Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May I make a sugestion?  (Read 2531 times)
captain ron

« on: January 22, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »

I am guilty of this also but now it's getting out of hand (in my opinion). There have been several brain teasers posted lately and when going through the "bus related" posts they already get pushed way down the list too fast as it is. Maybe we could limit this type of stuff to once a week, or better yet once a month. Not trying to be a kill joy but I do come here mostly for a bus related education. Hope I don't piss ant body off, I'm not trying to be mean spirited I love comedy and jokes and brain teasers, just not all the time
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »

Well, I'm like you. . . it's not that I don't enjoy them, it's just that I belong to a lot of forums, plus receive a lot from friends and family, so you can be sure, I receive the same joke, heartfelt saying, etc., over and over and over and over and, well, you get my drift!  Tongue  There's only so many times I can read some of this stuff before I want to throw up from all the sicky-sweet poems I get sent. . .guess that makes me sound pretty harsh, doesn't it. Embarrassed

Then, there's the really fun ones when people forward urban legends, because they are too naive or uneducated to research whether what they are forwarding is really true, and that starts the whole discussion and debate over whether it is true, whether it OUGHT to be true, whether they should have sent it.  .etc.   Angry

Perhaps there could be a seperate section on the board, like the calendar, help files, etc., for riddles, jokes, etc. . . . Oh No, guess that means I'd have to post in that section then, wouldn't I,  Huh since 1/2 of the stuff that happens to us is literally a joke, and almost unbelieveable.  Hmmm, guess I'd better think that one over again.  I have been putting OT next to my posts if technically they're not truly bus related, but I will say I'm guilty of posting about a certain shower incident that would only have been bus related if I had claimed to have been in the shower IN OUR BUS when it happened.

It'll be interesting to see if others chime in. . . we all feel the same way, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings because we adore so many of these guys. . .well, I do, I'm not sure if Ron does, ha ha.   Grin  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »

How about if we make it easy and I'll just delete anything that starts or ends with OT, then no one will be forced to read it.

After all, we all know that if it's posted on here, you are bound by the law of the bus nut to read EVERY post.
captain ron

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

Good intentions Dallas, But there are some OT threads that are helpful. Such as the one Ace posted about E-bay and virus problems.
Posts like that will help keep us educated on computer savvy ways so we can always use this forum. It's more of a self policing issue. and using restraint.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »

Capt. Ron,

Thank You, Your Comments are taken very seriously. However, we have a very diverse wealth of members

that make this board what it is. Including yourself.  I am convinced that the variety of topics on this board are

the reasons for it's success... Not to put aside any bus related topics by all means but, the variety is what

keeps the average member comming back more often than usual. This is one of the reasons that this BBS

is the most popular, most visited, and most hit's of any bus related web site out there.  I know we can't please

everyone and thats what we would like to be able to do but, thats not realisyic.

Most important, this board is both serious and fun! I know I enjoy it. And I'm proud to be the Moderator!

Thanks
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
captain ron

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »

I was not at all sugesting it stop as I myself enjoy these posts to an extent. I was merely pointing out too much of a good thing can be bad. I often stop myself from making off the wall posts and comments, other times I can't resist. Grin Grin Grin
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »

Looks to me that as long as people put "OT" in the subject line and do their best to make the subject line reflect the content, then it will stay a non-issue.  I thought about our fine moderators, (and Dallas) Wink Wink Wink (just had to tease you Dallas), and it looks to me that if it became a problem, they would likely take steps to correct it.   Cool

I think Dallas has a good point, that you don't have to read a post of you don't wish to, so as long as I put an interesting subject line, I can trick people into reading ALL of my posts, tee hee he. Grin

I used to go to "show unread posts since last visit", but I found that if I visited regularly, pretty much I could just read the first page or two of "all topics" and catch anything that has happened or been said.  I have a harder time deciding if one should start a new topic or add to an old one, which the conversation in the old topic shifts farther and farther away from the original thought.  Of course, when someone adds to a post, it jumps up to the front of the list, but when those posts get 2 or 3 pages long, it becomes more cumbersome to add to the end of it and then to dig on to the end of it and read the last added post.  Anyone have advice?  um, other than just keeping my mouth shut? Undecided  Cheesy  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

I come here to soak up bus conversion/maintnance knowledge, but I also enjoy the off topic conversations of my friends here.  I enjoy the light off topic conversations whether they are jokes or brain teasers or just simply off topic discussions and would hate to see it go away either by rule or by people choosing against posting it.

Many forum applications allow the user to specify how many posts are displayed on a page either in their forum preferences or at the bottom of each page.  If that feature is available in this software but just not enabled, maybe it could be enabled.  That way, when we are on a high speed connection, we can choose more posts on a page so that we see more at a time.  When someone is using dial-up, then they can set it to a lower number to speed up page load.  Just an idea.

I whole heartedly agree with Nick's observation that the variety of knowledge and fun is what makes this such a vibrant and successful board.  I also think the fair and friendly mindset of the moderating team is a major element of the success.
Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:14:15 PM »

I have enjoyed this board for many reasons. First and foremost, to learn about our Eagle and other fine machines that we all love. Second, this board is carefree about topics posted. Be it a joke, brain teaser or the like. If I don't want to read a joke I just ignore it and move on.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT HOW THIS BOARD IS OPERATED!

IT IS THE BEST, THAT IS WHY I DON'T GO TO THE OTHER BOARDS I BELONG TO ANYMORE!

The MODERATORS of this board do a fantastic job, think of how much time they spend making US ALL HAPPY!

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »

Why not have another forum for the board for 'Off Topic' topics?  It can be done with this forum software, as I've visited other forums using the same software with many different forums.  They also have a spell checker!  Wink

David
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »

I'm with Ron - I can find enough of the OT "stuff" without having to wade through it here.  I hope we can self police but I wouldn't object to some net nanny work if it gets out of hand.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »

likely eveyone here is an adult.....and should have the self control to police themselves.

Off Topic threads should be deleted immediately.....this is a bus conversion/busnut board......

I enjoy a good joke or off topic conversation as much as the next guy......but do not want to read them here.

If you have freinds on the board......get thier emails....and send this stuff through emails.......

or perhaps the board ownerrs can add another catagory for OT threads.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »

I agree that there are too many non-bus things lately, it is slowly getting worse.

It would be helpful if the OTs and jokes of the day had a separate place on the board or just be deleted entirely.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »

Gee, I guess I opened a big ol can of worms.....My only point was that the Informational threads get pushed down the list very fast. Sometimes a new thread is pushed to the 3rd page on the first day.... If there is a setting that I can change for my personal viewing let me know, as I am still learning things about this board... I scan through posts and if it does not interest me I move on also... I'll live with it and pull my dog out of this fight Grin Grin Grin Grin
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »

Captain ron,  I agree that you are entitled to add a note of caution about the off-topic posts.

Those who have delved a bit deeper into mathematics than most will remember a kind of proof using "reducto ad absurdum" (sp?) that is sometimes resorted to when conventional methods of proving a theory are required.

In this case, what would happen if every member posted say 5 off-topic threads every day?

The forum would disintegrate overnight.

Would those taking part in the new repowering thread want lots of off topic posts in their special section?

I doubt it.

Create another section for these types of posts and then no-one can complain - especially if the moderators move OT threads from the main section.

Same as graffiti or vandalism -- best way to keep it under control is to remove/repair it immediately. Leave it there and it acts as a magnet for the next joker to come along.

Tony

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: