Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 08:08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Tires  (Read 3752 times)
Gary Hall - Publisher BCM

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »

I am in need of new tires for my new-old bus.† I considered buying used tires because I will never wear them out as I donít travel that much and know they will stress crack first.† I have a chance to buy some Firestone High Speed Radial 12R-22.5 tires for $250 each for a total of $3456 for 10 tires installed with all of the dang CA taxes.† They also said they donít balance bus tires.† What is this all about?

Is this a good deal, or will I be able to find a better deal for new or used tires in the Anaheim CA area?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Gary
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »

Might be cheaper to drive to Oregon where there is no sales tax anyway.

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »

curious whhhy they took 10 off....... and they should certainly ballance.........unless there are big flat spots from a lock up........

if they have a ballancing machine they are scamming you I just got two new firestones for 350.00 each mounted and ballanced
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »

Last summer had 6 new Michelins installed for $2900.  Mounted, spun balanced, new stems, etc. Personally think you should run the best tires, and my opinion is Michelin.  Course are cheaper tires. And on your bus there are only 8 tires!?  If they won't balance all the tires, find somewhere that does.  All the tires should be balanced at purhase time.  I'm saying this from 1.3 million miles of driving truck.  Good LUck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
captain ron

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:31:59 PM »

My friend just bought a new 45' Prevost with michelin tires. One completely desinigrated on the way home from Florida where he purchased it and another one blew in Las Vegas.... So I'm not so sure about them. Go with what YOU feel confy with and can afford
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »

Ron, it might be possible that he was running low tire pressures; I believe that is the most common cause of tire failure regardless of brand. Michelins generally set the benchmark for everyone else to follow or catch up to. With that being said, I work for a company that uses a lot of tires (UPS), and they seem to get good service out of all of the most common brand names. I see more Michelins than any otherÖ FWIW.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Steve

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »

Hey Gary,  Your bus description says MC7C. Does the last C designate that it was a cargo bus, 20 or so passengers and the rear half of the  interior was for transporting cargo? If so, it should have four sets of duals in the rear( for those wondering why Gary said 10 tires), and does it have a 8v92, which was common in the cargo haulers?  If so, what a find.  Just wondering,  Steve-70 mc-7, fully converted
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »

Hatt, that price for 1200 rubber is real cheap. 10 years or more ago Firestone made some pretty average tires. Then Bridgestone bought them and I trust them as much as any other tire. Check the dot manufacture date on each tire. If they are less than 2 years old that seems like a deal. It almost sounds like a recap price. I never balance my semi tires or my bus tires. I always buy new tires not recaps. If a tire dealer sells me a tire and it is out of balance, he can take it off my truck and give me a good one, as I won't buy it. (maybe he can sell it to someone else). If you have puncture damage to a tire and you choose to keep the tire in service balance it. Otherwise, any truck/bus tire that exhibits balance problems needs to be removed immediately. I think that is what your dealer meant when he said,  NO BALANCE.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »

It is true they can make a tire that is ballanced from the factory, however they cannot make it truely round nor can they make your wheel ballanced.

Alot of truckers do not ballance trailer tires and some do not ballance their driver's either, why I do not know.....Trailer I understand.

If you are looking for the smoothesst ride available, get them ballanced.......beleive me a out of ballance tire, not to mention one out of round can shake the living crap out of your bus.

If you are really particular you can have your tires trued on the wheel........smoothest possible ride.

As for the 8-92 being common in the MC-7 Combo's....this is incorrect as all MC-7 combos were retired by the time the 92 series was available

as a point of info...the MC--7 combos all have scenicruiser drivelines and none were from the factory that way.......all retrofits/rebuilds
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »

Not quite true that MC-7 Combos had Scenicruiser drivelines. They had Scenicruiser rear suspension but all had automatic transmission, four had Cat engines and the rest had 8V71N engines.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:05:34 AM »

Two summers ago I put 6 new Goodyear 670RV tires on my Thomas. 295/80-22.5 Load Range H. $212 each from Wingfoot.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »

tekebird, I really have to respond about the tires. Believe me they can and do make round tires. When you mount new tires they are always marked where to put the valve stem in relation to the tire. The lightest weight spot on the tire is designed to be offset by the weight of the valve stem. If you are buying tires that are not marked in this way you deserve to spend $20.00 a tire to run an inferior product that needs balance. If a wheel is not damaged or greasy on the inside, and it better not be, it will be in balance. Real truckers do not balance new tires and there is no real world difference between the trailer and the steer. Its cheap to run high quality tires on every position. Its very expensive to be broke down. I've only blown one steer tire in a career. glad it was not in my coach with the family. Truck and bus tires have nothing in common with car tires. truck and bus tires are rated at about 6000 lbs each. with 6000 lbs on a tire it will not bounce or shake, until it is defective (it fails). If you have a tire on your coach, that to use your words, is shaking the living crap out of your bus, REMOVE IT NOW, it has already failed.

Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »

every large trucking company around me ballances at least the tractor....as do all of the bus companies.......wonder why that is?  Perhaps they are not REAL

My Tire dealer ballances every tire they mount...and do not charge for it.

why do new buses and trucks come with tires that are ballanced?

And I beg to differ.....a truck or buss tire will indeed shake due to being out of ballance

if you would like to bring your bus or truck by I will add a few weights and prove it to you

We have three coaches in my family.....none run retreads, two run michilins all around and all of those tires were mounted properly and indeed were out of ballance.  Now those two coaches have harmonic ballancers so that is taken care of, One was extremely out of ballance.

An out of ballance tire does not mean it is defective by any means

And I have never had anyone tell me WE DON"T BALLANCE TIRES ON TRUCKS OR BUSES.......while I have had truckers tell me they don't ballance thier trailer tires becasue they don't give a crap how the trailer rides.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:17 PM »

that being said........do what you want.......if you have no vibration and you get one with new unballanced tires..........have fun trying to convince the tire guy to give ytou new ones because they are defective. 

Side note,

I know a guy who trues tires....on the wheel.......now this is symple geometry......fixed blade......spinning tire.....excess rubber (out of round) comes off.

try it on a car or truck or bus......jack the bus up....put a block next to the tire.....spin........notice the distance between the tire and the block

NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »

tekebird, I'll agree about the tire man. The service you get has a lot to do with how many tires you run. Today I have 592 truck and trailer tires on the road and 20 bus tires on the road. I don't take time to tune up my tires, they are either good or bad and the bad ones become someones problem that doesn't haul my family or my freight, and I won't mix snake oil with hazardous materials as I take my responsibility to public safety very seriously. In the 70's we ran some caps on trailers. I had one come apart and poke a hole into the side of a load of gasoline. I heard it blow, but I was not ready to see a 1 in stream of premium gasoline running out the side of the trailer onto the brake shoes. I don't buy cheap tires either. I've been on Bridgestones since we bought the first rail car load in 1970. Just my personal favorite thru millions of miles of use, now the  tire  manufacturer of all tires on new Peterbilt and Kenworth Trucks. I'd like to step out there one more time and say I don't feel anyone should be running tires that are more than 7 years old (DOT 3 week 00 year) Tires are cheap, why ask for trouble?

Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 04:06:50 PM »

The steel wheels on buses are balanced if they have the suffix "C" attached to their number.

Mine are 27834 C.  that is an Accuride number.

I got this info from Accuride.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »

Hi NJT 5573. The Michelin website says to replace tires at 10 years!!!!   I'm not disagreeing with you just reporting what the Michelin site says.  Over the years I have heard from lots of people I respect 6/7 years. But with liability and such, Michelin is willing to put it in print, makes you wonder.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »

My michelins blew out at 7 and 8 years

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 07:03:39 PM »

JJ, I don't believe Michelin is accepting any liability in their statement. I bet if you blow a 3 year old one you can barely get them to let you put it in their dumpster. Do you read their statement as a 10 year warranty? I think on a truck, whats the difference? Last time I had the coach out, I had the wife, 7 of my 8 kids and 8 of the grandkids on board. We run from Seattle into LA with one fuel stop in 19 hours. 17 people, the last thing I want to think about is a crash because I skimped on tires. We use our coach like a sleeper team runs a truck, and travel border to border, coast to coast. Not everyone does. Perhaps my safety perameters are a little tight for all situations. I wonder if Michelin makes a  rubber brake diaphram that will last 10 years! I'm tired of throwing my maxi cans (piggy backs) away every 3 years on my coach.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »

I store my bus indoors.  My first set of Dunlops (when they were made by Dunlop) were 12 years old when I replaced them since they were starting to show side wall cracking.

With all the hoopla of tire age and retreads, isn't strange that the airlines both use retreads and don't have age restrictions on tires?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »

It is interesting. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to run old tires on my coach. At one time I did not want to run recaps either. But There are people on this board that swear the Gators we see on the road are not from recaps. But from new tires. I did not know that the airlines ran recaps. The things you learn here.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 05:31:38 AM »

I store my bus indoors.  My first set of Dunlops (when they were made by Dunlop) were 12 years old when I replaced them since they were starting to show side wall cracking.

With all the hoopla of tire age and retreads, isn't strange that the airlines both use retreads and don't have age restrictions on tires?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom while this maybe true, very few planes rack up many miles on the tires! (except maybe the onr on EBAY in the section! LOL ! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »

You can understand why airlines want to use recaps when you see the tire smoke as they touch down.  Aircraft tires are subject to extensive examination and testing when recapped, much more than automotive tires. However, it caused the death of over 100 people when a DC9 threw a cap into the engine on takeoff at Toronto some years ago. I don't remember ever reading of a plane accident caused by a virgin tire throwing the tread rubber.  Maybe the runways are littered with gators that didn't cause an accident and the frequent blowouts that are reported by the media don't mention the history of the tire that failed.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 08:36:48 PM »

JJ, I recall the gator argument. It went like this. The gators all had steel cord attached when found, therefore they were virgin. This is not a true statement however. The cap is glued to the casing. As the cap comes loose from the casing the bond holds in some places around the casing and almost always takes some steel cord with it. It would be a very poor bond that would shed the entire cap without taking some cords. I have no official study to back me up, but I don't think new tires are in any way to blame for the gator issue. Just my observations!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: