Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May I make a sugestion?  (Read 2613 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 05:35:37 AM »

Yes we could all join many different boards to get into discussions on other topics.  For example, I could join a physics discussion board to engage in discussions like Jeremy's Fly vs. Train thread.  I have enjoyed considering the physics and mathmatical concepts, but I wouldn't have interest in joining a group to discuss nothing but physics and math.  I have enjoyed the Joke of the Week threads, but would not choose to join a group for nothing but jokes.  I have enjoyed reading of Christy's experiences and observations even when not bus related but I would not choose to join a group for just that.  There are boards out there for random discussions, but they are poorly moderated and mostly filled with teenagers discussing topics I don't even care to know exist.   I consider the members of this group to be friends.  Not just two or three of them, but the group in general.  Emails are fine for one on one discussion, but these discussions work best when a group can join in.

I guess I would agree that a separate section would serve everyone's interest.  Several boards I visit have sections for off topic conversations.  Some of the section names I have seen:

• General Chit Chat
  • Cup of Java
  • Friendly Conversation
  • Break Room
  • Off Topic Lounge
  • The Lounge

Here a couple examples:
http://forums.ev1servers.net/
http://forums.oscommerce.com/

Maybe that is what is needed here in order to help everyone to keep enjoying the board.  Perhaps even seek out an additional moderator for that section so as to avoid overloading or distracting the existing moderating team from the bus discussions.
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:03 AM »

I personally don't get the problem Huh

I open everyday with the "Show unread post since last visit" tab. (It's at the top in the user's info box), Then scroll down to anything that has a subject line I might be interested in.

I simply skip any subject line that doesn't interest me. If the subject says for example "mechanical widgets on Ebay" I can skip it because I don't need anymore widgets.

Dallas,

Great, Now I have to go back and read everything I haven't read. I didn't know about the Law of the Bus Nut. Guess I'm gonna be busy for a few days Grin

Dale
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 06:31:47 AM »

Gee, I guess I opened a big ol can of worms.....My only point was that the Informational threads get pushed down the list very fast. Sometimes a new thread is pushed to the 3rd page on the first day.... If there is a setting that I can change for my personal viewing let me know, as I am still learning things about this board... I scan through posts and if it does not interest me I move on also... I'll live with it and pull my dog out of this fight Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hey Ron,
Since ya  got all those worms how 'bout go'n fish'n? ! LOL! Sorry couldn't stop myself! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 07:10:37 AM »

Yes we could all join many different boards to get into discussions on other topics.  For example, I could join a physics discussion board to engage in discussions like Jeremy's Fly vs. Train thread.  I have enjoyed considering the physics and mathmatical concepts, but I wouldn't have interest in joining a group to discuss nothing but physics and math.  I have enjoyed the Joke of the Week threads, but would not choose to join a group for nothing but jokes.  I have enjoyed reading of Christy's experiences and observations even when not bus related but I would not choose to join a group for just that.  There are boards out there for random discussions, but they are poorly moderated and mostly filled with teenagers discussing topics I don't even care to know exist.   I consider the members of this group to be friends.  Not just two or three of them, but the group in general.  Emails are fine for one on one discussion, but these discussions work best when a group can join in.

I guess I would agree that a separate section would serve everyone's interest.  Several boards I visit have sections for off topic conversations.  Some of the section names I have seen:

• General Chit Chat
  • Cup of Java
  • Friendly Conversation
  • Break Room
  • Off Topic Lounge
  • The Lounge

Here a couple examples:
http://http://forums.ev1servers.net/
http://http://forums.oscommerce.com/

Maybe that is what is needed here in order to help everyone to keep enjoying the board.  Perhaps even seek out an additional moderator for that section so as to avoid overloading or distracting the existing moderating team from the bus discussions.

HTR,

We can discuss your ideas a little more...
Thanks
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »

The problem with selecting "show unread Posts since last visit" is when you try to find a post that you want to refer back to.

AND

Not everyone has the time to check into this forum every day, and when you check after about 2-3 days there is so much "NEW" posts (half of which don't seem to be bus realted) that I just end up poosting on other boards that seem to keep it bus related...

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »

Since I'm as guilty as anyone of posting and replying to OT posts, let me point out this.

Amongst the jokes, physics discussions, and trip diaries, and general chit-chat considered OT, this group of busnuts have recently:

• sent graphing calculators to a deserving student and his school
  • gave some much-needed support to a family whose husband just lost his legs in an accident

Neither of these were "on-topic", and I'm afraid if OT posts were relegated to some other place on this board, important posts like those would have been missed... as would the groundswell of well-intentioned folks that made these such successful outpourings of generosity.

This board is well-moderated. It's one of the finest places on the Internet. And that's because it's not just a place to post about bus-related stuff.

My $0.02,
Brian "OT" Brown

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »

Now you have me thinking too!

Moderators, I would like to see ALL future posts put in two catagories:

CRS-Cliff Related Subject  This would only include things that I am or may be interested in.   Email me first to be sure.

HCIHCT- How Can I Help Cliff Today  This area would be for everyone to post there travel plans so I can arrange cheap shipping for parts I need or so that they could schedule there vacations to help me finish my bus.

But lets get real, we would need to keep the OT for everyone elses needs.  I don't want to be thought of as selfish.   Grin Grin LOL

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »

CLIFF......I mean CRS,

Here's a thought!

NRS-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »

I think that the boards you reference have a couple of hundred thousand members instead of our measly couple of thousand members. They probably get more posts in a day than we do in a year. Having multiple headings would be mandatory in their case. I do not think we are ready for that yet.
Richard

• General Chit Chat
  • Cup of Java
  • Friendly Conversation
  • Break Room
  • Off Topic Lounge
  • The Lounge

Here a couple examples:
http://http://forums.ev1servers.net/
http://http://forums.oscommerce.com/

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »

"The problem with selecting "show unread Posts since last visit" is when you try to find a post that you want to refer back to."

The search function has really helped me in the past and works great so I don't have to dig and hunt through all the OT post.

"Not everyone has the time to check into this forum every day, and when you check after about 2-3 days there is so much "NEW" posts (half of which don't seem to be bus realted) that I just end up poosting on other boards that seem to keep it bus related..."

That's why the "show unread post since last visit" is so handy. I don't have to look through stuff I have already read or stuff (OT) I probably don't care to read. I am away sometimes for long periods (weeks) and can get through 2 or 3 pages of "Show unread post since last visit" in just a couple of minutes. If it has OT or some subject line that I ain't interested in I just keep scrolling down.

I am a member of 2 other Classic Car boards with 10,000+ people and they have the multiple headings and it can really be a pain in the buttocks to try to figure out what was posted while I was away. I agree with Richard (DrivingMissLazy) This board don't have enough daily post to need multiple headings yet.

zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »

We can sit here and banter back a forth about this forever....

I can link you to many forums that have less posts then this one and still have great responses on all of their topics.

I don't believe that an important post would go unread just because it was in a forum specifically designed for those posts. (in fact it may get better response)

Put the forum where your mouth is and try separating the forum for a while to test your theory. Check the numbers after about a month take a poll of the members to see how they like/dislike the split forum and prove to everyone that it is a bad idea.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »

I think that the boards you reference have a couple of hundred thousand members instead of our measly couple of thousand members. They probably get more posts in a day than we do in a year. Having multiple headings would be mandatory in their case. I do not think we are ready for that yet.
Richard

Actually, I have seen boards of all sizes use category sections to separate areas of interest.  Examples:

• RV.net with almost 3 million posts in 33 sections
  • osCommerce forum with 125,000 members, 551,000 posts in 24 sections
  • EV1Servers/The Planet with 25,000 members, 550,000 posts in 32 sections
  • MAK Bus Conversions forum with 1,252 members, 26,441 posts in 4 sections
  • RTS bus nuts Yahoo group with 499 members, 17,000 posts in 1 forum section plus 6 special function sections
  • Skoolie.net with 554 members, 13,000 posts in 7 sections

Personally, I am fine with it the way it is now, I read what I choose to and skip what I don't.  But I realize that OT posts are frustrating some members of the community and adding to the enjoyment of the forum for others.  Perhaps a poll before making any changes would be a good idea.  Like when a poll was done about how to handle the rally announcements.

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »

HTR,

Thanks for the numbers!  That reassures me that what we are doing is just fine.

We have a great board here that is full of intellegent members, quick to respond to a fellow busnuts needs, ect, and it is still growing at a great speed!

I think that this Soap Opra is now over in this thread!

Thanks for everyones comments!  I'm going to lock this down now before we create bad feelings between members and

comments and who is taking sides ect... It just is seeming like a place to throw a punch now.

Nick-
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:49:41 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: