Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4104 - adjust door to tighten up air leak  (Read 1049 times)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:06:11 PM »

I am about 3 weeks away from taking my first long distance trip. Before i go,, if i get everything else done that is on the list, i would like to try and tighten up the front door. The leading edge of the door is quite a ways out from the bus, and this catches the wind making lots of noise, and pulling in a lot of cold air.

I know a couple strips of duct tape put over the seam will help, and i may have to resort to that for this trip cuz the mechanical stuff has to be done first. But is there any adjustment to the hinges inside the door that would allow "pulling" the front edge in?

Right now the door has some paneling on it, but it looks bad and needs to go anyway, so i am willing to open it up.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »

i forgot to ask, how many of you have done away with the original door closer mechanism? I have a door latch plus deadbolt, so it is not really needed. Just wondering what others have done.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »

John,

One of the first things I learned with my 4104 was not to mess with that door. My problem was not as bad as yours, my leak is all at the bottom so I just throw something over it while under way.  I definitely wouldn't mess with it until after your trip because you could get into a worm can and you will have a bunch of other things to take care of before you go.

I also have a bolt and lock but like the original operating handle because it is easy to make sure the door is locked before moving out. That door will definitely open with the slightest bus movement if not locked.

Mine now has decided to lock me out once in a while but I know how to unlock it with my long handled windshield washer! I'll get around to fixing that, can't live with that very long.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JimW7

1970 MC7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:32:03 AM »

Hi John

I have an MC7, so I know it's different, but when I removed the closing mechanism, the door had a  new air leak around it. There was very little adjustment on the top hinge, so I just tried some of the 1/2 inch  cell tape you can buy at Menards or Home Depot. That stopped the wind and noises at road speed. I left all rubber seals in place, as they are keepind out the rain. I also left the air cylinder in place that you can lock the door with when moving, so just in case I screwed up somewhere, and my latch won't hold. Most of the time I don't use the air cylinder, and have had no problem. I see you live in northern MN. I live half way between Duluth and the cities, it would be interesting to see your coach some time, Jim.

1970 MCI 7 serial # 8425
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »

Thanks guys for the tips. I am leaving the door status quo for the time being at least. When i get around to doing the cosmetic stuff and want to repanel the door, i will take another look at it. I actually like being able to just quit thinking about this -- now, where is that roll of duct tape? Now i can get back to making the new pantry!

Gus, your right about the door opening while under way. On my daughter's first trip with me, it popped open while she was sitting in the jump seat. You should have seen the look she gave me!!! Now i always remember to use both methods of locking the door.

Jim, we must almost be neighbors! I live about 20 minutes south of Dth, just a couple miles off 35. Maybe when it warms up a bit we will have to run the buses to Peggy Sue's for breakfast? I am having some front end and brake work done, and new bushings being put in next week (i hope). I plan on going south on 35 far enough to do some bicycle riding, so i am already getting excited about my first longish trip. I can only be gone a couple weeks, but am really looking forward to it!

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

John,

There is a clear weather proof tape sold at WalMart in the AC/weather strip section. I asked in the paint dept and was told they didn't have it.

Knowing WM there is no telling where it is during winter, but it is there. There is a lot of clear tape but this is the only one I found that says weather proof on the label.

I use this stuff for everything and always carry a couple of rolls in the 4104.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: