the air conditioner itself is off center is the positon of the intake grill.

Gumpy , methinks you are pulling my leg.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:22:40 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:39 PM »

Gumpy knows that all he needs to do to offset the pull is put his  wallet in the other hip.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »

Thanks Jim I appreciate the picture.  I just kept hearing too offset them but didn't seem to run into anyone who did. Yours look good.

It might be more noticable on the GMC  with the curved roof.  Thks

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: