Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 04:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winding down...  (Read 1252 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »

Well, after a somewhat shakey start, the trip to Bussin 2007 turned out to be a fantastic experience in many ways.

As you may recall, I dumped about 50 gallons of fuel onto the road, and then hit 2 deer on the way to Nebraska for
Christmas. I cobbled a light into the damaged unit and headed for Arcadia.

The show was awesome. I was able to connect with so many folks from the boards. Some I had met previously. Most I only knew
by postings.

After the show, I decided to spend a day at Camp Conrad. It was awesome, too, and turned into 4 days. It was so relaxing there, but I had to supervise everyone else while they worked on their coaches. Smiley

After leaving there, I spent another week at a friends place in Inglis. Did some tourist stuff, but mostly just enjoyed the time.
On Sunday, it was time to go home. I had thought about making some detours on the way, but it was one of those times where
you just know it's time to go home. I took 4 days to get home. Skirted all the ice storms that were raging through the midwest. I stopped in to see BK in TN on the way. The bus ran great, and I was able to pull some strings with my mechanic and get it in
for an oil change as I passed by before coming on home. That saved me a hundred mile round trip later on. Even got to see
belfert for a few minutes while there.

I'm home and unwinding now. Still have to winterize the coach again.

It's good to have friends, and even better to be able to spend some time with them from time to time.

I also wanted to note that I spent one night in IL. The temp gun showed -7 in the morning when pointed at the black parking lot,
but I think it was more like 10 above, according to the news channel, and when pointed into the air, it read about 13 degrees. The Aquahot and radiant floor heating system kept me toasty, though I did use 30% of my batteries overnight. It ran pretty much constantly, but I did have it set at 70 degrees. The front of the bus was cold, but I don't have that area insulated, yet. I also had some frost on the windshield. I'll eventually add some small fans up front to circulate some warm air around the windshields. In the morning, I turned on the engine preheat loop before taking my shower and having breakfast. After about an hour, the 6V92 fired up on the first turn. I love it.

All and all, it was a good trip. Now I begin preparation for battle against the city!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dreamscape

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »

Nice to hear you arrived home safe and sound. Also glad you enjoyed your trip and was able to connect with other Bus Nuts. I can't wait to experience that!

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
belfert

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »

Craig mentioned this, but I ran into him at C&J Bus Repair when he was there getting his oil changed from the trip.  I was picking up my bus from having windshields replaced.

I saw a bus in the garage that sure looked like Craig's bus, but I thought it couldn't be as he was on the road.  I went looking for the service manager and sure enough there was Craig.  Craig was indeed back in town.

I sure wished I could have made it to Bussin' 2007, but it turned out my work partner was already on vacation during that time.  I should have plenty of vacation to make it to Bussin' 2008.

Brian Elfert
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:46:43 PM »

Hey Craig, come back to camp Conrad its awful lonely here and I need supervision.
 Did you find a Job?

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

Craig,

Glad you made it home safe!

Now what battle are you undertaking with the city now? I thought that was resolved??

Hummm..

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:08:51 PM »

Craig,

Just curious, but how many btu's you putting up front.  In my webasto loop I have 3 fan forced heater 7k each and three radiants (they total about 2500btu's)  Total btu's in the parlor and galley is 23,500 btu's.  That kept us very comfortable at 18 degrees.  1.5" sprayed foam insulation, eagle 10 coach.

While running I turn on drivers heat and defroster.  They are Danhards that I installed in lieu of the old OEM system, plumbed into the OEM coolant loop and separate from the Webasto.  I think they total 16k.  It took everything to keep warm coming out of the Denver blizzard before Christmas. 

Just thought you would like to know, so you could compare.  If I really needed more I could fire the genny and run four 1000 watt electric toe kicks.  If I need that much heat, I should be somewhere else  Wink

David
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »

Hey Craig, come back to camp Conrad its awful lonely here and I need supervision.
 Did you find a Job?

No, not yet. Just getting started on the search. Something will turn up eventually.

Is your fuel gauge still working?

Was sure good to see you all again, Jim.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »

Just curious, but how many btu's you putting up front.  In my webasto loop I have 3 fan forced heater 7k each and three radiants (they total about 2500btu's)  Total btu's in the parlor and galley is 23,500 btu's.  That kept us very comfortable at 18 degrees.  1.5" sprayed foam insulation, eagle 10 coach.

David,

Not sure how many BTUs up in the front zone. Right now, I have about 400 ft of 1/2" tubing in the floor and wall. I used to know the approximate BTU per foot for 1/2" PEX, but can't recall the numbers at this time. The heater is a 45K BTU unit, so it's probably somewhere on
the order of 15-20K BTU in the front zone floor and walls. I don't have any fan based heat exchangers in the front zone, yet. There's one in the bedroom, and it draws about 2-3 amps @ 24v.

The big problem up front is I don't have the front cap or door insulated, so it's all basically like a big open hole in the coach at this time.  When
I get that fixed, I should be good.

I kept the bus heat, and it's more then enough when driving. In fact, the temp control doesn't work well, and I have to cycle it off periodically
because it gets too hot. I need to put some ducting on the blower output, though. I'm going to try ducting it into the overhead ducts I'm
installing for the basement A/C.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

JerryH

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 04:34:57 AM »

Craig:

Welcome home.  Glad the return leg was uneventful and that the overall excursion was a learning experience and enjoyeable.
Take it easy.
(as I always say) Stop and see us when you're in PA.
We're leaving tonight w/ bus for Poconos (over nighter) for Skiing on Sunday!!  Yeah S-N-O-W!!

Jerry H.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »

Happy to hear that your trip home was uneventful as far as mechanical problems are concerned.  It sure was a pleasure to spend some time with you at Arcadia.

We in the process of hanging the rest of the cabinets and have found the adjustable bar you recommended for the shower.  It should be here early next week.  No matter what though, my shower will never be able to match yours!

Enjoy being back with your family.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 07:34:55 AM »

Wecome back Craig!  I'm glad to hear you made it home safely.
Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 11:43:04 AM »

Glad you’re home safe and wish you the best on landing a job that are interesting or better than last one. I forgot the name of software language you use that is more understanding than others but there bound to be a company that needs a good reliable software writer such as you (Craig). I am sure there are very few that come very close to your experience and knowledgeable.
It was fun talking to you & looking forward meeting again.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: