Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:30:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT help with a problem with Ebay  (Read 3243 times)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »

Thanks everyone! I never received any email from anyone. I merely couldn't log onto my E-bay account so I logged into their chat help line and they informed me that more than likely a 3rd party intrusion!

I'm also thinking my paypal account has been hit and possibly my bank account!

Also my email has been shut down for one reason or another.

problems.....

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

Ok I did some checking and found that my bank account was secure and safe. Nothing done and no withdraws other than my own!

My email is not working and afeter I went to main providers page they have a large announcement written in red saying that they have been hit hard and they are recovering all their drives so for all of their customers (ME) to bear with them as they should be back up soon!

Ok 2 out of 3 isn't too bad but ebaystill has me worried. Not only have I been chatting with them on their online HELP site LIVE, I'm still locked out and they said it would be up in 24 hours. Now the strange thing is I switched PC's and cannot find the LIVE chat help site to save my life! I'm going to log back into the other PC to see if it is there and chat with them again to hopefully get this BS resolved!

Thanks again... everyone!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Dreamscape

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:44:07 PM »

Gosh Ace,

I feel for you. I use eBay a lot and hope I don't have this happen to me.

Please keep us all informed of your progress, as you have already done so well.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
captain ron

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »

When dealing with E-Bay all of the "real" e-mails will have your "real" name in the header. Also never open any links from any e-mails, open from a new window. Do not ever update any info requested from an E-mail. If E-bay needs something from you it will be in your personal messages on "my Ebay"
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 05:24:01 AM »

Sort of on this topic, we received a letter from our bank yesterday that my wife's debit card may have been compromised at a local merchant. They did not specify the merchant, but apparently someone gained access to data files and has used some of the debit cards on file. The bank is issueing another card and we are watching our account but so far nothing has come through. One more thing to watch out for.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 05:42:39 AM »

Ok I waited the 24 hours AND the 45 minutes on hold waiting for a help live chat rep and finally they released the block. I signed on and got my ebay mail and signed off.

To show you what and how, long take a look!

Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: eBay Listing(s) Removed    Jan-20    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: eBay Listing(s) Removed    Jan-18    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: eBay Listing(s) Removed    Jan-17    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - arsc0007@aol.com    Jan-20    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - ace@acerossimotorsports.com    Jan-18    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    A26 TKO NOTICE: Restored Account- ace@acerossimotorsports.com    Jan-17    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    TKO NOTICE: A28 eBay Password Reset - arsc0007 Follow Instructions Immediately    Dec-26    --   Alert unread -
        requires action
   Alert    eBay    eBay Change Password Confirmation    Jan-20    --    Alert unread - requires action
   Alert    eBay    eBay Change Password Confirmation    Jan-18    --    Alert unread - requires action

I like to know exactly how your supposed to take action and read these if they block your account! It's no wonder they went un-read!

This will proably last a day or so! We'll see! Oh well the bright side of this is it's saving me money! LOL

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 06:20:33 AM »

Sort of on this topic, we received a letter from our bank yesterday that my wife's debit card may have been compromised at a local merchant. They did not specify the merchant, but apparently someone gained access to data files and has used some of the debit cards on file. The bank is issueing another card and we are watching our account but so far nothing has come through. One more thing to watch out for.

I can't for the life of me figue out why anyone would use a debit card in the first place. I've always said that debit cards are going to be the easiest tool for thieves to steal money, and the least likely for the consumer to recover lost funds.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »

Thanks John. Here is the link to the help page topic if anyone is interested:

Computer Help

John, I would like to start a topic in the help section that would always be available to members with these or other computer problems. Would you want to expand on this or add anything? On maybe start a new topic here on Computer help and add this to it. Several others have posted valuable tips in the past and I will try and find them also to add to this. Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated as I am computer illiterate and want to maintain this for my own use if ever needed as well as for the other members help. Thanks,
Richard
I am going to stickey this for a few days so that I do not lose it and then move it to the help board.

Fine by me... I found the topic you moved it to and corrected the links so that they go to the right places.  As far as this particular area, there isn't really much to expand on -- the procedure I outlined will pretty much "cure what ails it" as far as virii and malware.  Of course, if the user doesn't practice safe computing, then they will be performing the procedure quite often!

REMEMBER:
Never open attachments from someone you don't know;
Never, never, never open any attachment that has a file extension of EXE or COM!!!!!
And of course, remember the first three rules of computing... backup, BackUp, BACKUP!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:46:06 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

John E. Smith
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »

... I went to log in to "MY EBAY" and got a notice that I was blocked becausee a 3rd party has gained access to my login and listed Super Bowl tIckets. I guess Ebay knew this was a fraud so they took it off. I had to call them, they had to email me after verifying who I was and give me the directions on how to change my password along with an explanation of why this happened. Ok so I change my password and off I go. The next day, the same notice, the same tickets are up for sale! I call them again and go thru the whole process once again of a different password etc. and off I go! That SAME night, again, I'm blocked because of the same thing. Ebay tells me that this 3rd partyhas something called keyboard logger that allows them to see every key stroke I make! Is this possible? Ebay is the ONLY werb address I am having this problem so obviously they cannot see EVERYTHING I am doing on the web!

Sh*t... I missed that in your original post!  I have bolded the obvious tip-off -- yes, you were "Phished".

EBAY DOES NOT HAVE TELEPHONE CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND DOES NOT GIVE OUT A TELEPHONE NUMBER ANYWHERE ON THE EBAY SITE, VIA EMAIL OR ANY OTHER MEANS!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a dedicated help number for Power Sellers, but that number is never given out; it is mailed to the seller when they achieve Power Seller status.  Yes Ace, you got suckered -- the phone number you called was not EBay.  It was some crook who was impersonating EBay.

Do you still have the email?  Either way, here is what you need to do ASAP:

Using a different computer, log onto your EBay account and go to the EBay main home page;
Click on the link for "Live Help"... this link is ALWAYS located in the upper right corner of the home page, with a little "thought bubble" next to it;
Explain exactly what happened to the Customer Service representative;
He or she will give you a link to a page that will explain exactly what you need to do to protect yourself.

You also need to contact PayPal at their Customer Service number, since PayPal is owned by EBay and is inter-linked with them.  Your PayPal account may be safe for right now, but unless you take steps to safeguard it, it won't be for long.

And you need to do this NOW...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:13:56 PM by John E. Smith » Logged

John E. Smith
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 05:54:32 AM »

I know all of these things are a fact of life anymore, especially for us busnuts who travel BUT;

In addition to the suggestions for safe computing already listed on this post, I would add another: place a reasonable limit on any card or account accessible remotely or used on the internet. I use one account for Paypal, Ebay and money transfers. That account ONLY has in it what I transfer into it for use. The credit card I use on the road has a limit. The debit card is attached to the same limited bank account. My other accounts can ONLY be accessed in person by myself, my wife, or one other person I have pre-designated. That way, if my account is compromised, they only get a small amount. If I am home, I go to the bank and deal with the problem. If I am on the road, I can call my designated person to transfer money to me (in cash if necessary) until I setup a new account. All of this is probably overkill but I have never lost any money, either. Smiley

My other suggestion is to pass a law saying anyone convicted of any of these types of crimes would be hung within 24 hours.   Angry

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »

. . . .
My other suggestion is to pass a law saying anyone convicted of any of these types of crimes would be hung within 24 hours.   Angry

Now, lets not rush into hanging someone for stealing your money or identity.

The system needs time to act appropriately & take care of the necessary actions to make the punishment deter others from doing it.
You need to include few essential steps to ensure the punishment fits the crime. Keel hauled, drawn & quartered, then hung.

Yep, that should do it.

If they did it more often, it wouldn't be unusual.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: