Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many are running simulators ??  (Read 3161 times)
Paso One

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:09:05 AM »

Looking at Captain Ron's next e'bay purchase I am curious how many are using simulators.?  Looking thru the pictures from Arcadia

I noticed so many coach's had  "shiney" wheels.  Were they real or Falsies.  (havn't used that word for 40 years) Grin

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:18:33 AM »

I tried to note how many were simulators as against the number of Alcoas and the simulators won, in my opinion, at Arcadia.

It's really a pretty expensive choice to go with the Aluminum wheels when there's so many other areas that require money, money and more money.  I was fortunate in that my bus came with 'em.  Would I spend the big bucks to buy them for a 38 year old bus today?
Not so's you'd notice I wouldn't.  And...I'm sure that there are others out there who'd feel about the same.

Is it a snob thing to have Alcoas' on your bus?  I don't believe so.  Like any other hobby some of us are purists, some are into dress and glitz....it's run what ya brung and be the happiest you can....in my opinion.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »

Hi Paso,

simulators here.....† † Hub King's

Nick-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:28:58 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:29:31 AM »

Our coach came with Alcola's on the front and tag axles. The driver has simulators on them. I will say the simulators have a differant look to them. I will eventually purchase aluminum wheels for the driver axle, to keep the look all aluminum. It also matches the siding better.
Now if our bus had SS sides, I would probably go with simulators.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:45:52 AM »

I am going to keep the steel wheels on my older coach. Just have to keep the paint looking fresh. It looks more "stock". Alcoas or simulators look great on later model busses. Just my personal preference...

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
captain ron

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »

JJ got me a real good deal on a set of ss simulators for the front of my bus. They were painted but were nearly brand new. I had a friend strip them in his new stripper tank for powder coat, took about 2 seconds. I had brand new shiny wheels for (if I remember correctly) $35.00 I liove the look of alcoas but the cost and maintenance is too much for me. more bang for the buck with simulators.
jmhofwiwhth
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »

Paso,

I have simulators also.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:53:34 AM »

my MC-8 had sims on it....now have replaced the steer with alum......next will be the tags.......driver's don't look bad but the steer/tags always looks discount to me..

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »

To me, simulators are just one step up from aluminum paint.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
captain ron

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »

To me, simulators are just one step up from aluminum paint.
Richard

Hey don't knock the mexican chrome Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »

Well, as many on this board know, we USED to have simulators on our bus.† Then, after blowing a front tire, which waffled the front simulator on that wheel, Larry somehow worked the numbers to show me how a set of used Alcoas would be cheaper than replacing a set of new simulators. . .

not quite sure how he worked those numbers† Huh. .

something about "could polish them back up himself" Wink

which then worked into, "OMG, been working for hours and getting nowhere"† Shocked

to "There's a guy who said he could do them for. . . " Smiley

to "Well, he said it could be higher if they were really rough"† Embarrassed

to "Oh, honey, just SEE how nice they look"† Cool and "I'll keep them cleaned and polished myself" Kiss

to "There's this guy who said he could clean and polish the wheels for. .† ." Grin.† Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

SEE, a good busnut can justify almost anything.† Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »

Well, I always said that Larry was a smooth talker when he wanted to be! Wink Cheesy  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

Well, I always said that Larry was a smooth talker when he wanted to be! Wink Cheesy† Christy

He smoothed you didn't he? LOL! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »

Simulators! I hate to clean & polish & they are easy & look good.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »

I bought a cheap electronic shoe polisher (it was like a mini buffer) and used it to polish my old simulated wheels.  Anything to get out of a little work...

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 07:26:26 PM »

Falseies`on mine Too>........  T.T.

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
HarLee
HarLee

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »

Mine came with Alcoas - HarLee

Harry & Lee Clay
Sequim, WA

Works for Me
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 04:55:07 AM »

What about CHROME ?

Mine has alcoas on the steer & chrome on the rears. The best lookin'†parts on mine Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 05:58:08 AM »

"Chrome don't get ya home".   Grin

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
captain ron

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 09:56:56 AM »

"Chrome don't get ya home".   Grin

No but it will get you layed  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  And it will "look good" on the "side of the road"  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »

But stainless is painless!!!!!  It's the ONLY way to fly!!!

Have sat on the side of the road a few times!!
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 06:49:40 PM »

A new steel wheel is about $80. A good used aluminum wheel cost me $100 at the truck tire shop. You have to get them one or two at a time, or hit a few shops to get a set, but they are sure nice. I carry a tire gun and spare. When you have to change one, aluminum is less weight to handle also. I don't know how much simulators cost.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
norcal_eagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »

im not particularly fond of simulators, but to each his own. im lucky that my bus came w/ a new set of Alcoas, but if it hadnt, id just put a fresh coat of white paint on my steel wheels and add the little chrome nut covers that are used w/ aluminum wheels. to me thats the best looking alternative.

....welcome aboard....
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

Simulators here.  They are starting to look a little worn; not sure if I'll replace them or hunt up some Alcoa's.  I lean toward simulators as I have lots of hobbies and need to spread the cash out while staying under the wifes currency radar.  Probably better make up my mind before the kids hit college and suck up all the money anyway!

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »

What about CHROME ?

Mine has alcoas on the steer & chrome on the rears. The best lookin' parts on mine Cool

Kyle,
Keep a good eye on those ghrome wheels! I had 1 trailer that had chrome instead of Aluminum when I was truck'n and no matter who or where they pulled that trailer, they got pulled around back and inspected all the time! I finally asked 'em out in Banning, CA how come it seemed like that trailer seemed to "cause inspections", and the DOT officer's response was. "These chrome wheels are known for cracking from excessive heat, so we're looking out for you as well as the public you share the road with!" Wow was I floored so I started watching them much more closely and yep sure enough 1 cracked around the center of the bolt pattern. So I replaced all 4 (only had 'm on the outside 4 looks!). I know you won't have the DOT pulling you over, but for safety sake check 'm regularly!  BK  Grin

As far as chrome won't get ya home that's what dad used tell me! And yes my response was the same! LOL! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »

I have simulators on my 5A but have been thinking about having the wheels powder coated. Anybody done this?  Cost?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »

Hey, BK;
Are you saying that the chrome plated steel wheels are prone to crack around the holes for the lug nuts?  The steel itself, rather than just the plating?  Is that because the steel was somewhat annealed or hardened from the plating process?  Hmmm.  Just wondering.  Whoda thunk!?

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 05:35:25 PM »

This is a one page site on wheel care. It says that chrome wheels require more care than painted wheels.

http://www.nascarcustomwheels.com/cleaning.php
Brian K

'64 PD4106

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »

Hi Paso One,
    I have simmulators on my GM. They are stainless steel and are easy to maintain plus look good. You don't have to remove the wheel to install them. I got mine from Hub King and I like them. About a month after putting them on I lost a hub cover on the left front and when I went to order a new one Hub King replaced it for no charge. One thing though, is that I had to notch out around the valve stem area to have good clearance there. These make any bus look good.

Brian K

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »

I have simulators on my 5A but have been thinking about having the wheels powder coated. Anybody done this?  Cost?

Powder is the ONLY way to go!!!!!!! I do allot of metal work (sculpture, architectural metal, Hot Rods) and I use powder coating EVERY chace I can!! It's great and lasts a l-o-n-g time. If you were going to have someone paint your wheels for you, powder would not be much more expensive...if at all. But if you're doing it yourself, well.........
  Powder coaters vary in what they charge. The powder is cheap, but their labor- and how proud they are of it- is where it costs.
  But my suggestion is if you want paint, use powder. Plus they have virtually every color imaginable right down to "candy's" and "pearl's".

Always colorful                (I'm told)
           Chaz

BJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »

had Okla chrome on my first 2 buses. decided not this one so I went to the salvage & purchased freightliner alums at a very good price 6 for $300.00 Not going to polish them or my stainless. Got them for not only looks but weight deduction
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: