Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 26, 2017, 11:25:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown "Atomic" or MCI MC8?  (Read 1361 times)
Atomic_John

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »

Hey All!

I've been working towards buying a 1974 Crown "Atomic", but now another has turned up in much better condition and that seller also has an MCI MC8.
Both have DD 8V71 engines.
I know the MCI has better support, but the Crown is sooooo cool!

What are some opinions on each platform?

John

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »

Does the Crown use air bags?  Leaf springs give a really hard ride.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »

The unique thing about a Crown with 8V-71, is it is a rear engine with truck frame. Everything on a Crown was off the shelf truck stuff. And if it is a rear engine, probably tandem rear axles, but only one powered. Check on the Crown if it is air suspension. Personally-I would go for the Crown-they are so cool and just not used much-ESPECIALLY the rear engine Crowns. Post a picture if you can! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »

The Atomics and other three-axle Crown tour buses had only one axle powered, unlike the school buses that are true tandems.   All the tour buses have air suspension with Firestone air bags all round, two per rear wheel and one per front wheel.   (Geoff, even the steel sprung Crowns like mine ride really well, because they used proper coach springs and not regular truck springs.)   The high-level tour buses have huge underfloor storage lockers, and the Atomics had Webastos as standard.   The Atomics did not have loos in the back, so that's one less thing to deal with.   One difference from the school buses is that the Atomics are 24 volt  -  actually there are many other differences, so don't expect too much parts interchangeability with the more common school buses.

Where are you located?   If you're in the Southern California area my friend has an annual Crown and Gillig get-together next month  -  he has an original Atomic from Idaho.

John   

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Atomic_John

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »

I'm in Idaho, so these critters are local. The one I've been working towards buying is in a local back yard and has only been run off and on the last few years. The owner put fresh batteries in last weekend and it fired right up! Iam worried about the air bags and it will need a couple of tires, at least. All the seats are removed.

Yes, rear engine, yes tandem axle but only one driven.

But as I was researching them, I found that a local transporter has decided to retire their Atomic and an MC8. Depending on price, I may be better off with the higher-mileage, but consistently maintained, bus. The mechanic said parts are still available (suspension bits are from Kenworth and such).

Why is the loo an issue. I assumed that having it already onboard would be a plus!

https://goo.gl/photos/z9NKLwcvftYEhzxDA

John

Atomic_John

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »

This is what the currently used one looks like (but not the same bus, but same condition).

https://goo.gl/photos/38SmJj58H6XqptZ16

John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:25:04 PM by Atomic_John » Logged
bigred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:47:47 AM »

I'm in Idaho, so these critters are local. The one I've been working towards buying is in a local back yard and has only been run off and on the last few years. The owner put fresh batteries in last weekend and it fired right up! Iam worried about the air bags and it will need a couple of tires, at least. All the seats are removed.

Yes, rear engine, yes tandem axle but only one driven.

But as I was researching them, I found that a local transporter has decided to retire their Atomic and an MC8. Depending on price, I may be better off with the higher-mileage, but consistently maintained, bus. The mechanic said parts are still available (suspension bits are from Kenworth and such).

Why is the loo an issue. I assumed that having it already onboard would be a plus!   That Crown is just "WAY COOL"!!!!!

https://goo.gl/photos/z9NKLwcvftYEhzxDA

John

Rhet Raby           137 Elk Mtn Rd       Asheville N c 28804             1993 Prevost XL
GilligCrown

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:33 AM »

' nothing prettier (or unique) than the Atomic, in my opinion  Wink. My '73 awaits the sale of my '83 Crown schoolie tandem both for budget and insurance purposes. With that and a Gillig tandem on my policy, I do not wish to rock the boat with my agent. Miles unknown, it starts quickly and cleanly. After AEC service, it was a sports bus for the Kimberly, Idaho school district.   

http://cottagekaleidoscope.com/about/#jp-carousel-1128

Paul

Paul, High Desert CA
1981 Gillig Tandem
1973 Crown Atomic
Atomic_John

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »

Thanks for the comments! I really like the '65 Tourer! It looks "Cleaner" to me than the Atomic...

Any ideas what these things are worth? A local vendor has an MC8 for sale for 12,950...

http://www.sellabus.com/sprague-2.html

The seller of the Atomic #244 is asking $4k.

I don't have a price on the local school district bus yet. What would be a fair price on a good condition Atomic?

John
GilligCrown

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »

The '65 tourer has been sold. It's a good runner with a Cummins 220. My Atomic has some rust issues, but I think I can deal with it. As for what an Atomic is worth, there are too few "comps" to render an opinion. I've seen asking prices of $2500 to $22500. Who knows? That said, I'd consider another one for $4K  Smiley. As for the MCI, I suppose it all depends on condition. You know which one I would choose . . . Keep us posted!

Paul

Paul, High Desert CA
1981 Gillig Tandem
1973 Crown Atomic
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »

Very nice group of pictures. That ALF pumper was a nice surprise.
GilligCrown

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Thanks! We're working to "thin-the-herd" a bit. I've got a potential buyer for the schoolie tandem Crown en route from San Francisco today, and a nibble on the '57 Atomic. The ALF (8V71 5-speed) will soon be on the list as well  Wink

Paul

Paul, High Desert CA
1981 Gillig Tandem
1973 Crown Atomic
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »

I had forgotten that GILLIG built buses on truck type school bus chassis hence that sharp one on that IH chassis.
That vintage reminds me of my grade school years back in the 70's since we had 2 IH chassis buses at my grade school about that size.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »

Nice pictures GilligCrown.  The La France triple brings back memories.  Is your 1984 Crown for sale?  Please contact me.  Seems I can not privately contact you.  HB of CJ.

Mod:  Sorry for this post.

Edited addition:  Thank you again.  I will pass.  Darn!  Sad
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:54:23 PM by HB of CJ » Logged
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »

I had forgotten that GILLIG built buses on truck type school bus chassis hence that sharp one on that IH chassis.
That vintage reminds me of my grade school years back in the 70's since we had 2 IH chassis buses at my grade school about that size.
And it's a 4x4 as well!   One seriously cool little bus.  Just imagine making it a mini-RV for forest tracks and offroad trails.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: