Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:15:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT help with a problem with Ebay  (Read 3208 times)
Ace

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:29:43 AM »

I've always been a buyer of sorts on Ebay rather than a seller but I recently sold ONE item and ever since then there has been a problem. Has anyone else encountered such a problem? The situation is this. I went to log in to "MY EBAY" and got a notice that I was blocked becausee a 3rd party has gained access to my login and listed Super Bowl tIckets. I guess Ebay knew this was a fraud so they took it off. I had to call them, they had to email me after verifying who I was and give me the directions on how to change my password along with an explanation of why this happened. Ok so I change my password and off I go. The next day, the same notice, the same tickets are up for sale! I call them again and go thru the whole process once again of a different password etc. and off I go! That SAME night, again, I'm blocked because of the same thing. Ebay tells me that this 3rd partyhas something called keyboard logger that allows them to see every key stroke I make! Is this possible? Ebay is the ONLY werb address I am having this problem so obviously they cannot see EVERYTHING I am doing on the web!

Help... I'm running out of things to use as passwords!  Grin

Thanks!
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:57 AM »

Ace,

Check your system for spyware or malware. A keylogging program could have infiltrated your system and is forwarding data to the criminals via the net. Never had it happen to me with Ebay, but I know others that have.

Thomas Weeks
BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
Stupid Bus Newbie Smiley
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:05 AM »

Ace, any number of keyboard loggers and other nasty things have been documented and are available to the low lifes that do these kinds of things. One of the latest is a flaw in Adobe Reader version 7. I am not saying this is your problem but it can be picked up from any website that uses PDF files.

I have a free virus scan on my site: (www.dmvc.com). Just ignore the ad and scroll down to the bottom. I have used Panda software for about 6 years on over 300 machines and never had a problem that was not human error. There are other things you can do if that does not solve the problem but they are too lenthy to post here. Email me if you can't get it fixed.

TOM

BTW: both Norton & McAfee websits have been hacked. That ought to tell you something.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:11:13 AM »

Ace,

I sell on ebay all the time and I have had this happen once.  (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlencarver).  Be sure to change all your passwords, especially email login. When it happened to me I set up a new ebay password without changing my email and it was compromised again a day later.  Changing email stopped it.

I now change all my important passwords once a month.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »

ACE,

You have been Hacked....

Most likely an e-mail that you opened. Like everyone said, Reset all your passwords on e-bay, credit cards, banks, ect. After cleaning

your computer of spyware.. Do you have Nortons?

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
captain ron

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »

I have a free virus scan on my site: (www.dmvc.com). Just ignore the ad and scroll down to the bottom. I have used Panda software for about 6 years on over 300 machines and never had a problem that was not human error. There are other things you can do if that does not solve the problem but they are too lenthy to post here. Email me if you can't get it fixed.

TOM

BTW: both Norton & McAfee websits have been hacked. That ought to tell you something.

I tried to use your virus scan but it won't work on "FireFox"
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »

Yea I had to downlaod it on IE but in the meantime I was on with Ebay and they said they couldn't release ther block they applied to my account for another 24 hours.

They say the problem is on THEIR side and not mine!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:43:20 AM »

Sorry Ron, the free virus scan only works with IE. Panda is coded in outside the US so it does not have to comply with the "back door" requirements of software coded in the US. You can download the trial version with Firefox and it will work. I use Firefox all the time. I usually have most of my problems with IE .

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »

There is no need to pay for excellent protection for your computer.

AVG is a free virus scanner that is automatically updated.

Zone Alarm is free firewall with a great reputation.

Both these run all the time and will help prevent future problems.

AdAware personal, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spyware Blaster are also free and need only be run once a month or so. These three between them will clean up most any problems you already have on your computer.

Tony

Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »

My big gripe about all these spyware programs is that they treat a simple cookie as if it's a spyware or something.  Often, it's the cookies that allows a frequently visited website to recognise you when you arrive.  When I run a spyware program, I want to know if I have a trojan or worm or something on my computer. . . I already know about and control the cookies and add-ons. 

Have you guys done that. . .gone to "manage your add-ons" and look to see what is running in the background.  You might be surprised.  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:55 PM »

Christy, If you have a Trojan on your computer the old mans probably been having cyber sex Grin
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »

John, I would like to start a topic in the help section that would always be available to members with these or other computer problems. Would you want to expand on this or add anything? On maybe start a new topic here on Computer help and add this to it. Several others have posted valuable tips in the past and I will try and find them also to add to this. Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated as I am computer illiterate and want to maintain this for my own use if ever needed as well as for the other members help. Thanks,
Richard
I am going to stickey this for a few days so that I do not lose it and then move it to the help board.

You know, I fix busses for a living but my real "area of expertise" is computers... I have my own web, mail and FTP servers running on another computer on the end of my desk.

My "standard" security package consists of this:

AVG Free Anti-Virus
SpyBot Search And Destroy (set to "paranoid" mode)
SpywareBlaster v3.51
and for nightly scanning... AVG Anti-Spyware (used to be Ewido, until Grisoft bought them out)

Both SpyBot and AVG Anti-Spyware will find any keylogger in existance -- make sure you enable Heuristic scanning which scans based on code action as well as database signature.

Spybot will allow you to check what ActiveX items are running or installed on your computer (what Christy refers to as add-ons in IE), as well as showing you all running processes on your computer.  The nice thing is that it identifies them for you and puts a little green checkmark next to those that are known to be safe.

Ace, a question if you will... that one sale you made -- did the buyer contact you via regular email, or was it exclusively through EBay's mail system?  If there was no email contact outside of the EBay system, there is no chance that a keylogger was installed via that route -- EBay's system completely isolates the users.  All communication between members takes place in regular clear plain text, with no HTML or code allowed; EBay simply inserts your text into their template and delivers the nice page to you -- but nothing but normal ASCII text can come from the sender.  If you had contact through regular email channels then it is very possible that there could have been some malicious code contained in an HTML email -- if, however, his emails were in plain text format then it is not likely (not completely impossible, but unlikely).

Another possibility is simply that EBay's servers have been hacked.  It has happened many times before, and they are under almost constant attack -- so it is not a question of if they were hacked, just a question of when did the hackers get lucky.

My suggestion for your immediate "lock-down" of your system is to download AVG Anti-Spyware -- you get a 30-day free trial of the full package.  Bring it up and make sure it gets all updates, then close it.  Next, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".  In the Properties dialog, click on the "System Restore" tab, and make sure that System Restore is TURNED OFF. This is because many viruses and malware programs are capable of hiding out in the System Information folder, and will simply be restored by Windows after you get rid of them.  Click on <OK>, then restart your system.  When your system starts up, press the <F8> key before you see the Windows splash screen to get into Safe Mode.  Once you are booted into Safe Mode, run AVG Anti-Spyware with it set to scan "All Files" and make sure Heuristic Scanning is enabled; do a full system scan.  The reasoning behind this is simple -- when you boot into Safe Mode, only the bare essentials are loaded.  None of the items in the registry's "Run", "RunOnce", and "RunServices" keys are loaded -- which means that your keylogger (if it exists) does not get loaded since it has to be running as a service, and it cannot "hide" by using stealth virus tactics.  It is there on the disk for AVG to find and eradicate -- "nowhere to run, no place to hide".  Once the scan is done, tell AVG to delete anything it found -- do not send it to the Virus Vault or Quarantine -- just get rid of it.  With that done, restart your computer and let it boot normally -- then do another scan with AVG Anti-Spyware and SpyBot Search And Destroy just for good measure.

Hopefully this will clean up your system and fix your problem.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:10:19 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »

Ace,

I waited until the "REST" of the peanut gallery had their say... Not that they are wrong in any way, Just good
advice if you can wade through it all and figure it out.....

BUUUUUUUUTTTTT, Facts are Facts;

You got PHISHED by an email saying that you were locked out and you needed to change your password...

You obviously didn't read the message to see that it didn't actually come from eBay because your eBay username
was not actually in the body of the message.

These things look like eBay because the scammers use eBay's screens but redirect you to a key logging server in some
other country or Ip address so they can capture your ID and passwords when you try to log in to eBay, They then get your
information and accounts.

They use Banks, Paypal, eBay and just about anyones secure site web pages and graphics to try an fool you into thinking
you have a problem and get you to FIX the problem or respond by entering your Real Info into a bogus login page.

If eBay sends you a message by eMail, Do not click on it!

Close the mail program and go log in using your previous login link or by hand and if they sent you a message it will also appear in your MY eBay messages folder.

Use only the eBay online message system to send info to buyers and sellers. You can get a copy sent to your mailbox but the best thing is to only use the eBay message system.

Also... eBay will NEVER send you a email asking you to login because there is a problem. These Phishing schemes always have a link sending you to what appears to be a login screen.. DO NOT USE IT !

That ticket listing scam has been around for about 2 years.. Many people have been caught by it.

Delete that eMail message and don't respond to any more that even hint as being a scam.

You can do a properties of any messages and look at the headers to see where they actually came from and many times the indicators are there with some IP addressed server or foriegn overseas server such as .CH or .RU or anything but a real eBay registered mail server. They even use images from eBay.co.uk to fool you....

Dave.....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »

Here is a perfect example of a EBAY scammer...

I reported this one last week to EBay.    DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!

Question about Item - Respond Now   

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member through My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. 

Question from bluebellvue
 bluebellvue( 146)
 Positive feedback: 100%
 Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: (250026510836) 
This message was sent while the listing was active.
bluebellvue is a potential buyer.

I don't understand why you are not answering back.I have made the payment and you said you will provide a tracking number after the payment is done.If you don't replay I am assuring you I will report you at eBay.I am sorry for that but you gave me no choice.Waiting for your answer asap. Thank you!

Mark Barett.
 Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Thank you,
eBay

Details for item number: 250026510638
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200023943812&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1
End date: Sep-11-06 16:36:44 PDT 

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:20:07 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:30 AM »

I get these same things from PayPal all the time. I send to the to spoof@paypal.com and let them handle it.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: